Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

6 week old male and female housed together

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
I am trying to adopt a pair of pigs advertised in my local classified.

The owner says they are are a six week old male and female that have been living together since she got them a few weeks ago.

When I suggested to her that the female could be pregnant, she said that couldn't be as the male is much smaller than the female.

I thought one of the reasons baby boars need to be removed at 21 days is because they can impregnate their mums. Is this true?

If anyone has a link I can sent the woman (to let her know that it is very possible her female is pregnant) that would be great!

Heady

Cavy Slave
You're in the right and it is true. If you decide to adopt them and want them to live together, I would suggest neutering the male as that is the lesser of two evils when it comes to sterilizing pigs.

Perhaps direct her here: https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

There are many, many threads on this forum that would be great educational tools for her.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I am trying to adopt a pair of pigs advertised in my local classified.

The owner says they are are a six week old male and female that have been living together since she got them a few weeks ago.
That sounds an awful like another thread I read on here this morning. A new member was trying to "sell" her pigs that are in the same situation as yours, and in the same country. Here is the link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...2-guinea-pigs-cage-eveything-sale-sydney.html Are these the pigs in question?

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
Oh goodness, yes, they are the same ones!

I offered her $50 for the cage and pigs, which she declined.

Basically, I think $150 is too much, given that I know the supplies for that cage probably cost $50 or less, the female is likely pregnant and my vet charges $100 to neuter a male. :sad:

Heady

Cavy Slave
Oh goodness, yes, they are the same ones!

I offered her $50 for the cage and pigs, which she declined.

Basically, I think $150 is too much, given that I know the supplies for that cage probably cost $50 or less, the female is likely pregnant and my vet charges $100 to neuter a male. :sad:

$150 is FAR too much, in my opinion, and it seems to me that she's not exactly trying to rehome as much as she's attempting to profit. Such an incredibly sad situation for the pigs! If she had a heart, she would take you up on your $50 offer even though it would be in the best interest of the pigs and not her pocket. So sad. :guilty:

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
Well, I just emailed her again to restate my case. Hopefully she will have a change of heart, and I will be driving to the city today to collect some pigs!

I really cannot offer any more money, especially given that my current rescue pig required so much vet care.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Well she has until midnight tonight to contact me or that listing is being removed from this site. We will not allow anyone to profit from the sales of animals on this site. We allow adoption ads only. Even if she wanted to adopt them out instead of selling them, $150 AUD is still far too much. It would be the equivalent of $138.32 USD.

That cage is incomplete and too small. It's a 2x2 with a 1x2 loft and is missing grids on the lower level and the upper level is unsafe. If one of those pigs decided to go over the coroplast on the loft, it could result in serious injury.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Thw owner is very wrong. It doesn't matter the size of the pigs. At 6 weeks they can breed regardless.

distancel

Cavy Slave
The sad thing is if you think about it it's unlikely she spent more than 100 dollars on the pigs and cage. And now expecting to make a profit for a cage that is too small, and a pregnant female? Some people are so strange. Wish I was in Sydney I would buy them just to get them away from her.

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
She is now saying I can have the pair for $25, which I am willing to pay. Waiting to hear back from her now.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
Good luck tree_hugger... I hope that if she is pregnant everything goes well.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
I sure hope you get those babies!!! Keep us posted.

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
Latest news is that she has someone coming to look at them today, and will let me know if that person doesn't take them.

So I may still get them, maybe not.

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
Oh, good luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
Okay, so she never emailed or called me back, but I have just looked at her classified again and she has changed the ad to say $150 for the pigs and the cage, and $25 for just the pigs.

I think its pretty obvious she still has them but doesn't want to sell them to me for whatever reason. I hope I didn't offend her in my email - this is what I sent:

Hi ,

I emailed you yesterday about your guinea pigs for sale. I see you have listed them on guinepigcages.com. I am also a member there.

I would like you to please reconsider my offer of $50 for the pigs and cage, for the following reasons:

* As I mentioned yesterday, I will have the male desexed ASAP, and my vet charges $100 for this operation.

* It will cost me approx $25 dollars in petrol to drive to and from Sydney to collect them.

* As the replies to your GPC thread stated, your female is very likely pregnant, so I would not be taking just two guinea pigs off your hands, but likely even five or six pigs!

* The female may need veterinary care in relation to her pregnancy, which will add to the vet costs.

Please let me know if you change your mind, I can collect them today if you wish. I am very knowledgeable about guinea pig care, and they will be going to a safe, loving home.

Kind regards,

Should I email her one more time or let it go? I am so upset about this, I've been thinking about it all day.

Heady

Cavy Slave
I see nothing offensive in your email! I think it was very well written and your kindness and concern was evident.

Since I'm one to email and email until I get an answer, I would suggest you email her again, expressing your interest and maybe note that you saw she changed her ad and push the issue about your concern for the pigs and what you're able to provide for them. Basically just say what you said in your email...just..again :)

I really hope that she responds and you're able to get them!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Her ad here was removed per her request.

The flipside to emailing her again would be that she may feel she is being hounded. I would give her a day or so to respond before emailing her again.

Heady

Cavy Slave
Ah, good point! I didn't think about the hounding part.

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your insight everyone. I think I am going to have to leave this one. She has my contact details if she changes her mind.

Hopefully the pigs will end up in a good home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.