Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here with a question

M

Makay772

New here with a question

My children got guinnea pigs for Christmas. The pet store said they were both females but now I am starting to wonder. They should both be around 9-11 weeks old

I am pretty much their main caretake which is fine with me because I absolutely adore them. I have been watching their behaviors and the abyssian (sp?) one which is the bigger of the two always lays over the other smaller, straight haired one (like a cross). Plus there is always the rumbling noises that we hear a lot.

I read that sometime females will do that to other females to show their dominance but then today they were acting peculiar and I decided to look at their genitals. They definately don't look the same. I also looked on the computer at a boar and at a sow and both of those looked just like both of my guinnea pigs.

What are the first signs (symptoms) that a pregnant guinnea pig have?

Is there something I should do right now even before I know if she is in fact pregnant?

Thank you in advance...you will probably be hearing more from me especially if she is pregnant...I will need some help, I am sure!

B

Briana D

Re: New here with a question

So you think you may have a male and female?

Please check the following link on how to correctly sex a guinea pig: cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

You may also want to know that statistically 20% of sows die during pregnancy. If you suspect your pig may be pregnant you need to read up on pregnancy to your can be prepared for everything.

You should separate your pigs if you think your female may not be pregnant, although she probably already is. It is safe to house them together but once she gives birth you have to separate her from the male to keep them from back breeding. If you back breed there is ever more of a chance of something happening because of the stress the sow has taken from that last pregnancy.

You my feel bad about separating them but think about the complications your female may have - there is a chance you may loose her.

I wish your sow luck.

Also read all about pregnancy on : cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm and guinealynx.info/breeding.html and just read up about cavies here: guinealynx.info/

You may also want to join the Guinea Lynx forum at: www.guinealynx.info/forums/

Everyone there is very experienced and will tell you how to help your sow through her pregnancy.

Again, good luck to your sow.

M

Makay772

Re: New here with a question

Thanks for these sites..they really are helpful!!!

Attachments

Snickers.jpg Skittles.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.