Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea My pig has diarrhea, what do I do?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
We recently switched pellets from a petstore kind to Oxbow Cavy Cuisine...we didn't slowly mix it in, because we thought the two brands were similar enough and that there was no need to slowly change it. As a result, Maggie has diarrhea. Our other guinea pig, Sophia, does not have diarrhea, so we're kind of stumped as to why Maggie has diarrhea and Sophia doesn't.
Does anybody have any guesses as to why this might have happened?
What should I do to get the diarrhea to clear up?
Thanks for your help in advance.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Get your pig to the vet.

It could be just the pellets, but you don't know for sure. The only way to know is to go to the vet. Your piggie might have picked up a bacterial infection somewhere, like our girl Freya did. She had severe diarrhea and we almost lost her. She was taken to the vet as soon as we were able to get her in and it turned out she had a bacterial infection. She was prescribed antibiotics.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It's most likely not the pellets.

I would with hold veggies and give a probiotic till you can get into the vet.

A probiotic can be a fresh poop from a healthy guinea pig or an acidophilus capsule.

Here's some information from guinealynx. https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

Dichotomy83

Cavy Slave
I'd take her to the vet, to see that its not an infection. Both my boys did okay with the switch to oxbow pellets, so Im not certain if its the pellets making the diarrhea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.