Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Ramps and everywhere

Annab7

Cavy Slave
Okay, I have a few questions that I'd like to ask in here. First one, do you think PVC pipe is a good ramp? Second, how do you cut a hole in the grids to allow for a type of PVC tunnel, and third, what do you think about a free-range type of living space. Clarifying the third question, my piggies have a 2x3 cage plus upper levels, but I would like to perhaps add a ramp that goes to the floor and allows them to enter and exit their cage at will (except at night and when we are not home). This would allow them to run around when they want, but also to get away from my toddler when she gets in the "ah piggies" mood, which, believe it or not, doesn't happen often (she loves them but more from a distance, lol). Just to point out because I know this would come up in discussion, the piggies would only be allowed in the living room and it would be cut off from other rooms during the hours they would be out and about, and also it is 100% piggie and baby proof (I did this a long time ago because I give them floor time in my whole living room). The whole free-range thing would be interesting because even during floor time I find like only one or two poops, so I wonder if they would go into their cages to potty. Anywho, any and all suggestions welcome.

lissie

Cavy Slave
1) PVC pipe is fine, as long as the diameter is bigger than 4", and you have a way to keep it clean.

2) To cut a whole, you'll need bolt cutter. You can buy one from hardware store.

3) I've always wanted to give my pigs 24/7 free range. But living with kids, it's impossible. If your toddler is eating something that is not good for pigs and spills them on the floor, your piggie could eat them.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
I have two pvc type tunnels/ramps, check them out in my gallery, I have remodeled several times, although keeping the tunnels because my pigs LOVE them! Hubby built my cage and used the pvc type that's used for french drain type thing for your house, it already has small holes cut throughout. As far as cutting the grids for the pvc, hubby just "snipped" the size needed (with wire cutters) and bend the cut prongs toward the interior of the cage, they will serve as sort of a "holder" and hold the pvc in place. The end pieces you will get to attach to the tube will have a lip at the end that will fit into the cage, the bent grid wires pressed up against this part. We also used zipties to give the tube more stability and it won't move at all.

And all pvc tubes are "slick" inside as they are outside, so for the inside of the tube we hotlglued a low grade 120 grit sandpaper for traction, it helps alot with their nails too. Some have asked if mine pee/poo inside the tunnels, and mine do not. However, if the tunnels are at an angle, as mine are, then poo just rolls out anyways.

Also, during "cleaning" time on my cage I just roll up a towel and stuff it into the end of the tube, blocking off my pigs to one level, top or bottom, so it blocks the exit or entrance, however you want to do. It's very easy cleaning as they aren't in your way, and no worries about them getting out of the cage.

If you have trouble understanding this, as it's hard to explain, take a look at my gallery and if you have any further questions, shoot me a PM, will be glad to help any way I can. Good luck!:)

Last edited:

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Great tips Angiekay. Sandpaper might be a good solution for my slightly slippy ramps too.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The easiest way to make a pvc pipe ramp is to get a nice length of 4-6" diameter pipe measuring 2 1/2 to 3 feet in length and take a saw and cut it in half lengthwise. Then drill two small holes in one end near the edges. Then take pipe cleaners and thread them through the two small holes and attach at the ends of the grids where you want the ramp to go. No need for cutting the grids at all. To give it traction, take a length of fleece and some binder clips and clip it to the pvc. They are very sturdy and have short curved sides making the pigs feel comfortable going up. They are my favorite type of ramp.

I'm including a couple of photos from my gallery on what I am referring to.
The pigs new digs! - Guinea Pig Cage Photos You can see the ramp in the center.

Center area of cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos The ramp is on the backside.

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Sandpaper is not a good material for ramps. It is too rough on their feet and it generates dust which isn't good for guinea pigs to breathe.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Point taken. "Fleece for traction"--that sounds like a perfect grabbing surface for little climbing feet.

Annab7

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice :). I'm looking into different things. I redid their cage (again) and made it all pretty. I'll be posting new pics of it soon. I understand not having them free-range all the time due to what my daughter may drop in the living room, but I think I might still construct a ramp of some kind for them to get out during free time, I'll just simply make sure it has a door of some kind near the entrance that I can keep closed during my daughters "awake" hours. I usually give them free-time after my daughter goes nap-nap and night-night anyway and the house has been vacuumed (which I do every night because of my little Hurricane Selah). Thanks again.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Cavy Spirit has a cage with a permanent ramp down to floor time.
Boys' cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

1cage31.jpg

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
The whole free-range thing would be interesting because even during floor time I find like only one or two poops, so I wonder if they would go into their cages to potty.

My Gizzy is on free range and has a swimming pool that houses 2 of her hideys and her kitchen/litterbox (I have made two of them but she ignored the one and prefers to do her litter job in the kitchen) she will always pee in the litterbox and do 99% of her poops in the swimming pool. I did not teach her this, I just noticed that she does it all by herself. So I have no advice on how to get them to do it.

Annab7

Cavy Slave
After looking at the cage and what I could do, I've decided to do a free-range thing, but enclose it a little so that it is an area my daughter can't get to to spill any food. She is actually remarkably good with the piggies and she's never around them without me. Then I can open up their area for run around living room time after her bedtime. This will give them more time in a bigger space. I hate keeping them confined in a cage. I'm going to go through my living room again and make sure all chords are high up and make sure all my cage grates are in place to keep them from getting in small areas. That makes it piggy, and baby safe. :)

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
I have a photo of what we did for the "more floortime" issue in our house. I made a ramp that goes down to a 5X4 grid floor area and they can come and go as they please. It works really well and the younger 2 actually love to run laps on the ramps. They basically have a 3 floor cage that well exceeds the specified space for 4! lol (p.s. Sorry about the mess I was about to sweep up and grabbed a picture quickly)

Annab7

Cavy Slave
Love it, good idea. I might do something like that, but it would have to be something I can put up at a moments notice too. We live in a small apartment and I'd need to be able to pick it up and "close the door" so to speak when we have guests or my sons friends come over to play (bunch of 4 year olds and piggies don't mix well, lol).

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I have a photo of what we did for the "more floortime" issue in our house. I made a ramp that goes down to a 5X4 grid floor area and they can come and go as they please. It works really well and the younger 2 actually love to run laps on the ramps. They basically have a 3 floor cage that well exceeds the specified space for 4! lol (p.s. Sorry about the mess I was about to sweep up and grabbed a picture quickly)

That's an amazing cage! Lucky piggies!

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the compliments...when we have guests over it looks more like this: (the grids fold and slide next to the cage and all the things get folded and tucked underneath.) I know what you mean when the kids come to play..I have an active 6 year old and a 13 year old.:rolleyes::crazy:

Annab7

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice. After working on it a bit and trying to figure out what I was doing, I finally came up with a working model. I'll put the before and after below. The first shows what my cage looks like without the extra floor space out and what it looks like after I put it away for when guests come over or my children have friends over who are playing all around the house.

The second shows what the free time/floor time setup looks like to where they can come and go as they please. I put pics in an album in my profile describing how to do it, but they're not in order and can't figure out how to put them in order, ;).

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
YAY! It looks good and I hope your piggies like it as much as my girls like thiers.:D

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Very, very nice!

angiekay

Cavy Slave
That is AWESOME, on both your cages that have the huge floor area, free-range time. I do something similar to that, but I don't leave it up all the time, I just do a couple hours a day, to allow Pepe to do his "laps" and then he's ready to settle down for the night. Love it, thanks for all the pics!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.