Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do piggies need to play outside?

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Well, I've been thinking... Stephen stays playing in his cage all day, inside my apartment. Would it be good for me to let himplay outside and get some sunlight? Is it OK?
I think he might want to eat some plants so, what is OK for him to eat if he goes outside?
And... Is it OK to put him on a leash or in one of those plastic balls to let him explore?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
No, plastic balls as a guinea pigs back don't bend like a rat, mouse, or hamster. No, leashes are dangerous. Basically if you have know way of knowing if the outside grass or other plants have been treated with any kind of insecticides then I would say no, just keep him in the house and give him plenty of floor time inside.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
They do not need to go outside. If you take him outside, make sure it is in an enclosed area on untreated grass with no other plants unless you are positive they are safe. He needs to be under supervision at all times.

If you can't meet these requirements but still want to provide him with fresh grass, try growing wheatgrass. It grows well indoors, it's healthy, and the pigs love it.

Balls, leashes, and harnesses are not safe.

Dichotomy83

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to add, if you DO take your gp outside in an enclosed pen-type area, be sure that most of the area is covered somehow, as direct sunlight is not recommended for piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.