Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Adding a level??

music91

Cavy Slave
Where can I find cage toppers? Are there any made for this cage? I want one with a large shelf so they can walk around on it and have more room to exercise and what not because the cage is only about 5 square feet and i have 2 pigs (i know its small:sorry:) Could I build one from colorplast?

(broken link removed)

Dimensions: 41"L x 18"W x 21"H - 7/8" wire spacing

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Nope.

Here's what you do - you get cubes and coroplast and build the proper sized cage (virtually guaranteed to cost less than what you paid for this) and use THIS as the loft if you want one. Many people do that and it works beautifully.

The upper levels don't count toward the space piggies need because they need room to run laps.

javim121

Cavy Slave
Your best bet is to just make a c&c cage wouldnt be so much cheaper than a store bought cage or accessory. Plus ya would be able to have a cage at least twice that size before adding a level.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
You should just build an entire c & c cage w/ coroplast, that store bought petstore cage is way to small for 2 pigs. Sorry, it seems you kinda already know that. But I dont think that can be "built upon" and be a sufficient cage or stable depending on how it's built? Not sure, I know that's not much help to you, sorry.

javim121

Cavy Slave
If the cage is in still good shape then return it to the pet store. Even without a receipt they will be able to give your credit. If they say they cannot, well they are lying and if ya speak to them calmly and respectfully they will give it to you. And if that doesnt work you can always try a sob story. HeeHee. I only know this since i have managed many retail places and know how they really work

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to add that it's even more critical that you get a bigger cage in a big hurry because I now see it's boars you have. I had to have my boars in a relatively large cage for a pet store cage temporarily while I built and tested my C&C - I have two or three 50 lb. dogs in my house at all times, all of whom are fascinated by the critters - and one boar ended up doing a fair bit of "barbering" the other before I got them moved in. And they were boys who were already bonded! I would be willing to bet your pigs will be a lot happier with each other the minute you get them into a space where they're not literally in each others' face.

Is it possible for you to get the grids and a tarp or shower curtain right away and set it up as just a big playpen for the time being? Or use something along the line of an inexpensive, deep-sided plastic kiddie pool? Those are very inexpensive and can be a good stopgap measure.

distancel

Cavy Slave
Ah dear, I have a cage like that. I use it as a transport cage when the girls go to the vet or to visit my family (my mum loves piggies). i would say yeah, just get a whole new cage. There's really no way to extend that or make it any better because they need the FLOOR space, adding another level won't help.

I don't even know of that kind of a cage would be big enough for a rat, my little brother wants to turn my one into a rat cage but I think the wire space is too large and the area is still too small. (He would be getting two rats of course). They really are silly cages and petstores sell them telling everyone that a guinea pig or two will be happy in them. It is sad.

But useful for a travel cage because just big enough for my girls to not get too freaked out. (They HATE going to the vet in anything smaller!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.