PDA

View Full Version : how can I give my cavy floor time ?

tinycavy
02-24-05, 06:54 pm
I have three dogs and there pretty used to tiny(my guinea pig).But the still could hurt her!I cant keep my dogs outside during the hole time of floor time.Any ideas?

guineagurl
02-24-05, 07:20 pm
Can you put the dog into another room with the door shut or likewise for your pig?
How big is the dog?

tinycavy
02-24-05, 07:31 pm
i have three small dogs.I could probley put tiny in one rooom a;lon with me.

thanks

LuvMyPiggers
03-11-05, 11:59 am
This is another animal but it kinda relates. My aunt has 1 pit bull and 2 german shepards who ae the cutest little things around humans, but their instincts take ove when it comes to my aunt's ferrets. So when we want to play with the ferrrets we take them in another room (An empty bathroom) and play witht hem in there.

Piglet
03-11-05, 01:04 pm
Yeah, it would be easier to put the pig in another room rather than 3 dogs

guineagurl
03-12-05, 04:52 pm
I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to a pitbull dogas cute.

DaCourt
03-15-05, 03:07 pm
Pit bulls are like any other dogs...some are cute, some aren't.

Louis
03-18-05, 04:47 am
Well you guys are unlucky mine guinea pig get a mimuin 8 hours of outside running around on the grass time a day. I closed off a few area's around the back of the house, added a few hiddie holes, made sure he could not exsape , speaking of outside time i better put him in his cage its 6:00 in the noon

pennick
03-18-05, 07:34 am
Well you guys are unlucky mine guinea pig get a mimuin 8 hours of outside running around on the grass time a day. I closed off a few area's around the back of the house, added a few hiddie holes, made sure he could not exsape , speaking of outside time i better put him in his cage its 6:00 in the noon
Is your piggy area free from any animal getting in?

Louis
03-19-05, 01:32 am
Not really we dont have any other pets and if bozo get scared he will run into hole

guineagurl
03-19-05, 05:01 am
What about protection from above? or cats etc

Poohbear
03-19-05, 07:24 am
I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to a pitbull dogas cute.]

That is not very nice. Would you like your dog being called not cute?

Piglet
03-20-05, 07:36 am
I loooove pitbulls! Louis, how the hell can you be responsible for a guinea pig when you can't even spell correctly.

tinkerbell
03-20-05, 12:53 pm
well we can't all live in Australia, now can we? you are so luck to be able to have all that space and such. I am extremle jolouse of you.

And piglet just because she has bad speling dosn't mean that she isn't responsible. I have horrible spelling but I'm extreamly responsible.

no hard feeling to any one: I love you all :0)

guineagurl
03-21-05, 04:28 am
I don't have a dog, I have guinea pigs.

My sister was attacked by a pitbull when she was a kid so I still say they are NOT cute, (only a few years ago) especially when theyr'e teeth are locked around a 7yr old's throat.

MHO

*Piglets-Angel*
03-21-05, 02:12 pm
ALL dogs are CUTE!!!! AnD pitbulls, AnD rottweilers, who says all of them are mean? To tell you the truth out of a %100, %70 percent of pitbulls are nice, I dont know why people say that pitbulls are mean they are like any other dog, they are ALL cute, and most are nice.

guineagurl
03-21-05, 03:55 pm
Wel,l come back and say that afte the doc has stitched you up.....

I don't hate dogs, I just don't like that breed.

DaCourt
03-21-05, 03:57 pm
If any dog had their teeth around a child throat I would say they aren't cute. But then again, cuteness has nothing to do with it.

What makes a pit bull mean? The wrong owner. It sickens me when I see pit bull puppies with heavy chain link collars on. Why would this happen? Because their idiot owners want to make them bigger, stronger, meaner. Is it the dog's choice? No Fricken way!!

