Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any tips on how to litter train a 6 week old pig?

uthoria

Cavy Slave
…and do I actually have to place litter in the litter pan? Im asking because I read litter was bad for Guinea Pigs…but I think there is litter specifically made for small animals

BTW, this is my 1st pig...its a boy named Stanley

Thanx

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

uthoria

Cavy Slave
Right now i just have aspen....and the actual floor of the cage has aspen with carefresh on top.

Im just so confused about where everything should go...right now I have the hay rack, food bowl, and water bottle all in one corner...his hiding place in the other near corner…and the tray on the far side of the cage. Ive noticed that he likes to go in his food corner…should I just place the litter tray in the same place as his food?...so far I have place his droppings and some pee soaked carefresh in the tray...i then placed him in it and he went (but im not sure if he went because he was scared or because he now knows thats the place to go)....im hoping he will use it again as i really dont want to place it under his food rack as he spends most of his time there (ive only had im for a day so he is extremely terrified...i think he has picked the food corner as his safety place)

Poohbear
Poohbear

uthoria

Cavy Slave
Queen B said:
I would not because would you like to eat near the toilet?
thats what im thinking...but so far, that is what he is doing on his own

Poohbear

uthoria

Cavy Slave
hmm....i think he is kind of getting it. Whenever i place him in the potty pan...he makes right in the corner (a few pellets each time). But it might be because he is scared me or something. I guess ill just have to wait and see…if he keeps going where he eats ill just place the pan closer to his food corner like you suggested

Poohbear

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Throw some poos and wet bedding he has peed on in his litter pan. If there is one corner he seems to prefer and it's the food corner, move the food and put the litter pan there. Also when we say litter, we mean bedding in the litter pan and not litter like as in cat litter. Aspen, carefresh, crittercare, etc. are all fine to use.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.