Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pig singing like a bird

RebelPiggy

Cavy Slave
I was curious about something.My piggy Sassy (before she passed) had a unique talent. She would sing like a bird. The first time I heard her I actually thought a bird had got in the house.

I was wondering if anyone else had a piggy that sang like a bird?

vicky2

Cavy Slave

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Do you mean chirping?

Not many pigs chirp, but it isn't unheard of.

RebelPiggy

Cavy Slave
The last time she chirped was a few hours before Scooter her cage mate passed away. After that she never chirped again.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Lucky only chips when she see's Tina (cat) on the first day of her stay when we cat-sit.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
One of my boys chirps. It startled me the first time.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
My boys both chirp (one more then the other). The sound like birds in the morning while they're waiting for their food until they get into all out wheeking.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs has been caught doing this twice. We think it may have been Lucy. It's an odd and very cool sound, isn't it? :)

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I have one male pig that does this everyday at 10 am like clockwork. He climbs on top of his hidey house and chirps for about 10 min. It is really cute and it is like he is singing and the first time he did this I ran over to his cage and looked and everything seemed fine and in order.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Although I don't have piggies who chirp, I have piggies who sounds like a huge chourus of Piggies.

Around 10am, a little bit after I wake(About an hour, its usually earlier though when they start) I'll heard this loud, unusual wheeking. So I go into the room and they are nearly like standing side by side, wheeking as loud as they're lungs can wheek until they see the food in the bowl. THEN They stop wheeking. But when they wheek, it sounds like a chorus. Its loud, but its beautiful.

I think all piggies have a type of talent that some people have to discover, or help the piggie find. It took me 6 months to find Carly's voice. She wouldn't wheek when she was hungry or thirsty, she wouldn't walk around, staring at me. She'd just curl up and kind of stare at me for a second then look around my room. Then we moved Sandy(the loud one) into her cage and then she just began to discover her voice. Its like the people who gave her up(To Petco) just never listened to her or hated her voice so it made her scared that I did too. You never know your piggies talents unless you help them discover it or just wait and listen.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Both my girls are chirpers although they rarely do it. No one knows exactly as to why they do it. Out of all the pigs I've had, these two are the only ones to have ever been chirpers.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I've never heard a chirp. Only Wheeks. I want to hear a chirp from one of my piggies. You can never tell me that my piggies don't wheek like a chorus until you hear them! You can hear them all the way from the kitchen which is about 3-4 rooms ahead of my room so they are pretty loud. Plus, they will wheek over any noise. A vaccum or a banging against the wall. They will wheek over anything!

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Yup my girls chirp. When they hear me walking up the stairs they chirp till i get into the room. I guess it's A) Happy to see me or B) They want food. More likely B.

SpacePig

Cavy Slave
Ive got a chirper too, shes so loud we thought it was an alarm going off somewhere in the flat. She seems to do it in the early hours of the morning, she always seems ok though.

Allyson

Cavy Slave
Only one of my females chirps, and I've only heard her do it once. I had the ladies in the kitchen while I was cleaning out their cage, and heard one of them chirping. It ended up being Rowan, one of my texel sisters, and I have no idea why she was doing it... then again, we haven't figured out why they do it :) She was just laying there like she was ready for a nap.

RebelPiggy

Cavy Slave
I was hoping my Trixie would be a chirper. Of course theres still time. Sassy didn't chirp until she was almost a year old. My Trixie is only 6 months old. She runs around on the couch during lap time chutting like her dad did. She crawls up on my chest next to my chin and lays down just a talking away to me.:love:

She also loves givng me lots of kisses. Of course I have her spoiled. I told my bf when I decide to get another piggy I'm going to get one that needs rehoming from someone instead of a petstore.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
yup my girls chirp. at first I thought it was them have a disagreement but I guess it was chirping. It's so cute.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pigs who do a "true" chirping noise are in a trance like state when they chirp.

If your pigs sound like this when they do it, Chirping Pig, then you have a rare chirping pig. If the noise is different, it's something else and not chirping. I suggest everyone listen to this sound clip as many confuse the true chirping with other noises that sound something like chirping.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
Cloudy has chirped once in her life. It was 3 years ago when we first got Roxie. Quarantine was up, but we spent the day at a family reunion and were not up to doing the cage cleaning and introductions. Instead we put Roxie's cage next to Cloudy's so they could at least do some investigations of that other pig through the wire. We were watching Letterman or Leno or something when we heard it. When I went to investigate, I found that I had not shut the door on the quarrantine cage tightly enough and Roxie had gotten out. I have wondered if Cloudy thought Roxie was in danger or something and the chirp was a warning.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
I have listened to the clip and it sounds a lot like the chirping pig. I've actually listened to all the clips more than once and have been unable to pinpoint what they sound like exactly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.