I am sorry for what happened to your sister, but don't blame ALL pit bulls. If one of your pigs attacked you would they all be mean. If one person from a particular country (Say, Italy, Germany, Ireland, etc...) hit you, would they all be agressive? NO NO NO NO NO!!! Don't generalize.

guineagurl
03-21-05, 04:11 pm
I think I'm entitled to my own opinion on what dogs I like and what I don't.
Pitbulls were bred as fighting dogs and with the right owners they I'm sure could
be lovely pets but as a mother I'd never trust them, they can't help it, its instinct.
I'd have to admit as a puppy maybe 4-8 weeks old, I'd say they are CUTE, but after that I think to some extent theyr'e aggressive nature kicks in. (moreso with terrible owners than families or where they have been in fights and not socalised as pup's))
Even shelters say so. I wasn't generalising because if I was, I'd be more inclined to say I hate ALL dogs, don't you think?
I like dogs, I've had a rotty who I loved, a staffordshire bull terrier who I adopted at 13 yrs old so they wouldn't put her to sleep, a maltese, a dobermanXridgeback, a mix of a few, and I am considering buying a St bernard soon so I think that shows I do like dogs, I just don't trust pitbulls. And it's a shame because the other week there was a really sweet girl at the shelter but her breed made me walk away. She had lots of scars so it would be a BIG risk when I have small kids.

*Piglets-Angel*
03-21-05, 04:24 pm
Bad owners are what makes them mean, and also, if you feed them meat, thats when they become a pitBULL so if you give them love and cut out the meaty meals, they are just normal, sweet, dogs.

guineagurl
03-21-05, 04:36 pm
I'm not a vet but I'm pretty sure not feeding a dog any meat will not do it any good. They need alot of protein/iron/calcium as well as other stuff so by not feeding it meat all you will get is an anemic/lethargic animal.

DaCourt
03-21-05, 05:56 pm
Well, actually you can have a pitbull that was not pit trained. It depends on the anscestry. You are entitled to your own opinions, as am I. You were generalizing about this breed in particular. If that is the way you see it, then I am sorry. I never said you didn't like dogs so I am not sure why you are defneding that fact. I was merely stating that for the most part, pitbulls get a bad rap.

I have been a pet photographer for years. I have photographed pits many times. Only once, did an owner have to tell me to let her pose her dog. She said she was still socializing the dog. I would have respected that from the owner of any breed. I will be honest with you, there is one breed of dog that I am leary about and it is not pits. I will not state teh breed, but I will say, that I am diligent in my dealings with them. Does that mean I think they ar all evil, no. It just means I am respectful of their temperment.

Just an FYI...that dog could have had scars because it was used at bait. It may never have been a fighting dog, but rather a training aid. Now that is sad.

One more FYI...my friend's daughter was in intensive care after the neighbor's dogs, two maltese's, ripped her eye out, bit off two fingers, and ripped a chunk out of her throat. You better watch our for that vicious breed too.

guineagurl
03-21-05, 09:53 pm
Alot of small dogs are temperamental so I can't say I'm suprised but sorry that your relative was hurt by them.
Personally I don't think we should ever 100% trust a dog, any dog can be dangerous.

Also, what doe's FYI mean?

Louis
03-22-05, 03:51 am
Lol this site isnt about pitbulls, and my guinea pig is very happy spending all day roaming the back yard and he is not trapped inside a crappy cage made out of cubes.

Piglet
03-22-05, 05:02 am
Shut up louis. This WHOLE site is dedicated to "crappy cages made out of cubes". why are you on it then? If you so against cages, go away from this forum. You should be congratulating Teresa, she's helped so many pigs by getting them out of the TINY pet store cages.

Piglet
03-22-05, 05:02 am
oh and FYI = for your information

Edit: Another thing louis, are pigs are not "stuck" in their cages 24/7. Most of us give floor time daily. Have you even bothered to look at the photo galleries. People on this board have made huge exercise pens. Have a look at mine!

