Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Star Gardener

M

Makay772

Star Gardener

You mentioned in your reply to my post that there are signs when a guinea pig is pregnant. Could you please tell me some and how early in her pregnancy would she show them?

I think I read somewhere that they will drink more water but since we have only had them since Christmas, I don't really have anything to compare it to (if she was drinking more water I wouldn't know).

Thanks

M

Makay772

Re: Star Gardener

One more thing...The vet that I had check them is not the one I would have doing any procedure on either of my guinea pigs. I just chose to take them there because they had an open appt and they weren't charging me anything.

I take my other pets to another vet who I really like. I just don't know if they care for guinea pigs..I will find out tomorrow.

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Star Gardener

Makay, the signs are really quite simple. Yes, sows will drink more water if they are pregnant. Further, they will start to fatten up on the sides. You should be able to tell easily if they are pregnant or not. And sometimes if you look closely, you can see their babies kick. Also, pick up your sow very gently and fill around her belly. You should be able to tell if she's pregnant or not. It's very obvious once the signs really start to show.

And yes, don't forget to check with your vet and make sure he/she is very literate with Guinea Pigs.

All the best luck to you! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.