Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Going for a check up

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
Well the 2 of the boys go into the vets tomorrow morning for a check up. They have all already been once so this is just to make sure they are still healthy and everything. I am a little worried though because it is a drop off visit. The vet will work them in through the course of the day. I have used this vet before and he is amazing. I am just worried for the boys is all. I don't want them stressed out any more than needed.

They confirmed the appt this morning and said to bring them in something that they would be comfortable in so what I am thinking is to take them in a laundry baskets, a long deep one that has small slots in the sides for air to get through. I would put down fleece and puppy pads also hay and their hideys. I can fix a water bottle to the side so that is not an issue either. Also if I do not hear from the vet about picking them up before their normal lunch time I was going to go down there and feed them. Do you guys think I am being overly paranoid here?

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
I had to take my girls in last week for a day's observation and I took them in their travel cage with hay, water and pellets and their favourite towels. They seemed fine when I picked them up. Bit put out but not stressed.

Follow the vets instructions and the vet nurse should take care of their feeding etc for the day.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
Well the morning went very very well. The boys were only there for 2 hours then got to come home where they were snuggled and petted until I thought they were going to scream at me. Doc says they are perfectly healthy and that whatever I am doing to keep doing it! So I wanted to thank all of you that has helped with my questions and putting together of their menu. It showed today when they doc looked them over. Now to get through one more round of check ups with the other two then hopefully I won't see the vet again for another 6 months!

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
okay the final pair of boys are back from the vet and have a clean bill of health! Wooooot. I also got asked if I would help foster pigs and help write up how to's for new piggy owners. I gave them this website as a massive point of reference.

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
Update:

The vet called once I got home and gave me a little news. He told me to watch for cataracts and overgrown teeth on my Falcor. He is an albino so I know that they can have health issues but the question that I have is, how the heck can I increase his hay intake any more than I already give them without wasting it? They have two rather large places to eat hay from and it gets replaced 2 times a day. I was thinking trying a different kind of hay to see if it helps, like mixing a courser hay in with the timothy they are all 4 on now. Any suggestions on what?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
There are no albino guinea pigs, they are called pink eyed whites or PEW.

Is he a lethal?

angiekay

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the clean-bills of health there, nice job!

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
There are no albino guinea pigs, they are called pink eyed whites or PEW.

I didn't know what they were called so thank you on that!

Is he a lethal?

This is going to sound like a terrible thing to not know, but how would I be able to tell if he is lethal? I have seen it brought up before and was worried he might be.

Congrats on the clean-bills of health there, nice job!

Thank you muchly

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I didn't know what they were called so thank you on that!

This is going to sound like a terrible thing to not know, but how would I be able to tell if he is lethal? I have seen it brought up before and was worried he might be.

He's probably not a lethal if he hasn't had any problems. Maybe the vet just thinks that he'll be prone to cataracts and teeth problems. Really that can happen to all piggies. Thats why we weigh weekly.

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
He's probably not a lethal if he hasn't had any problems. Maybe the vet just thinks that he'll be prone to cataracts and teeth problems. Really that can happen to all piggies. Thats why we weigh weekly.

I haven't had issue one with him and he is a chubby little ball of fur. I weight all 4 every week and they are either holding steady or gaining so I am going to stay on what the vet called "Cruise control" on their diet and stuff. I am going to make sure he is still eating correctly and up the hay to maybe refilling 3 times a day in his little area to help with the teeth. I am also going to mix some botanical in with the timothy or something so maybe he will gnaw more and it will help. Thank you for helping me relax on the lethal issue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.