PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Best Way To Pick Up Pig Poop

xBigPigx
10-21-09, 04:38 am
What is the best way to pick up pig poop on fleece bedding?

Seonta
10-21-09, 04:57 am
If you do a search you can find some posts with this information. Some use a small vacuum, some use a ladle to scoop it all up, and some use a dustpan small broom (hand broom) method. I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

princesspoppy
10-21-09, 05:45 am
I used the dust pan and brush but then found a cheap hand held vacuum.

twiztedlilfae
10-21-09, 07:15 am
I use a spatula and hand vac. Only because the hand vac gets hay clogged in it. I make sure to get the nasty hay and most of the poop out with the spatula and then pick up the rogue poop and dirt/hair/dust with the hand vac. It really helps.

Duffinvt
10-21-09, 07:19 am
I have a shiny spoon with long handle that works well. I also have used a Viactiv calcium box (similar to a baking cocoa box) with the plastic top to whisk the poops into the box. I compost the poop, left-over veggies and hay.

Heady
10-21-09, 07:26 am
You know, I was using my regular dustbuster and it's the same one I used for my chinchilla's poop when I had him and it worked really well. Since piggy poop is bigger, it kept getting clogged, so I got a different kind that has a flip-down nozzle on it so I can suck up individual poops. The other day when I had the pigs out for play time, I asked my husband to watch them because I wanted to try something. I went to their cage, took everything out that wasn't ziptied down and picked up the fleece and the fabric under the fleece, shook it out onto the bare bottom of the cage and then used a regular broom to sweep everything, hay and all, up into the dustpan and threw it away. Then all I had to do was lay the fabric and fleece back down and put everything back in the cage. For me, it was much easier than vacuuming individual poop. Plus, since I recently injured my back quite badly, it's better for now so I'm not standing there halfway between being fully upright and bent over!

Just a thought. Although if towels are used under the fleece, it would probably be more of a hassle to do it that way.

Peggysu
10-21-09, 07:37 am
I went to their cage, took everything out that wasn't ziptied down and picked up the fleece and the fabric under the fleece, shook it out onto the bare bottom of the cage and then used a regular broom to sweep everything, hay and all, up into the dustpan and threw it away. Then all I had to do was lay the fabric and fleece back down and put everything back in the cage. For me, it was much easier than vacuuming individual poop. Plus, since I recently injured my back quite badly, it's better for now so I'm not standing there halfway between being fully upright and bent over!

Using just a broom and dust pan on the fleece works just as well and you wouldn't have to pick everything up. It really helps to have a raised cage if you have back problems too. It takes me just under a minute to sweep up both my cages.

Heady
10-21-09, 07:51 am
Using just a broom and dust pan on the fleece works just as well and you wouldn't have to pick everything up. It really helps to have a raised cage if you have back problems too. It takes me just under a minute to sweep up both my cages.

I would think that using a broom directly on the fleece would be more of a problem because I figured that the broom's bristles would stick to the fleece and would pull the fleece around. It's getting time to do today's cleaning, so I'll will give it a go and see how it goes! Thanks :)

I actually do have the cage off the floor, but recently I had been thinking that maybe on the floor would be better. I have scoliosis and that limits what I can do, which is why I decided to raise the cage, but since I hurt my back, it seems that if it was on the floor, I could at least bend over completely, giving my back a rest...if that makes sense. But, since you said raised is better, I might as well leave it! I don't want to put it on the floor and then have to put it back up all over again!

Thanks for the help!! :)

Peggysu
10-21-09, 07:58 am
If it's only raised one grid and the cage isn't too deep maybe you could raise it two grids total. That might keep you straight. It sounds like it would be beneficial to either be up right or bent all the way down. Having it all the way on the ground might be nice so you can allow floor time from the cage, but I find it uncomfortable to clean out my cage on the floor. I have one cage on the ground and one cage raised one grid. Its definitely easier on me to sweep out the raised cage, but I don't have back problems.

