Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Galahad is anorexic

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

Not sure why I write on here, I guess I just need a bit of comforting. I had to bring Galahad to the vet as he had not been eating at all. He was still nibbling a week ago, but it was really hard to monitor is food intake as he was always hiding when we were around (newly rescued pig with traumatic past, poor thing). 2 days ago, I put him in a separate cage to monitor his food intake and he was not eating at all or pooping/peeing! We rushed to the vet (the vet hospital is brilliant and they have a vet who is GREAT with piggies). She immediately spotted the problem: he was in great pain because of an ear infection and wasn't eating, so was in an even worse shape, etc. A vicious circle. He had lost so much weight... What really gets to me is that we had to see a vet (from the same place) because Galahad had a tilted head (which according to Guinea Lynx is a sign of infection). But by the time we manage to see a vet (not the great one of course!) the titling had gone so he said that Galahad was OK. But he wasn't!

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I am just really anxious as I lost a pig (just before I got Galahad) because of GI problems. I am so glad I saved up some money as a "piggy fund". My partner and I are really skint, but at least, the pigs have everything they need.

PS: Galahad has to be given a sort of paste with nutrients and fiber in it, as well as antibiotics for his ears. Poor thing.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Hawise, is Oxbow's Critical Care available to you, usually through the vet? Force feeding with a syringe (a catheter syringe has a larger "nozzle") keeps them going until their own appetites pick up. If it's not available, a mash of pellets and pureed veggies (bell peppers, even lettuce) is a reasonable substitute. GuineaLynx has a section on hand feeding that would be helpful. Been there, done that and I know how nerve racking it can be. I wish you well and, please, keep us posted.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Ah poor Galahad :(
I hope he gets better soon!

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Thank you Toadies and Laura.

He pooped! Ok, it was a soft one, but it is here! Still not eating or drinking though. He sniffs the food but then goes away. The vet checked his teeth and cheeks with a kind of "mouth scissors" (don't know how it's called!) but there is nothing wrong there. So why can't he at least nibble?

Thanks Toadies, I'll try your suggestion for a replacement of Oxbow Critical Care. Unfortunately, I do not have any left and the vet did not give me any. But I'm just going to try to serynge feed him as you suggested. Poor little guy.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Remember, Hawise, you're the mom and you can make your "kids" eat their veggies. He will probably resist, but don't give up. Sometimes several small feedings a day works better because it doesn't stress them out as much. Pureed veggies will stay OK in the fridge for a couple of days, so you can make up a good sized batch ahead of time. You should probably give him water by syringe as well, just to be sure that he's getting enough. Remember, patience and perseverance. They don't eat when they don't feel good, even if they don't have mouth issues.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Thanks Toadies for your advice, I really appreciate it.

I have made a puree of pellets but I'll add some veggies tomorrow. The least we can say is that he didn't like being force fed! But hopefully it will help him feel better. I give him a little bit (4 syringes) every 2 hours: is this enough or does he need more?

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Anything is better than nothing. Just try giving him as much as you can. What size syringes are you using?

Hawise

Cavy Slave
It's a 1ml one, narrow at the end (it seems that all vets in the UK give out the same ones!). I can can slide it between his jaws on the side. Poor little chap. He seems to like his antibiotics though!

He is even more nervous now. We've had him for about 2 months and he's still really scared of humans :(

Thanks again Toadies.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
If you're having trouble getting the slurry through the syringe, try putting an ice pick through the hole (from the inside of the syringe) to stretch/enlarge the hole. You can warm the syringe and/or ice pick in hot water to help it stretch out. See if you can get 3-4 syringes down him at a time. That's still not much compared to what they eat in a day, but as said before, it's better than nothing. He doesn't feel good and that makes him more nervous. Just be calm, hold him, speak softly to him and continue to be patient. You're doing fine.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Thanks Toadies for all your advice. I try stroking him softly, but he just wants to get away from me. I would speak to him, but the lil' chap is deaf. Maybe he's like deaf persons and can feel the vibrations?

I am going out tomorrow for some fresh veggies at the market: I'll try to tempt him with fresh cilantro, as he loves this!

Thanks again Toadies.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Galahad is still not eating. He's not even pooing or peeing despite syringue-feeding him. So it's another trip to the vet.

I don't want to lose another guinea pig.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
I have an emergency appointment with the vet very soon. Galahad is now passing urine and poo but there is blood in them since this morning. I am at a loss. I don't mind staying up all night to stay with him, poor little chap. I can't even write properly: I don't want my Galahad to die. I don't even dare touch him other than to give him his medicine, as I don't want to add to his pain. I sometimes wish I were a vet, in order to know what to do as soon as there is a problem.

I read on Guinea Lynx that it could be a URI or bladder stones. I now make double sure that Galahad is kept dry.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
The Poor baby!! I hope the vet gives him something to ease the pain and remove the problem once and for all! Galahad I have nothing that rhymes with your name so I am sorry but you cannot go to the rainbow just yet for I won't be able to remember you in a poem so you better pucker up little one!!!

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Aww, you're sweet gizzyandme. I tell you, Gizzy is one lucky little piggy with a friend as nice as you. You actually made me smile.

The vet is brilliant. She gave him pain med the last time we went, and it helped him during the weekend. But this morning... Ugh, I hate seeing him so feeble and not being able to help.

I can't wait for the appt! My vet's only flaw is that she never explains what's wrong in detail. I know I'm not a vet but I'm not dumb either and I like knowing/learning: I will have to ask for more details as I can't stand being so helpless around him.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Back from the vet. She was brilliant again. She could see that the blood was coming from a little "wound" (can't remember the exact name) inside.

Galahad was admitted to the hospital for them to monitor his health and adjust/add medication as needed. The vet said that if Galahad did not improve within 4/5 days despite the treatment at the hospital, we would have to consider putting him to sleep. Needless to say that I don't even want to contemplate this now. I am still sore from losing Sir Lancelot.

My heart is weary now.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I am sorry; I hope he gets better! I'm glad you were able to get him to the vet.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Galahad passed away. Angels will have another pet to cuddle tonight. The humans left behind are devastated.

Heady

Cavy Slave
Aw, Hawise! I'm so sorry! I just started reading this thread today, and I was hoping the ending would be that he's all better. I'm really, really sorry.

Rachelle15

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.