Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Mixing hay?

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I am currently just using Oxbows Orchard Grass and the pigs love it, but I have heard of some people mixing different types of grass hay. Is this better or just a preferance?
Thanks.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
It really doesn't matter. As long as they get unlimited grass hay, you can mix it with other grass hay.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sometimes it does matter, to the pigs anyway. Some may like one type of hay more than another, especially if you have a pig who may not eat much hay. It could be that the pig doesn't like that particular type or brand. It always does good to experiment with different types of grass hays to see what your pigs like.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Yes, I have noticed that they prefer the orchard grass to timothy, but I will try adding something else in to make life interesting!

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
When I'm switching hay types, I mix the last bit of the old hay, and some of the new stuff together. I find that it helps them make that transition a little easier.

ChristyG

Cavy Slave
My girls xhange all the time. They love orchard grass for awhile, then they seem to get sick of that, then they just devour Timothy. So I usually stock up on orchard and Timothy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.