Heady
10-21-09, 08:33 am
I had thought about using grids to raise the cage, but I use these shelves that I have and they work pretty well. It's probably the equivalent of using 1 1/2 grids. If I do too much higher I think it would be more difficult to get to the back of the cage...its a 3 grid by 4 grid cage. Even at the height it's at, a good amount of stretching goes into cleaning and rounding up the pigs. Then again, I do have boxes kind of blocking the front of the cage...those don't help much either! :)

I always do play time in a different room. There is SO much more space in there for them to run and so I can lay with them while they play. Plus, the door helps for when I don't want the cats to be involved in that play time.

I figured since I'm pretty tall, I could probably go higher and I might try it just to see. And also find a place for the boxes to make the back corner of the cage more accessible!

wigglesgiggles1
10-21-09, 09:08 am
I use a ladel. It works well for me. I spot clean before school, after school, whenever I go into my room, before dinner and before bed.

Heady
10-21-09, 09:53 am
I keep reading about the use of a ladle and at first I giggled because I thought it was funny...and then I realized people are serious! :o I suppose I found the humor in it because of my past experiences with ladles. One being that my grandmother is a hoarder (BAD bad hoarder) and she had surgery, so I went back home to stay with and take care of her and she only had a twin bed for both of us to sleep on. Our heads were on opposite ends and I woke up in the middle of the night because a ladle fell on my head. Seriously. It was still in its box, but still. How often can one say "I was woken by a ladle"?

So...ladle...we're talking the kind you use for soup, right? Or spaghetti sauce? I'm going to have to try it and see how well it works. I would have never thought to use something like that, but if it works, well then that's just awesome!

I love all of these ideas that everyone is giving me!! Thanks!! :D

juliaaa
10-21-09, 12:16 pm
I just use a mini dustpan and broom set that I got from the dollar store. However, if I'm about to wash the fleece, I will let the poos accumulate for like a day and then just gather up the fleece and pour them into the trashcan. That way it saves time.

xBigPigx
10-21-09, 05:42 pm
Mini vac/dust buster sounds good but it will scare my pigs. My pigs floor time is in the same room as their cage, and i feel that the dust buster would scare them. I'll have to invest in a ladle or a mini broom/brush.

lissie
10-21-09, 06:17 pm
I find using soup ladle works better than a wrist broom. Ladle has longer handles so it's easier to scoop out poos under the ramp too.
I zip tie an "s" hook to the side of my cage and hangs it there when not in use.

trump_cinnamon
10-21-09, 06:44 pm
Although if towels are used under the fleece, it would probably be more of a hassle to do it that way.

Do you have anything under the fleece?

Peggysu
10-21-09, 06:46 pm
After reading all this I think I'm going to pick up a soup ladel at the dollar store.

What works best, a metal ladel or a plastic one?

trump_cinnamon
10-21-09, 06:47 pm
I think a metal one works better, just because it doesn't get stuck to the fleece so much, but that's just my opinion.

lissie
10-21-09, 06:56 pm
After reading all this I think I'm going to pick up a soup ladel at the dollar store.

What works best, a metal ladel or a plastic one?

I use a plastic one. I've never tried a metal one.

Amazon.com: SoftWorks 5-piece Nylon Utensil Set: Home & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/SoftWorks-5-piece-Nylon-Utensil-Set/dp/B0006OA1UO/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1256172884&sr=8-13)

The one in the middle looks like the one I use, it's easy to reach in the corners.

I think the one with the round head that's on the right will not be able to go into the corners.

trump_cinnamon
10-21-09, 07:00 pm
I use a plastic one. I've never tried a metal one.

Amazon.com: SoftWorks 5-piece Nylon Utensil Set: Home & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/SoftWorks-5-piece-Nylon-Utensil-Set/dp/B0006OA1UO/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1256172884&sr=8-13)

The one in the middle looks like the one I use, it's easy to reach in the corners.

I think the one with the round head that's on the right will not be able to go into the corners.

