Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Not Square?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I looked through the galleries today and I didn't see any cages that were not square or rectangle AND made of C&C. I am wondering if anyone has ever made an oval or round type cage or any other non-right angle cage?

I was thinking of when we make the "L-shaped" cages this month, making a round kitchen loft (made of 6 grids, bent slightly) that goes right above the part where the corner of the "L" is. Or even a hexagon would work, I think.

I'd love to see one! Did I miss any? I went through all 19 pages of the open multi-story gallery pages!

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen any either, but I can hypothesize that the reason is probably that it would be more difficult to cut coroplast to fit one properly. What are you planning on using for the floor of the loft? If it's coroplast- what'll be your method? I'd love to be more creative with the cage's shape once we move to our new place.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I have an oval cage! It's made out of old curved acrylic archs.

It looks odd but for size referance the hidey at the front is a large rabbit one, the water bottle is a largr 32 oz one. This is all the origional arrangement so not how it looks now but you get the idea.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3929765536_4b6f8e331a.jpg

It says it's too big to attach the pic :crazy:

Last edited:

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen any either, but I can hypothesize that the reason is probably that it would be more difficult to cut coroplast to fit one properly. What are you planning on using for the floor of the loft? If it's coroplast- what'll be your method? I'd love to be more creative with the cage's shape once we move to our new place.

Yep, coroplast. I have a method in mind. I would cut the round bottom piece, then a piece that would be the sides. I would attach the sides to the bottom of the round bottom piece, with tabs. I have a special hot glue that I got that holds really well and is used for gluing one plastic to another (since coroplast is hard to glue).

Oh, this is hard to describe! Think of it this way - when you sew and you need to sew something circular or something with a hole, you usually cut little tabs that fold over, since the fabric doesn't just fold over nicely without creasing. Hope that makes sense!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I have seen an oval-shaped cage in the gallery. If I remember correctly, the cage was places on an oval-shaped table. I can't seem to find it anymore.
I personally won't use a round cage. I live in a one bedroom apartment and space is very limited.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
I think people make C&C cages square and rectangle is because guinea pigs like to poo and pee and eat in a corner? And because there easier to make.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
I think it's easier to have right-angles because the connecters fit and so does fleece. Also, they fit in corners better. However, I have seen many outdoor and playpens that are odd shapes!

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Squares maximize your space too. I lose about a sq foot for the corners being cut on mine. But I had those acrylic peices so I figured I'd see how it went.

Heady

Cavy Slave
JD, I like that oval cage!! Although I'm not a fan, I will say that it resembles a NASCAR track and I'm picturing the piggies running laps as if they were cars :p

In a thread that I created about whether or not the cage has to be a rectangle, blackarrow put some ideas in my head when she asked if I was wondering if the cage could be a hexagon, a fan shape or baseball field shape and I thought it was brilliant that she thought of those shapes! While I'm sure it would be a lot of work, like she suggested, it would still be so neat to have such unique angles to the cage!

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
JD, I like that oval cage!! Although I'm not a fan, I will say that it resembles a NASCAR track and I'm picturing the piggies running laps as if they were cars :p

In a thread that I created about whether or not the cage has to be a rectangle, blackarrow put some ideas in my head when she asked if I was wondering if the cage could be a hexagon, a fan shape or baseball field shape and I thought it was brilliant that she thought of those shapes! While I'm sure it would be a lot of work, like she suggested, it would still be so neat to have such unique angles to the cage!

I was thinking of laps at first also! But then I thought maybe it would make a better kitchen.

Well, the round loft would stick slightly off of the edges, so I think it would be a little bit bigger than if I did a square (2x2) one in the same area. The base of the circle would be made of 2x2 grids like you would do for a 2x2 loft, but the the round part would rest on that base (with extra support underneath of course). It's hard to describe these sorts of things and hope people get it! :unsure:

Yes, I love the ideas of the unique shapes also! I read that thread and it got me thinking! I'm always ready to try something new, especially if it benefits the piggles!

This is what I am thinking of (not drawn to scale obviously):

What do you think?

Oh! I forgot to say this - there are 2 groups of 3 boars each that would go in each of these sort of set ups (2 "L-shapes" like above). That should be enough room, right? They are currently in two 2x5's and I feel that is too small and a rebuild is in order. The two cages put together would form a U shape in my room. I want to give them plenty of room to try to keep things harmonious!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.