DaCourt
03-22-05, 11:27 am
Actually...I do trust my two dogs 100%. But that is because I have taken the time to know their personalities, and have taught my daughter to be able to read them as well. The only biting incident we ever had was when my daughter was 6 months old and had 2 brand new teeth on. She decided to take it out on the dog and bit down on the pad of her foot. The dog just sat there and let out a whimpering cry. So, the dog was the victim, and my daughter got a new teeting ring to keep her from doing it again.

Louis, why the hell are you here if you don't like these "crappy cages"? I sure hope you pigs are protected from predators.

tinkerbell
03-22-05, 11:33 am
I'm sorry but I thought that this forum was on floor time and how we can give it not on the topic of pitbulls. I don't want to sound rude or anything but maybe we should start another forum in the kitchen to debate on this topic. Also if you don't like the fact of the "crappy cubes" then get off this site!

tinkerbell
03-22-05, 11:35 am
Also; I trust in my dog 100%! I don't know how you can have a dog in your house hold that you don't trust.

mncavylover
03-22-05, 07:31 pm
(psst--let it go, don't give it attention.)

salana
03-22-05, 07:57 pm
Pitbulls were bred as fighting dogs and with the right owners they I'm sure could
be lovely pets but as a mother I'd never trust them, they can't help it, its instinct.

Pitbulls are more likely to be dog aggressive from what I've seen. Usually when humans are attacked by pitbulls, the owners were training the dogs to attack humans and/or abusing them.

guineagurl
03-22-05, 10:24 pm
I think the point is lost here.
All this began because 1 person objected to my saying I didn't think a pitbull was
a "cute" dog..... and I really still don't.
I won't trust a pitbull around myself or my children, again MY choice!
In the wrong hands they are a very dangerous animal, and god forbid one of
your kids walks past when they are revved up, I prey your babies arne't hurt
while your all too busy "trusting" them!
They can KILL! (As can other dogs also) But this breed has very strong jaws and if they lock onto something, good luck getting them off!~ I believe thats where the saying Lockjaw came from when talking about dogs.
It's not when your sitting there with them I'd be worried about, it's when the adult walks away or whatever.

I agree with Salana, but usually this abuse they suffer is what makes them dangerous and not just towards the owner. (thats the problem)
Anyone out there leaving kids/babies alone with these large vicious dogs is asking for trouble as unsteady babies tend to poke/ hit/grab dogs.

Agree or disagree, I really don't care.
It's all just common sence.

DaCourt
03-23-05, 10:47 am
OK...my original statement was...."Pit bulls are like any other dogs...some are cute, some aren't." That is not an objection to your opinion. It was a statement of my opinion.

Obviously, we are not going to change your mind, and that is fine. However, it would be a shame for someone else to come on here and read your opinion, and decided to put down an entire breed based on that. That is why I offered my opinion...so that both sides could be heard.

There are two types of people who own dogs...people who are DOG people, the ones who get to know their animal, research, understand them, and then the people who just want a dog. You (a collective you) need to figure out what group you fall into.

I love pitbulls. I have never owned one, and don't see myself doing so. WHY NOT, you ask? Because in researching, I know I do not have the time to put into the training of the dog, and working with it to make it a part of my family. This is true for other breeds as well. Standard Poodles take a lot of time because they are so smart. Jack Russell are the same way. I like both of them as well. So you see, the problem is, is that people go out and get dogs without knowing what they are getting into.

Pitbulls can be loving family pets, if they are treated as part of the family, and given the same respect. If you didn't discipline your kids, they would be wild and agressive too. So, you teach them how to behave and get along with others. Dogd, pitbulls, need the same respect.

crittermom
03-23-05, 11:43 am
I agree wholeheartedly that the problem is lack of responsible ownership, but after you've lived next door to an irresponsible family for a few years I can also certainly understand how it would be natural to develop a dislike for the breed, whatever it happens to be. I can say from experience that it's a living nightmare to be afraid to go to the mailbox or take out the trash, not to mention praying for the kids' safety all the time. This dog would throw himself snarling against the fence with enough force to shake it, and we were always reinforcing and replacing the slats ourselves. We had to also build another fence along the original one so that our dog would have less contact with him. On the many occasions when he was loose and we called Animal Control, they didn't respond for a few days and we only succeeded in making the neighbors really defensive. No, it's not the dog's fault, but please let some good owners move into my neighborhood!

pennick
03-23-05, 12:12 pm
Just for the record............