Mine has the round head, and it's pretty good with the corners. I like the round head better, because it holds more, and the poos don't fall out while I'm picking up other ones.:)

lissie
10-21-09, 07:12 pm
Mine has the round head, and it's pretty good with the corners. I like the round head better, because it holds more, and the poos don't fall out while I'm picking up other ones.:)
Ah.. very interesting. I use mine to scoop a little at a time and put in a plastic bag.

Peggysu
10-21-09, 07:18 pm
Which ladel shape picks up piggie poop the best? What are these discussions coming to. I have to laugh because we are all genuinely serious about it.

I wouldn't have picked the middle one, I would have picked the round one. This is getting more detailed then I ever thought.

lissie
10-21-09, 07:22 pm
LOL.. that is funny :)

trump_cinnamon
10-21-09, 07:23 pm
Which ladel shape picks up piggie poop the best? What are these discussions coming to. I have to laugh because we are all genuinely serious about it.

I wouldn't have picked the middle one, I would have picked the round one. This is getting more detailed then I ever thought.

This made me laughlol. It's funny to think about what we are actually discussing...

Peggysu
10-21-09, 07:26 pm
The whole discussion about this ladel picks up more poop then that ladel and it gets into corners just fine.

We've all lost our minds into piggie poop. Maybe because we always clean it up.

rahunter
10-21-09, 07:56 pm
This thread is cracking me up. LOL

I have back issues as well and have my cage raised 1 grid high. I use a cheap canister vacuum to clean up the poop. I get down on my knees and use the long attachment to get to the back. There is also a bristle attachment that I use to brush the fleece which gets the hair off. Takes less than 2 minutes. The suction is not great but strong enough to suck everything up. When I do a full cleaning, the fleece is still "clean", nothing to shake off, so it goes straight to the washer.

I tried to use a small hand broom and dust pan tonight... it made a mess. The poop broke up and crumbled all over the fleece, so I grabbed the vac and sucked it all up.

Ladle??? I just can't imagine how this would be easy unless you tilt and shake the entire cage causing the poop to go into one corner. Then you could "ladle" it all up. But, hey, if it works go for it... I'll stick to my vacuum.

Peggysu
10-21-09, 07:59 pm
I think we mean ladle, one wrong spelling and we all ran with it.

rahunter
10-21-09, 08:06 pm
oops, my mispellings have been corrected! It too late for me, here on the East Coast, to be talking piggy poop!!

Cogni
10-21-09, 08:11 pm
I've been using a little plastic measuring spoon. Works for me.

distancel
10-21-09, 09:06 pm
Dustbuster! (Small vacuum, I don't know if they are called different things in other countries)
Or if my roommate's asleep (he does shift work and sleeps odd hours) I use a dustpan and brush so as not to make any noise.

distancel
10-21-09, 09:09 pm
I find using soup ladle works better than a wrist broom. Ladle has longer handles so it's easier to scoop out poos under the ramp too.
I zip tie an "s" hook to the side of my cage and hangs it there when not in use.

Oh wow that is a really good idea for storage I might do that to hang my dustpan and brush there.

lissie
10-21-09, 09:11 pm
Just curious, for those of you who use small vacuum, how do you clean the vacuum? I used it for a while and it was so hard to keep it clean. Had to pop open and soak it every time after I use it. For the ladle, I just use vinegar water spray and wipe off with paper towel.

Dichotomy83
10-21-09, 09:41 pm
Okay...now I feel kind of out of place. Am I the only one that just picks up the poops with my hand and then washes my hands with antibacterial soap.

