Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this cage made of cubes?

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Moxie

Cavy Slave
Really? Because even with the grids cable tied together there is a thicker like ever 9 squares because of where the two grids meet. Also if you look at the dimensions they would not work with 14 inch grids.

Poohbear

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
It looks like it's made with similar materials, but the sizes of the grids are different from C&C cages. Maybe the grids are custom made?

Moxie

Cavy Slave
I emailed them already....have not gotten a response.

Poohbear

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Maybe it is some sort of coated wire?

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
You can get 12 inch grids.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
It doesn't look like grids to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Moxie

Cavy Slave
She emailed my back this is what she emailed me:

Caging material:
The best caging supplies are from KWCages (www.kwcages.com). The site isn't fully operational but you can download their catalog. They are in located just outside San Diego but do mail order and sell some pre-made play pens as well as condos. The Metro Condo is pretty nice but not as large as my custom ones and don't look as nice as mine (I'm biased <G>), but look much better than the regular galvanized wired cages and should be large enough for a pair of small buns but I'm not sure about a 9 pounder.

As for the condos my buns live in; here's the story:
The "BunnyDome" was the first one I made and took LOTS of love and time. There's a second one for Button and Beau which took as much love but less time because of lessons learned from the first. Here's the basics for both condos. I bought the siding materials from KWCages. You can buy caging sheets and cut them yourselves or have them cut to your specifications for not that much more money (well worth it). The design was the hardest part. The larger you go the more you have to reinforce the structure because the material is not the stiffest stuff. The larger of the two condos I've made is 30Hx24Dx52W (https://www.bunnydome.com/btv/bunnydome.asp) and the smaller one is 24Hx24Dx48W (https://www.bunnydome.com/btv/ButtonVision.asp) and was a lot easier to reinforce. The bottom for each condo is your basic plywood which I covered with maple hardwood flooring left over from a home remodeling project; but you can cover it with contact paper (easy cleaning) then put down low pile carpeting or rubber backed throw rugs (or seagrass mats or anything you'd like).

For structural support I've gone with both 1x1 aluminum (used in the larger condo) or wood 1x1 square rods (used in the second condo - much cheaper). The aluminum is much more expensive than the wood square rods. I put rubber 360 degree wheels (5 or 6) on the bottom of the plywood to make moving them around a lot easier for cleaning (they collect so much hair and poopies underneath!). If you have hardwood floors, make sure you get the "rubber" wheels; otherwise, plastic ones will do (they cost less). Again, the hardest part is really designing what you want. Get good graph paper and draw everything to scale. Double and triple check all measurements. BTW, I used cable ties to secure EVERYTHING... caging sides, shelves, support rods, etc. Use the smallest black cable ties to secure the caging panels; it's so much easier than using steel caging rings and has held up just fine for me. I put carpeting (the small 18"x24" sets you can buy from Home Depot) on the shelves and secured them with the cable ties too.

Basically you can get all your supplies from KWCages and any decent home improvement store (Home Depot for me). When you select your plywood flooring, consider two things: 1) thickness, if you want to put molding around it make sure you pick a thickness that you can match a molding to and 2) stay away from particle board because it's really heavy!

If you have KWCages precut your panels, consider having them turn certain edges (90 degree) by 1"... that gives you a corner edge which adds a great deal of stability thus requires less (if any) additional support (essential for the outer edge of a shelf and any ramps and steps). If you don't do this, you'll have to find another way (1x1 square rods discussed previously) to support the outer edges because it won't be strong enough by itself. I didn't now about this when I built the first "BunnyDome" but had them do it for Button's condo and avoided sooooo much extra work.

Main Condo Body:
Once you've double and triple checked your measurements, place your order with KWCages. Then use 4" zip ties to loosely secure all parts together. Use a zip tie every 6 inches or so; using a figure 8 wrap. You'll go thru a 200-300 of these including mistakes; but don't worry, they're really cheap. Put the back and two side walls together first. Then attach the top roof. I added a 12" door to the roof on the Bunnydome which is placed at the end of our bed; when we leave it open, Grasshopper and Cinnamon will jump up on the bed to join us ;-). Next attach the fixed part of the front wall and attach the shelves where you want. Lastly attach the front door. The order may change depending on your specific design - but that's how it basically went for me. Then I went thru and added enforcements where I thought was needed (the roof will definately need reinforcement or it will eventually sag). The Bunnydome needed extra support for the shelves and any weight bearing platform because I didn't have the turned corners put in the caging material; but, Button and Beau's condo only needed 3 support beams for the roof. To attach supports, cut the rods to length, drill holes close to the ends and attach them to the condo via zip ties. For example, to attach roof suppots, position and attach the support rods ends to the back and front walls of the condo so the roof rests on the support rods. Cover shelves/steps/ramps with carpeting or thick rugs and secure those with zip ties too (just punch a hole in the carpet with scissors). You will want to replace the carpeting/rugs as needed - depending on how messy your buns are. For regular cleaning, just use your bunny's brush and rake it over the carpeting to remove the hair buildup - mist lightly with water beforehand to reduce the amount of flyaway fluff!