Pit Bulls are animal-aggressive. That means that they have a tendency to fight with other dogs, chase and even kill cats and other small animals. It's breed temperament. The tendency towards this sort of behavior usually begins to manifest itself at about a year of age. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

On the other hand....towards humans

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society that Pit Bulls had a passing rate of 95% -- compared to only 77% of the general dog population. (Beagles scored 78.2%, and Golden Retrievers scored 83.2%) These temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers. Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test

Pit bulls are NOT always aggressive. As I have discussed and will continue to explain further in this section, it is the OWNER that ultimately decides how his or her dog will act in certain situations. They are naturally very friendly towards strangers, but they will become aggressive if their owner teaches them or forces them to be that way.

Pi

Pit bulls are NOT always aggressive. As I have discussed and will continue to explain further in this section, it is the OWNER that ultimately decides how his or her dog will act in certain situations. They are naturally very friendly towards strangers, but they will become aggressive if their owner teaches them or forces them to be that way.

t bulls are NOT always aggressive. As I have discussed and will continue to explain further in this section, it is the OWNER that ultimately decides how his or her dog will act in certain situations. They are naturally very friendly towards strangers, but they will become aggressive if their owner teaches them or forces them to be that way.

Teria
03-25-05, 04:32 am
Can we get back to the topic, please?

Ly&Pigs
03-25-05, 05:12 pm
Louis

Well you guys are unlucky mine guinea pig get a mimuin 8 hours of outside running around on the grass time a day.
All the members pigs here are lucky if they live in a c&c cage, get plenty of good veggies, unlimited hay, water and lots of love. That comment was uncalled for. You are irresponsible for putting a guinea pig outside with no supervision for 8 hours a day. That pig could get picked up by a hawk, be preyed upon by a wild animal and if that animal is determined it will get to your pig whether your pig is in a hidey hole or not.

he is not trapped inside a crappy cage made out of cubes.
As was stated above, this entire site and forum is dedicated to cages made out of cubes and coroplast. I advise you to keep comments like that to yourself or find yourself banned. My pigs are extremely happy living in their C&C cage as well as the pigs of most the members here. They get plenty of floortime and now that it is getting warmer, they will get supervised outdoor play sessions.

grace
03-25-05, 05:18 pm
I have three dogs and there pretty used to tiny(my guinea pig).But the still could hurt her!I cant keep my dogs outside during the hole time of floor time.Any ideas?
buy a door devider like the ones to keep babys from leaveing the room and bloke of the room or just close the door if you have big dogs.or keep the dogs in the house and take tiny out side in a play pin or just the top of a pet stor cage that is very big you can order them on the internet.

guineagurl
03-25-05, 11:34 pm
Dacourt, my opinion is entirely just that, mine.
As you said, I hope people would not put down a entire breed on what I said but I also hope they don't count too much on the "pitbulls are trustworthy all the time" senario some people are trying to say. I know no one said that exactly but you know what I mean. Alot arne't and someone's kid or other could be seriously hurt if they were not vigilant 100% of the time. I don't think it's unhealthy to be aware of what an animal is capable of doing.
I have allways trained any large dog I've had, it's crucial to control them but having said that, training isn't a 100% guarantee that it wont hurt someone badly.

marci
04-02-05, 01:44 pm
About the cubes: I recently joined (obviously) because I'm about to adopt two babies, and the cage my fiance and I constructed after looking through this site is going to KICK A**. I am REALLY happy that people have put so much effort into learning about the needs of guinea pigs and then committing themselves to getting the word out; when I stopped off at our local sign shop, the woman at the desk told me that a lot of people have been coming in to get coroplast for that exact reason. When I explained to her that people see an actual temperment change in their pigs once they upgrade the environment, she seemed pleased that she could be part of the whole process. So, I don't think that there's anything "shitty" about making an awesome home for our little friends.

