Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How often floor time?

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
How often should floor time be given and for how long?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
It should be given everyday, but everyother day is also ok. It should be given for at least 30mins, but if you have the pen out, then you might as well give it for an hour or more

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Whatdo you use for floortime? I used a shower curtain but he started eating it so i put newspapers over it but i don't think he liked the sound it made when he ran so he mostly just slept. Any ideas?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I use a plastic sheet, sort of simlilar to a shower curtain. I dont like it though because the pee just stays on top and their bellies get wet. Maybe you can throw down some blankets/old sheets?

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I got some towels from the dollar store and i was thinking of putting those on top of the shower curtain but then i would be doing laundry every day. I could do it if it wasn't every day.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I know how you feel. I hate giving floor time because it so much work! Can't wait till the summer, so I can put them outside in my garden

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Any other way of haveing floor time and it not being so much trouble? Is it ok to give floor time every other day?

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I give my pigs floor time nearly everday. They get anywhere between 14hours a day to 24hours, this is so long because I just let them run loose around my bedroom all night and day. But with my boys they only have 7hours a day because they live in the shed.

Every other day is fine. It just means they will have to have a little longer out.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Is your room hardwood floors? My room is carpeted but i wish i had hardwoods so i could let him run around.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Actually my room is carpeted. I am most likey going to have it taken out and have hardwood though. I leave the guinea pig's cage door open and they tend to go back in there to go to the toliet. If they do pee on the carpet I just use some carpet cleaner.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Does the pee stain? My gp might just stay in his cage if i left it open for floor time. He doesn't really liike to leave his cage. He might just go to the bathroom in there, i don't know.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
It depends on the colour of your carpet. Mine is cream so it does leave a stain.. hense why I clean it off with carpet cleaner. My pigs LOVE running around my bedroom once they got used to it. You have just the one piggie? If so he maybe scared of such an open space on his own. In time I would reckon he would get used to it. And don't forget if you do let him loose around the room you will have to guinea pig proof everything. That means no chewable electric cords, nothing left on the floor that can be chewed or swallowed.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
O my carpet is green so it would probably stain. Maybe I will let him rum around in the bathroom instead. Would that stain the tiles? I only have one piggie becasue he is not good with other pigs. I would piggie proof my room befor letting him run around.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
No, it probably won't stain the tiles. Wooden floors arnt always good because guinea pigs cant walk on them properly. They keep on slipping

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I will probably try using the shower curtain and towels then when those get dirty i will use the bathroom until i can clean them again. I can only do the laundry for my gp once a week so it would be really hard for me to use towels all the time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.