Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Won't travel between levels in two story cage.

rogersmithiii

Cavy Slave
Have three GPs. Built a two story, 48 inch by 60 inch C&C cage. I built a ramp out of 1 x 6 inch pine, and covered it with commercial low pile carpet. The distance that the ramp covers when connecting levels spans 3/4 of the 48 width of the cage, so it's not so steep.

The problem is that the pigs rarely travel between levels. If I put them in the bottom, they stay in the bottom. If I put them in the top, they stay in the top.

I've been hesitant to put the pigs in one level and the food in another because I don't want to starve them. Regardless, one 48 by 60 level isn't enough space for three pigs.

How do I encourage them to travel between levels? Do I need to install an elevator with operator (2cnd floor, lingerie, home goods and notions).

Thanks
Rog

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture?

I've seen some members say that their pigs were happier about ramps that were covered or partially enclosed in some way. Your pigs may just feel too "exposed" on the ramps.

Personally, though, I'd like to see an elevator!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Do you have sides on the ramp? I definitely recommend sides, and possibly a top as well. Make sure the carpet has good grip. And how do you plan to clean the carpet?

You can put treats on the ramp to encourage them to explore, but both levels should have food. Pigs are not climbers by nature, and it can take a while for them to get comfortable with the ramp.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
My piggie would NOT go up a ramp until I gave it sides so I would start off like that . and you could put yummy treats like lettuce and cilantro and carrot and yummy bell peppers!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How steep is the ramp? If it's too steep they won't feel comfortable going up or down.

As has been stated, most pigs won't touch a ramp unless it has sides.

rogersmithiii

Cavy Slave
How high should the sides be? 1 inch? 2?

Last edited:

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Here is a link of a ramp that I like! I think it was made pretty cool!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.