About dogs: I have two, a cockapoo and a mini schnauzer, and I'm pretty sure that they won't be able to leave the pigs alone during floor time, either. So, my ideas on the topic:

play with them in a seperate room (which may be difficult, because usually the dogs will want to be with you -- their pack -- and will hang out waiting, and also it's sometimes hard to find a suitable room)
gates can be helpful... put em up so your dogs can see you, or so you can see the pig(s), either way.
make a HUGE HUGE cage, so there is always lots of run-room for the pigs.

Cavies4eva
04-07-05, 04:26 am
I may be wrong but you can make her a "pen" out of put towels and vetbeds on the bottom and then put food bowls and water drip in.

Cavies4eva
04-09-05, 03:19 am
sorry I meant cubes, you make a "pen" out of cubes!

WendyK
04-09-05, 10:40 pm
Saying all pit-bulls are mean is like saying all tall people play basketball or all poodles are nice or all apples are crunchy - generalizing has caused some awfully big problems in this world - take a look at world history! WendyK

holli'smommy
04-10-05, 12:43 am
i think that people should be wary of ALL dogs that they do not know, no matter what the breed is. If a parent walked up to any dog they did not know and proceded to befriend it than they are irresponsible. You do not know how other dogs will react to you. So everyone should always be cautious when it comes to unknown dogs and should not approach them. I am teaching my children this. I am not teaching them to only be afraid of one breed but all strange dogs and that any dog has the capacity to hurt and even kill a child or adult. Pit bulls get a bad rep because unfortunatly they are a bit more aggressive than other dogs and if this aggressivness is not properly handled than the dog can get out of control.

holli'smommy
04-10-05, 12:45 am
Also Louis why are you here if you don't even like the C&c cages, you should not be allowed to post here. You are obviously an irresponsible owner if you allow your pig to roam freely when it could easily be killed at any point. When will you realize that? When you come home to discover that it's gone or dead? Do you even care?

LuvMyPiggers
04-10-05, 08:55 am

Oh my goodness.....
YOu are pushing it Louis. That means your pig is outside 1/3 of the day. Which probably means between watching tv and cray fishing (See other board entitled Guinea Pigs Free Run) you only get to see him 1 hour of the day at the most. You are showing serious neglect to your pig(s).

Piglet- Louis, how the hell can you be responsible for a guinea pig when you can't even spell correctly.

Piglet I just love your witty (and true) remarks!

LuvMyPiggers
04-10-05, 08:57 am
Saying all pit-bulls are mean is like saying all tall people play basketball or all poodles are nice or all apples are crunchy - generalizing has caused some awfully big problems in this world - take a look at world history! WendyK

Exactly. Generalizing pitbulls is making some people beat their dogs because they think it makes them "Tough". The pitbull my aunt has is named Lance. He is soo cute (and hyper!) and loves people. He's a mix so he doesn't exactly look ALL pitbull but he is cute!

LuvMyPiggers
04-10-05, 09:04 am
Look at the pitbull thing this way:

YOu can treat your pitbull nicely and get a doggy like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/moomoo2262/pitbullhappy.jpg

Or you can treat it horribly and get a stereotyped style pitbull:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/moomoo2262/pitbull.jpg

Look at this poor pitbull. Owner probably treated it badly then one day it snapped and ended up in a muzzle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/moomoo2262/NYHETER-30s16-pitbull-18.jpg

Cavies4eva
04-11-05, 04:31 am
It's called stereo-type casting

Denise
04-11-05, 03:29 pm
OK all, back to GUINEA PIGS!