There cant be anything wrong with that, right? :-\

piggiecrazy
10-22-09, 01:44 am
This is hysterical. If someone who didn't love guinea pigs ever read this thread they would think we were all insane. LOL. What we don't do for our piggies!!!!!!
I use a wisk broom and dustpan, but we also have the black and decker handheld vac that has more power than a regular vacuum. The only problem with it though is that you have to keep emptying it because the canister part is so small. Ugh.
Something to consider though is to make the front of your cage into a door. We all have bad backs here, herniated discs and severe arthritis.
We ziptied the grids in the front and have them open downward, we just did this recently and wow what a relief. Wish we would of thought of it sooner. Now cleaning is such a breeze, really easy to reach the back cornrers and your not leaning into the grids and gettting them all out of shape. Just an idea, hope it helps it did us.
I hope no one uses their ladle after for their own use?!?!?!?! LOL By the way using your hands is no big deal either, do it all the time. It really freaks my hubby out, but I tell him its just hay and veggies!!!

Peggysu
10-22-09, 04:23 am
Okay...now I feel kind of out of place. Am I the only one that just picks up the poops with my hand and then washes my hands with antibacterial soap.

No I use my hand to pick up poop too. I wash my hands after as well, but they're poop isn't all that bad because they aren't meat eaters.

Toadies
10-22-09, 05:42 am
I use what I have "handy" (yuk, yuk) and a lot of times it's my hands. It's certainly no worse than cleaning up the cats' hairballs. I like to "rake" the poops into a pile with the ladle, as it glides over the fleece quite smoothly, and the use a little dust pan and my hands to pick up the pile and dispose of it, usually into a plastic bag. I sometimes think that I wash my hands a hundred times a day, what with all my creatures.

Duffinvt
10-22-09, 08:37 am
I use my hands, too. I also have a cat and litter box, worm farm, etc. so I am washing my hands a lot, too. Even though the guinea pigs are herbivores, my vet said be sure to wash well after picking up poop and also after handling them. He had a little girl who'd rub the pig on her face to be loving and got ringworm on her chin.

ChristyG
10-22-09, 09:49 am
No I use my hand to pick up poop too. I wash my hands after as well, but they're poop isn't all that bad because they aren't meat eaters.
LOL, I use my hands too-espically when they are having floor time, and they do there lil' thing-otherwise I use a dustpan and lil broom. I am thinking about getting a hand vac though.

Are they hard to keep clean-does it get clogged up? Anyone know any good deals on one?

Peggysu
10-22-09, 12:03 pm
Even though the guinea pigs are herbivores, my vet said be sure to wash well after picking up poop and also after handling them. He had a little girl who'd rub the pig on her face to be loving and got ringworm on her chin.

As far as I know, you can't get ringworm from feeces.

princesspoppy
10-22-09, 01:39 pm
My yellow rubber gloves come to mind. I used to use that method before i used the dust pan and brush. I find the hand vacuum easier. I empty it after every use and clean the inside and rim with a baby wipe.

ChristyG
10-22-09, 01:47 pm
Does hay stop up the vacuum by any chance??? Cause no matter how much I shake off, scoop up, etc--there is still hay.

Duffinvt
10-22-09, 01:48 pm
As far as I know, you can't get ringworm from feeces.

Sorry, I was not clear. He meant wash up after handling the guinea pigs in general. The girl got ringworm from the pig's body, not the feces.

Peggysu
10-22-09, 02:09 pm
Sorry, I was not clear. He meant wash up after handling the guinea pigs in general. The girl got ringworm from the pig's body, not the feces.

Hand washing should happen after exposure to any animal not just guinea pigs. When I go into homes with pets I do not interact other then to get a dog out of the room. I don't want to take anything home to my pets.

princesspoppy
10-22-09, 02:10 pm
I use the dust pan and brush for the hay and any little pieces that are stuck to the fleece i use the vacuum.

ChristyG
10-22-09, 05:30 pm
I use the dust pan and brush for the hay and any little pieces that are stuck to the fleece i use the vacuum.

Does hay clog up your vacuum?

Porky's Mom
10-22-09, 06:57 pm
I have tried a dustbuster, a mini broom and dustpan, and not to be gross but just picking up poop and hay with my hands. The dustbuster gets clogged too fast and the broom and dustpan work okay but I typicaly just flip poop everyone. It takes me less than 2 minutes to pick up poop for 6 pigs once a day. Granted I have 2 big littler pans at the ends of my cage.