Tunnel:
For both condos, I used 6" diameter PVC tubing to connect the shelves (find it in the plumbing dept of any hardware store, Home Depot, etc - they come in 2' lengths) - you might want to see if they have a larger diameter as I don't know if 6" is large enough for a 9lb bun - mine are all 3lbs - 5 lbs. "Cement forms" may be another option for tunnels as they are round and come in 10" or 12" diameters, just make sure that they will fit in your condo design. They love hanging out in the tunnels and scratching in them (kinda noisy). It's so cute to see a their little paw tips and nose sticking out one end! I've attached the tunnels 2 different ways. For the BunnyDome, I attached 2 long, heavy duty zip ties (14") so that they were able to wrap around the outside of the tunnel. I secured the tunnel with 2 of these to the back wall of the condo. For Button & Beau's condo, I drilled 4 holes in the top of the tunnels (2 at each end of the tunnel, ~ 3" from the end and ~ 2.5" apart widthwise across the tunnel. Then I just used one heavy duty zip tie for each end and secured it to the top of the condo. The 2nd method will allow you to position the tunnel wherever you want (as long as it's along the ceiling), is more stable and easier to secure. The first method is better if you want to be able to angle the tunnel or hang it lower than the ceiling of the condo; but it does require that the back of your condo be fairly rigid (you can always add additional reinforcement) because of the way the bunnies' weight will pull it inwards.

Base Attachment:
So the trickiest part is that you want to make sure you cut the base to approx the size of the finished condo bottom (2'x4' is the best dimension to go with). Since the caging material is somewhat flexible, it doesn't have to be perfect; but the closer you get to it, the less of a struggle you'll have securing the two pieces. First prep your base: attach wheels; add molding (paint or varnish first if you want to and let dry thoroughly); and cover with contact paper if that's your route (our you can thoroughly sand and varnish the whole thing)... basically you just want to protect it from water rot - it doesn't have to look pretty since you can cover over with rugs and such - just make sure whatever you cover the floor with is anti skid or staple it down so the buns don't slip as they jump around. Once your base is prepped, set your constructed condo over the base, then mark the base approximate every 6" or so at cross-points of the cage. Drill hole close to the edge of the base and big enough for the zip tie to fit. Secure the condo to the base using a figure 8 so that the zip tie wraps around cross-points of the cage material. I know this sounds confusing - I hope you understand - if you don't understand, let me know - I'll try to draw a picture. Tip: don't tighten the condo sides securely until you've attached it to the base; this gives you more flexibility while attaching it to the base. Once you've attached the condo to the base, go back thru and tighten all zip ties and cut excess tails leaving just over 1/8th of an inch (don't cut flush or the zip tie might come loose).

Material overview:
Caging materials for sides, shelves, steps or ramp - KW Cages
Plywood base (avoid particle board) - hardware store
molding/trim for base (optional) - hardware store
spray paint or varnish for molding and support rods (optional) - hardware store
5 or 6 360 degree wheels (rubber for hardwood floors) - hardware store
zip ties (200-300 of the smallest size - 4"... very cheap; 12-14" just a few) - hardware store
1"x1" square support rods, as needed - hardware store
2' long, 6" diameter PVC tubing - hardware or plumbing store
contact paper - hardware store
carpeting, bath mats, seagrass mats, etc.
small pictures and other toys for decoration (optional)

The first condo took me forever to put together, but the second one only took 2 days since I pretty much knew what I'd need to do (most of the time was spent waiting for paint to dry, etc. - it took approx 2 hours to design, 3 hours shopping for supplies, 4-5 hours building and assembling... not including wait time). Truthfully, the condo's are a labor of love; but I feel they are quite worth the effort. The buns really love their homes and the condos don't stand out like sore thumbs. I get compliments all the time. Button and Beau live in the living room and their condo really blends in really well.

I didnt really take the time to read it all....was too confusing for me lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.