WendyK
04-11-05, 06:18 pm
I think that the most amazing thing that's been said on this thread is the following: it all has to do with the way you treat an animal - just about any animal. About a year ago, I adopted an Amazon parrot that had been found after being left out in the dead of a New York winter for five days. Needless to say, for the first two months, this bird screamed and lunged viciously at my hand whenever I went to pick her up from her perch in the cage. I quietly persisted and today this bird, her name is Lucy, enjoys coming out of her cage and snuggling under a towel while I hold her. Lucy plays, laughs and loves getting her special treat - a peanut. I would not have predicted this to happen when I first adopted her a year ago.

guineagurl
04-12-05, 07:43 pm
I know some people who are wonderful pet owner's and can't string a few word's together so I disagree with Piglet.. Mostly with full disability's like Down's Syndrome or severely retarded from birth.
I don't think spelling correctness has anything to do with giving the right care to pet's.

laura220
04-15-05, 09:03 am
Pits are great family dogs and yeah they are cute. The problem is they've got a bad rep!! It's becase of irresponsible people. They are NOT aggressive by nature or born that way. It is the peoples fault because they aren't soclized etc. The people who fight them actually abuse the dogs physically and mentally. It's sad how so many people are against the breed because of real dumb dog owners.

The term pit bull actually refers to any dog breed that are used in dog fights. pit bulls are really American Staffordshire Bull terriers(AmStaff) or Staffordshire Bull terrier (Staffie). So you could easily call a Bedlington terrier a pit bull, they were bred for dog fights back when.

Bedlington terrier pic..
http://www.infor.nl/honden/images/bedling.jpg

Please all watch this video, the whole thing! in the end it's a happy ending!!
http://www.pitbullproblem.tk/

Guinea_Gal
04-16-05, 01:17 pm
Wait, are you saaying *piglets_Angel*, that dogs become aggressive and mean when fed meat? My aunt has three italian greyhounds who are all fed on a pure raw meat diet, and they are definitley not visciuos. I know that you were probably only talking about PITBULLS, but meat is not the rteason dogs are aggressive and attack people.

My opinion on Pitbulls is that it is a combination of a bad owner and natural instinct. A dog that big with those teeth has some instinct therefore has the capacity to attack someone out of the blue, but it is also a result of extremely bed ownership and cruelty.

I just want everyone to know that i am not trying to generalize anything, or make people feel bad, or tell someone on this forum their ideas are completely and totally wrong. All i am stating is my opinion the same as everyone else has on this thread.

I am NOT pleased with some of the language here or the way people have begin to talk to each other.
Not to mention how completely OFF THE SUBJECT we are! This is supposed to be about floor time, not Pit bulls!

Guinea_Gal
04-16-05, 01:18 pm
Oh man, sorry about how completely horrible my spelling was. i just read it. OOPS!

Myspoiltpiggies
04-17-05, 09:23 am
That Pitbull video was horrible at the beginning. So lovely at the end though. Hopefully that'll get into some people's heads that it's not the breed, it's the owner. I can trust my dog with my guinea pigs - I definately could trust them together unsupervised!! But I don't because I'm responsible. There is always a risk. She is soo gentle. She lives with a cat, hedgehog, and guinea pigs - she would never hurt them as she knows they are family, just like herself. If she saw an animal out in the street, that's a different matter.

tinkerbell
04-17-05, 04:15 pm
I almost cried! That was sooo sad at the begginging that I had to close my eyes, and the sad thing is that it's true. I live in the Kitchener- Waterloo area in Canada and they have just passed a pitbull by-law. I hate it! all that this hate for pitbulls is going to led to is them being exiect or something in the future or they will become dogs that are only for " underground" use only. when the pitbull problem is over with then the governement is just going to go to the next breed that has a bad rep and that will problable be the rootwiller or something. It's maddening to think of this but sooner or later that's what is going to come down too,

Louis
04-18-05, 06:23 pm
Bitbulls are nasty aminals also so are cats

dagwellismypigy
04-18-05, 10:11 pm
Hmm, I wonder what Bitbull is, I bet it is native to Louis' backyard.

laura220
04-19-05, 10:57 am
Louis how can you say that? If a pitbull or Staffie is a nasty animal all dogs are. Why cats? You must have had many bad experiences!

