PDA

View Full Version : Size Possibly adopting a 3rd... cage size??

rahunter
10-26-09, 05:11 pm
We have just rehomed our 2 3-week old boars (adpoted a pregnant GP). I can really tell that the girls miss them. They are not as verbal and seem to be less interested in everything. This really proves to me that they enjoy being in a group. Tiffany is blind and is not very active and I feel that Talloola really needs a friend to play with. The GP rescue in my area has some babies that will be ready in 1 week. We are toying w/ the idea to add another girl.

Right now we have a 2x3 w/ a 2x2 upper loft. It will be difficult to make the cage a 2x4 but I can easily make it a 3x3. My grids are 14" and I use the connectors so it's like 14.5" per grid. Total inside main would be 13.17 sq feet. This would work right??

SamanthaK
10-26-09, 05:19 pm
I know they say bigger is better. I actually have the same question. Is three much more work than two? For some reason the rescues in my area are out of GP so I'm waiting for them to find one that needs a home, I just want to be prepared with what to exspect first.

JD In Van
10-26-09, 05:54 pm
3x3 actually gets you MORE floor space then 2x4. So if you can do that you're golden.

rahunter
10-26-09, 06:14 pm
That's what I was thinking, but it's been a long day.:) The only issue is that I love the ramp that I have and changing to 3x3 would change that too. My blind GP has adapted well to the stair- platform- ramp combo and I hate to change it again. I'm gonna have to think hard on this one....

2pigs2kids
10-26-09, 06:25 pm
Right now we have a 2x3 w/ a 2x2 upper loft. It will be difficult to make the cage a 2x4 but I can easily make it a 3x3. My grids are 14" and I use the connectors so it's like 14.5" per grid. Total inside main would be 13.17 sq feet. This would work right??

I'm new to this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought for 3 pigs the minimum size was 2x5?

akstrohm
10-26-09, 06:35 pm
Yes, the stated minimum for three pigs is a 2x5. With sows you can sometimes get away with a bit less space, and boars sometimes need more. It depends a lot on personalities. A 3x3 falls between a 2x4 and a 2x5. It should work for three sows, but as always, bigger is better and it will depend on the pigs in question.

javim121
10-26-09, 06:38 pm
Never underestimate the adaptability of blind, deaf, or handicapped pets. They cope very well especially if they have a friend to help them. She will have trouble, no doubt, but she will learn what is going on.

2pigs2kids
10-26-09, 06:39 pm
That makes sense, thanks!:)

rahunter
10-26-09, 06:42 pm
I'm new to this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought for 3 pigs the minimum size was 2x5?

Actually, on the home page it states that the minimum for 3 is a 2x4 but a 2x5 is preferred.

tictacgrrl
10-26-09, 07:11 pm
The only thing I'd suggest before going for a 3x3 is to try cleaning it only standing on the side with 3 cubes to see how hard it will. I had a 4'x4' (about 3 1/2 x3 1/2 cubes) and while it wasn't impossible to clean it was difficult.

As long as you think you can easily maintain your pigs with the cage that wide then it sounds good.