Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Is this a URI?

Rachelle15

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs has some of the symptoms of a URI. He is sneezing a few times a day and sometimes when he weeks it sounds strange. Also he naps for a few hours a day (since I got him) He is eating alot though and his eyes are not crusty. Is it a cold? and is it contagious to my other guinea pigs?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs has some of the symptoms of a URI. He is sneezing a few times a day and sometimes when he weeks it sounds strange. Also he naps for a few hours a day (since I got him) He is eating alot though and his eyes are not crusty. Is it a cold? and is it contagious to my other guinea pigs?

Guinea pigs don't get colds. Yes it's contagious to your other pigs. He needs to see a vet, if it's a URI he needs antibiotics to get rid of it. If he doesn't get rid of it it will eventually become fatal.

Remember guinea pigs can go down hill fast. If you nip it in the butt now it's much easier to treat.

Do you weigh your pigs weekly? If not I suggest you begin.

Rachelle15

Cavy Slave
Is it okay to have the guinea pigs in the same room (seperate cages)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If they're already in the same room, the other ones may have already been exposed. If not, leave them apart.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
This is why quarantine is very important when you bring new pigs home. You should always do a 3 week quarantine in a separate room in a separate cage. It's not just for the new pigs either but also for the pigs you already have.

You need to take your sick pig to a cavy savvy (exotics) vet, get him checked out and on safe antibiotics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.