PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with cage question

potatohead
02-24-05, 01:03 pm
my girlfriend bought two piggies last week and we already feel the cage we bought from petco is too small. i'm planning on building a cage sometime this month with two levels: 1st level is an obstacle course with the food area on one side and 2nd level will be the sleeping area. i don't want to build another area for the piggies' playtime, so what is a decent size for them to do everything in the cage, including exercise?

Josiah

pennick
02-24-05, 01:10 pm
However big you can go. The bigger the better. If you have the room for a 3 x 4 or 2x5 go for it. The standard size for 2 piggies is a 2x4. I have a 2x4 with 3 levels. My piggies do not get free roaming. I dont have the floor space. They love their home, each and every level. I only wish I had the space to make a 3x4. I would have liked it a little wider.

Poohbear
02-24-05, 01:25 pm
Yes I agree with pennick. The bigger the better. I have 4 cavies at the momment and they will all liv ein a 4x6. Until now only Honey and Coco are living in it and Princess and Queenie and in their quarintine cages.

potatohead
02-24-05, 01:55 pm
thanks. what will be the maximum angle for them to climb? and for the ladder going up to the 2nd level, what is the best material for that?

Josiah

Poohbear
02-24-05, 02:06 pm
I am not sure what the maximum angle they can climb. Look in the gallery for ideas. You cna either used carpet,astro turf,fleece, towels or any other material.

pennick
02-24-05, 02:43 pm
You could pretty much judge yourself about the angle. I took a grid and bent both sides whereas there was enough of a base for them to climb up and the sides since they were bent were used as a safety rail. If you lean it against the grid on your 2nd level and slant it down to the first you will find it to be a couple of inches to short. Mine can jump up onto it. Some may not. You can take another grid and do the same and lay it in the first grid and make the length as needed. This way you have alot more play as to the angle it is. Make it the least steep as you can. I cut up a carpet pad and attached to grid. If you find your piggies eating the carpet just cut a piece of fabric and attach also.

Hope you were able to follow what I wrote.

Piglet
02-24-05, 05:24 pm
No matter how big your cage will be, you must give them exercise. They need a change and stimulation. I certainly wouldn't like to be cooped up in a cage every day!

Poohbear
02-24-05, 05:25 pm
es I agree with Piglet. I let my pigs free range my room mostly every other day.