Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Sniffing bottom

AndysShadow

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs, Andy is the father of the other and according to the rescue he would be about 20 months old. Shadow (his son) is around 7-8 months old.

They have both been to the vet, and the vet did mention how Shadow will be going through adolescence and how their behavior towards eachother may change. They have been getting along perfectly fine, the older one is obviously the dominant one, but lately I have noticed that Andy has been sniffing/licking (hard to tell exactly what he is doing) Shadow's bottom area lately.

We have checked down there on Shadow, and he looks perfectly fine, no impaction of any kind. Could it be that things down there are changing a bit or something that Andy keeps checking it out? Or do their smells change at all during adolescence? I know they like to take care of eachother so it just worries me that Andy is checking out something that's wrong that I can't see!

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.