I too am intrigued by a soup ladle. I can see it being helpful for getting all the poos piled up but does it really work to pick them up without just scooting them everywhere? Interesting.

MissFormosa
10-22-09, 10:43 pm
This is a great thread because I am hating my broom and dust pan. I haven't gotten to building the loft kitchens yet, so the hay is still on the main level. What a mess by the end of the day. I sweep in the morning and it's not too bad and I kind of do just a quick job. At night, different story. I might be pretty picky, but I like to get everything off the fleece. My husband calls me a perfectionist. I take everything out, and sweep every poop and piece of hay off the fleece. It takes about 10 minutes each cage. Am I the only one that cleans this thoroughly on a daily basis?

My husband suggested a powerful little wet/dry vac. I know it will work, but I told him I thought it would suck the fleece all up in it and make it hard to move across the fleece. Anyone use a vacuum more powerful than a handheld?

I can see where the ladle would work. Maybe I can use it in the morning for my quick jobs.

Say, how sanitary is the broom and dust pan thing? I've been thinking about this too. My boars are always boar stinking, which gets wicked through the fleece, but I think it leaves a residue. So after sweeping I think I've just spread that all over the fleece. We are washing and changing the fleece twice a week now because it would get boar mucky. I had a friend over and later he told me not to be offended, but there was a bad smell coming from the bedroom. :sick:

Tessa Bea
10-22-09, 11:00 pm
To answer the various hand vac questions, here are my experiences. Those who are not interested in vacuums need not read through this lengthy post, save your eyes, haha. ;)lol

I have a Dirt Devil Kone. It has a rather small canister, so I often have to empty it two or three times during a thurough cage cleaning. It has replaceable filters, but I haven't replaced those yet. I found it at a Big Lots! for ten dollars.

I am able to pick up poop easily, hay is a little difficult because sometimes it's longer than the canister itself. If it gets stuck, I usually reach my fingers into the canister and remove it and place it back in the kitchen area. I also use this method to pick up hay without having to reach all the way to the floor of the cage.

The noise startles my pigs sometimes, but usually not any more than me putting my hands in the cage; or trying to pick them up. Sometimes, they're really stubborn. They run to one side while I vacuum, and then when I need to vacuum the other side, they won't move!

I also use the vac for clean up after floor time, or bedding/poop/hay that gets out of the cage while the pigs are running laps or popcorning.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me more questions.

jeananne
10-29-09, 02:20 pm
Keep it simple: use a napkin to pick it up and put it in another and toss.

Heady
10-29-09, 02:28 pm

Completely bypassing the posts that came after this one, I have to say that I do the same thing!!! I actually have a bottle of hand sanitizer right next to the cage on a shelf. I also have another bottle next to the cats' litter boxes. I got them at Wal Mart and they were a buck something a piece! :)

Since the cage is in the living room, I walk by it frequently and I noticed that if I walk by, pick up poops and stray pieces of hay, it seems to make the "big" cleaning much easier! I don't do this every day, but I usually do it (it really depends on how I'm feeling). Not to say they wade in their own poops, because they don't...but there are some days that I just can't do it every so often and instead opt to do it at the end of the day!

Oh how I love hand sanitizer!!

barbanderson
10-29-09, 05:15 pm
This IS one cool thread :D I have done the by hand/by paper towel/by mini dustpan-broom/hand vacs/big vac and can really say ALL the methods work fairly well but I use a combo of the three now (the big vac attachment sucks up the fleece really BAD) and I think the combo of the mini dustpan-broom and small hand vac works out best least for me. I actually have TWO hand vacs and with SO MANY models out there to choose FROM, that has kinda been a drawback too. My little cordless dustbuster (7.2V) is handiest but the charge doesn't last long enough to do my 3x6 cage so I use it in conjunction with the mini dustpan-broom for daytime cleanings and in the AM after the long night in the cage, I use the corded mini vac to do a better job. My cordless is a Black&Decker and the corded is a Shark model. The cord is luckily long enough to reach well and it has a hose connected to the vac permanently so you can use the cover on the main vac brushes so not to tear up the fleece. Then you can, after hosing all the poops up, bring up the cover and use the main vac for hair removal and it does a GREAT job. But of course the easiest of the methods is the cordless IF I could find one that has a big enough containment chamber AND a long enough CHARGE!!! :confused: Anyway, this thread has been most enlightening thank you LOL and unintentionally amusing as well :crazy:

ChristyG
10-29-09, 06:58 pm
To answer the various hand vac questions, here are my experiences. Those who are not interested in vacuums need not read through this lengthy post, save your eyes, haha. ;)lol

I have a Dirt Devil Kone. It has a rather small canister, so I often have to empty it two or three times during a thurough cage cleaning. It has replaceable filters, but I haven't replaced those yet. I found it at a Big Lots! for ten dollars.

I am able to pick up poop easily, hay is a little difficult because sometimes it's longer than the canister itself. If it gets stuck, I usually reach my fingers into the canister and remove it and place it back in the kitchen area. I also use this method to pick up hay without having to reach all the way to the floor of the cage.

The noise startles my pigs sometimes, but usually not any more than me putting my hands in the cage; or trying to pick them up. Sometimes, they're really stubborn. They run to one side while I vacuum, and then when I need to vacuum the other side, they won't move!

I also use the vac for clean up after floor time, or bedding/poop/hay that gets out of the cage while the pigs are running laps or popcorning.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me more questions.

Hmmmm, I just may have to go look for one of those. I want to buy a hand vac, but odnt want to spend tons of money on one, espically since it is for poop and hay. Thanks for the advice!

GuineaPigMum
11-01-09, 07:06 pm
I clean up my guinea pigs poop with plastic gloves and a bag. I keep my left over grocery bags to clean up my guinea pigs poop. I also buy cheap hand gloves.

I put one hand glove, Pick up the poop and then stick it in the bag. I keep repeating this untill all the poop is out of her cage. Then i put more bedding where I clean up her poop.

I have a funny story about my guinea pig. About 3 months ago she had a Pet store cage. It was a guinea pig starter cage which was very small. She only had enough room to sleep, eat and use the bathroom. She pooped in one corner which was very easy to clean up. Now I have a much larger cage. She uses it freely where ever she chooses to. Now I have to figure out where she poops at. :silly:

rahunter
11-04-09, 07:08 pm
ok so in an earlier post I said that use a vacuum and that I didn't get the plastic spoon/ ladel thing! So I had to clean out our cage tonight so I grabbed a big plastic spoon from the kitchen...... I'm sold!! It was soooo much easier that dragging out the vacuum. I just glided the spoon across the fleece dragging the poop to the corners and scooped up the 4 corners. I probably will still us the vacuum at least once a week since I can get up some of the shedding hair with the brush tool. Thanks ya'll!!

YayPiggies
11-04-09, 09:28 pm
I have a dustpan and brush but also rubber gloves to just pick the stray ones up one by one..

Cogni
11-04-09, 09:39 pm
After several cage cleaning cycles, I have moved on from the squeamishness factor. I have got to the point where I just scoop up the bedding with my hands, poop and moisture and all, and dump it. Then I wipe the bin down with white vinegar (then use plenty of antibacterial soap on my hands!). I can clean each side of the cage that way (right now the base is two long shallow bins) easier than picking up a whole bin and tipping it in the trash bag. Can't wait to get my coroplast base, which will happen when hubby gets back from China. It's going to get easier.
For some reason I don't even find the soiled bedding particularly smelly. Maybe I have very unsmelly piggies. They make messes, but not stink.

Sugar&Ellie
11-04-09, 09:56 pm
I use a dust pan and a small broom. Once i get everything all into a little pile I pick out things that wont be picked up by a vaccum (Large chunks of carefresh, hay) and then I vaccum it up with a small hand held dust buster. Then I spot clean with it, in corners and in small places that the piggies might want to put themselves away and poop in corners.