Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Could she have gotten pregnant?

Rachelle15

Cavy Slave
Hello, this is going to seem really bad I know but its not entirely my fault. Okay so a few weeks ago I got a guinea pig and I named her "bella" I was told by the woman I got her from that she was a female. Today I went and got her a female friend (VERY TINY). I introduced them to eachother and then the older one mounted her and I thought that was normal dominance until it hit me that oh my gosh "bella" may in fact be a boy so I checked and yup HE is. Im really upset and I feel so guilty but is it possible that the baby got pregnant? If so is she going to die? I cant even go a minute without thinking about it. :( I feel so guilty! Someone please help me out here.

horsiecutie

Cavy Slave
You should have had the new baby in quarintine!! I am very sorry about what happned and your female could be pregnent:(

juliaaa

Cavy Slave
This is all too common with pet store pigs. It is entirely possible that she is pregnant. I am not an expert, so I don't really know how soon you could find out if she is, but I'm sure someone else with more knowledge on this could tell you. My advice is to get her to the vet to get her checked out.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Even if you took her to the vet, they aren't going to be able to tell you if she's pregnant or not because it would have just happened today. Basically for a few weeks, it's going to be a wait and see game.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
GPs can breed at 3 to 4 weeks. Have you separated them now?

You should always quarantine any new guinea pigs to prevent spread of illness and verify the gender yourself before taking anyone's word for it. Unless you got the guinea pigs from a reputable rescue.

Rachelle15

Cavy Slave
Is she going to die if she is pregnant? What can I do to help her?

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
Not much you can do now but wait like Ly said. Just make sure they are seperate and you are careing for them both, I asume you know all about how to feed them? Guinea pigs are pergnant for on adverage 70 and you wont start to notice things until she is about 40 days when babies start to move, if there is only one then you may not even feel it move. Fingers crossed she isnt and if she is well i sugest you have a good vet on stand by and look into everything you can do to help her if needed

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Is she going to die if she is pregnant? What can I do to help her?
All sows have about a 20% chance of death when pregnant or giving birth. The pups also may not have a chance of making it.

Guinea pigs are pergnant for on adverage 70
They can be pregnant anywhere from 59-73 days.

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
All sows have about a 20% chance of death when pregnant or giving birth. The pups also may not have a chance of making it.

They can be pregnant anywhere from 59-73 days.

Yep thats correct thats why I said on adverage. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.