Like said by the video you are far more likely to get bitten or attacked by Labs and Cocker Spaniels or even German Shepards and small breed terriers.

Myspoiltpiggies
04-19-05, 11:07 am
Bitbulls are nasty aminals also so are cats
I have to totally disagree with that. My cat is such a lovely little thing. She's ever so sweet, not at all nasty. Lions and tigers would kill people if that's what you mean... but that's just their nature. My cat is 17 years old and now going blind - never in the 14 years I've been born my cat has been a 'nasty' animal.

Myspoiltpiggies
04-19-05, 11:11 am
Louis, have you ever owned a cat or Pitbull? As all the cats I've ever known are lovely animals... Don't know about Pitbulls, as I've never owned one, but from what I believe.. they are just as lovely as any other dog - no better or worse. In fact - ALL animals I've ever owned have been lovely. And I've had a lot of pets!

Rachy1412
04-19-05, 12:12 pm
Why cats? You must have had many bad experiences!

Yes... like one chased his guinea pig because he left it alone outside.

laura220
04-20-05, 06:39 am
Yes... like one chased his guinea pig because he left it alone outside.

Then it was his fault entirely.

laura220
04-20-05, 06:43 am
Lions and tigers would kill people if that's what you mean... but that's just their nature.

Lions and tigers or big cats don't attack unless provoked and in defense. They don't eat people unless starving which is not likely unless they're in an evil zoo.

suzilovespiggie
04-21-05, 05:41 am
I thought a very long time before I answered this post. I am very new to forums of any kind. I don't know all the lingo or what certain things or cymbals mean. If I error I apolagise ahead of time. (I am also not a good speller. I do not have a dictionary with me, I am at work)
I know this is a guinea pig site, but on this post pitbulls came up. I own pitbulls as does my son who has small children. Our pitbulls came as puppies and not full grown dogs. My pits are almost 4 years old. They are brothers and were left by neighbors that moved and left them at 5wks along with another dog. they are the sweetest boys on earth. Never have been mean or aggresive.
I rescued a boxer about 1 year old who had been starved, tied to a tree and had 3 chows attack him over and over. My one pitbull who is my shadow and the boxer started out as friends. The boxer wanted to "own"me and started to attack my pit
who the boxer thought was his rival for my attention. the attacks were to kill and not friendly. The time my pit looked at me like "what is this"? I seperated them everything to keep them apart. Talked to the vet, an animal trainer. Nothing worked
Each time my pit was attacked (he was bigger) he could of killed the boxer. He never did. In fact not once did my pit ever attack the boxer. I was stupid. I thought I could help the boxer. I took 5 bites from the boxer never my pit. 9 stiches in one bite, surgery and nerve damage from another. I had to put the boxer down. The boxer was taught to be mean. My pit did not become mean from this either.

I hate to see pits get a bad rap. They are beautiful smart gentle dogs. I have a rotty
also rescued as a puppy and he can be aggressive. His sister was rescued at the same time and she is a gentle as a lamb. I also have a chow that when she is in a mood she can be somewhat aggressive.
The other thing is the discussion about Louis and his piggies outside. I have cats, dogs, ferrets. My pigs are in my bathroom with closed doors. I have cats and dogs that go in that bathroom (when I am in there) that know I have pigs. No-one or animal pays much attention to the pigs, including the pits. If the ferrets are out , they are a enemy to the pigs, my daughter and I make sure the pigs are locked up and safe.
Many of you have stated dogs, cats, ferrets go after prey. I would never leave my pigs alone with any of my other animals unsupervised. Not for 1 minute not for 8 hours. I lost 2 beloved pigs once to a dog. another rescue that had lived off of rodents in the wild. He didn't know my pigs were not rodents to eat. He was doing what dogs do. I am not sure Louis just loves to argue. It hurts my heart to read post after post about his unprotected piggies. My heart was broken when I lost my piggies because they were not protected. This site with cavy cages, that gives us all info on cages that are big and with lids protecting piggies, for us that have all kinds of other of animals that can hurt pigs. It's a blessing.
I am sorry this is so long. Both these issues are close to my heart.

