Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

My Ethel finally delivered!! Help...please?

• Thread starter wonderwoman9205
  • Start date

wonderwoman9205

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend and I recently got 2 cavies named Lucy and Ethel. Well we took Lucy to the vet for a spot on her face only to find out that Ethel was pregnant. So I tried to find out as much as possible on what to do before she delivered....and well Happy Halloween we got 2 pups tonight! WHAT DO I DO NOW? I've never owned a cavy and I have NO idea how to care for one post labor much less care for the pups. Any suggestions?

Our Big Moma Ethel

Our Lucy Bug

And our new babies!!

Seonta

Cavy Slave
The babies need to stay with mom until they are 21 days old, then they need to be sexed to find out if they are male or female. All males need to be removed from mom and her cage mate at 21 days of age. Make sure Lucy is a female. The babies are adorable, I would do some reading on the forum to make sure they get the proper nutrients. They will start eating veggies early but let them stay with mom because they could use her milk too.

If Lucy is a male, then sadly Ethel is likely already pregnant and having pregnancies back to back is extremely taxing, dangerous, and could lead to her dying- perhaps the pups dying too. So double check.

wonderwoman9205

Cavy Slave
The vet says Lucy is a girl but I have her in a seperate cage right now because I'm not sure how she'll handle the babies or how Ethel with tolerate her. What do I do about Ethel not wanting to let the pups nurse?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sows make great Aunties and often help out with the pups. You can safely put Lucy back with Ethel.

If Ethel is not nursing the pups, just make sure they have access to plain high quality pellets, unlimited grass hay and start offering small amounts of veggies.

wonderwoman9205

Cavy Slave
I thought I would be courageous last night and put Lucy and Ethel back together for a while well it went horribly. Lucy started sniffing the babies and got aggrevated with one and nipped at it and Ethel bit her. Is there anyway to help them bond?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Did you just put Lucy back into the cage with Ethel and the pups or did you do intro's on neutral ground?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ly, are you implying that if two bonded GPs have been separated for some reason, they need to be re-introduced on neutral ground? or did Lucy just need the re-introduction because of the pups? Thanks!

Seonta

Cavy Slave
To answer the question in the post above this: Always reintroduce on neutural ground because the smells of the guineapigs that haven't left the cage could overwhelm the one you are putting back in the cage and cause them to be defensive which in animals is often biting and growling.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Ly, are you implying that if two bonded GPs have been separated for some reason, they need to be re-introduced on neutral ground? or did Lucy just need the re-introduction because of the pups? Thanks!
If it was just a case of re-introducing the two adults to each other again, a newly cleaned cage would be ok but you never want to put pigs who have been separated for a time back into the others cage without at least cleaning it first.

In this case it's more because there are new pigs involved, ie: the pups, you would want to do introductions on neutral ground.

fieryone

Cavy Slave

My first two bonded pigs (also named Lucy and Ethel lol) were separated for 5 days in the first month of having them because Lucy had some sniffles (that turned out to be nothing but maybe a sensitivity to wood shavings?). Silly me put her back in the cage with Ethel after those 5 days and it was a nightmare. We had to do intros again on neutral ground. So depending on how long these pigs have been separated and with the addition of the pups, it's likely that they would need to be re-introduced even if they were a bonded pair.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.