Rachy1412
04-21-05, 05:57 am
Then it was his fault entirely.

agreed!

Welcome to the world of forums suzilovespiggie!! I am sure you will get the hang of it sooner or later! :p I personally think that pitbulls are so adorable!! I have never had a dog so I don't know about their temperament. You cannot generalise pitbulls because of one accident. Dogs normally attack when provoked or abused.. and I can't really blame them.

I am sorry that you lost two of your piggies! I am glad that you do not let your ferrets anywhere near them! I've always wanted some ferrets but my dad told me that they would eat my rabbits and pigs! :(.

Just one question! :) What are rotty? Is it a rottweiler (sp?)? If so what are they like.. I always wanted a rottweiler!!

laura220
04-21-05, 06:08 am
Yeah, a rotty is a Rottweiler. They're great! A close family friend had a rotty who was recently put down (because of old age I think). That dog was the sweetest thing even when she(the owner) had a baby, the dog never once got jealous and could be trusted easily with the baby unsupervised.

Rotties are very popular in my neighborhood but there are two that are dog-aggressive. One actually attacked me with my two dogs but luckily one bite from one of mine(in protection of me) made him run off. Of course there are some who don't have a bit of aggression in their systems. Rotties do normally get bad reps too.

kacey
04-23-05, 11:20 am
I agree with you DaCOurt. People do not like pitbulls because they hear all these bad stories, but once they actually get to meet one they change their mind.

kacey
04-23-05, 11:21 am
I also do not like dogs with Chainlink collars. It hurts the dog and to be honest it does not really look good.

kacey
04-23-05, 11:22 am
My friends have a rotty and it is the sweetest thing. He wags his tail when you come in and does not bite + they have a three year old in the house and he has never got hurt.

laura220
04-23-05, 01:06 pm
Yeah, choke chain collars are bad. They're commonly or almost always used irresponsibly and incorrectly which ends up hurting the dog.

laura220
04-23-05, 01:17 pm
Ok sorry this is a comment to an old reply on page 2 maybe by Guineagurl.

You said pit bulls have strong jaws so they're more dangerous. Pits or Staffies do have strong jaws but not as strong as MANY other breeds. Bulldogs have stronger holds and jaws! I hate when people only feel uncomfortable or insecure around Staffies because of their bad rep!

Poodles(toy and miniature) are FAR more likely to attack or bite then any Staffie is. Staffies are NOT aggressive by nature and it's NOT in their ancestry as DaCourt said. It could easily be Beagles that are being used in Pit fights and have a bad rep and everybody loves Staffies. No difference!!! It has absoulutely nothing to do with the breed. It all depends on the dogs history and socilization plus training. If a dog has been hit or severely beaten by a man that dog will end up always afraid or aggressive towards men of the same type.

Ly&Pigs
04-23-05, 06:41 pm
If you want to continue the conversation about pit bulls, take it to general chat. This is a warning that one more post on this thread about pit bulls or any other dogs or anything not related to floor time for piggies and this thread will be closed.

CuteFluffyThing
04-30-05, 01:18 am
"Piglet- Louis, how the hell can you be responsible for a guinea pig when you can't even spell correctly. "

You guys realise that your unrelaxed forum trolling behavior is going to end in banning someday?

LuvMyPiggers
04-30-05, 07:18 pm
"Piglet- Louis, how the hell can you be responsible for a guinea pig when you can't even spell correctly. "

You guys realise that your unrelaxed forum trolling behavior is going to end in banning someday?

The sad thing is, it's true....