Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size How can I find a good cage?

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Well, I just got one male and I am really afraid to get another one. When I got my rabbit, the vet told me to get another one, because they are very sociable and so on. Turns out that I have been to so much stress because they fight so much! I am afraid someday they will literaly kill each other! It's been a year with this suffering already!
I don't want the same thing to happen to my Stephen (the guinea pig)
And I have a bigger problem: I live in Brazil, OK? I have no idea where I could find those grids you people use to make cages. I wanted them for my rabbits as well, but I ended up rebuilding an old wardrobe to be their cage, so they have lots of room and many floors.
The cage I currently have for Stephen is about 1,5 square meters. Is it enough for 2 of them, or will they fight as much as the rabbits because they need more room? Will Stephen die depressed if I don't get him a friend?
What do I do?

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you can't find materials to build C&C cage, it's ok. You can use other materials. Some people use wire closet shelves to make the side of the cage and vinyl or shower curtain to line the floor. For ideas, look in: Alternative Cages - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Same sex pairs of rabbits rarely get along when introduced especially if they are not neutered. It's best to neuter both and find them each a spayed girl bun.

With guinea pigs, it is different. Two males get along better if matched correctly. They do not need to be fixed.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Well, both of my rabbits are neutered, I don't know what the problem is... I think I'll think about it carefully... I am really traumatized, rs

horsiecutie

Cavy Slave
How old is your guinea? If he is over a year it is best to get a young male. My males have only been together for a week and are really close. Make sure you do reaserch on how to do the intro or just look here- if you do it correctly then you shouldn't have a problem.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
he is only a few weeks old ^^ I got him a couple of weeks ago... He´s just gotten used to staying on my lap, it's sooooooooooooooooooooo cute ^^!!! He even slept on my bad with me and my husband. Now the cats are a problem... he can't have any floor time because my cats chase him around!!! Could I keep him with the rabbits?
They have a really large cage (because when they decide to fight, they can be in separate floors)

distancel

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh, certainly do not put them in with the rabbits. I'm sure other people on the forum will be able to give you a lot of reasons why, because I'm not an expert but I know it's not a good idea.

And maybe you could shut the kitty outside while the guinea pig has floor time in a play pen? You don't want piggy getting stressed by a cat chasing him o_O

Hm I've often joked about my girls sleeping on my bed with me but it's not a good idea o_O he may get hungry or thirsty and how can he get to his food and water?? you also may roll on him and squash him?! And guinea pig wee in your bed among other things?

I am a little worried at your post in general.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
Rabbits can accidentally kill guinea pigs and they also have some illnesses that they may not show symptoms of that can get into a guinea pigs system and wreck havoc. That and the main floorspace for the guinea pig habitat needs to be at least 7 and a half square feet. And the space should be at least two feet wide really to allow them to easily turn around when running laps. You really should get him another guinea pig but make sure he's properly sexed first so you don't end up with a male and a female. They breed fast and young. If you have ebay or something look for a product that allows good air flow and is made out of pet safe materials to make the walls out of. The base of the cage will need to be water proof. Solid walls are not healthy as they block airflow. The grids that we use allow for airflow. Try also looking in the photo gallery at the "alternative cages" for ideas.
About rabbits and guinea pigs anti-cohabitation:
rabbits
Guineapigs getting sick from rabbits:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/44619-rabbits-guinea-pigs-no-no.html

one more edit:
a quote made in this thread: (broken link removed)

The pasteurella and bordetella that rabbits can carry really isn't an issue as long as the rabbit is kept clean and, litterbox/cage cleaned often and the animals are kept separate. They need not be in separate rooms but they should not be able to sniff at each other or interact.Keep bowls, toys and water bottles separate.

The diseases that they can pass to each other do not travel far through the air and need more of a direct contact. You should be able to safely own each animal and petsit without worry if you do these things.

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

1.5 square meters is a good size for two pigs as long as it is all on one main level. Guinea pigs can get used to a gradual ramp to go up to a second level, but they don't use vertical space like rats and other animals. It is important to have one large main level for them to run laps in.

Guinea pigs are social animals and do need to be kept with a friend. First, make sure that your pig is actually a male. Don't rely on what anyone else told you (except the vet). Sexing guide: https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Then find an older pig of the same sex. Do a full three week quarantine behind closed doors, and then do introductions as described here: Guinea Pigs Social Life

Guinea pigs absolutely cannot be kept with rabbits for the reasons mentioned above and more.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
OK, OK, I'll keep Stephen away from the rabbits ^^
Do you think when he grows up my cats will stop chasing him and staring at him outside the cage? I mean, I think they are obsessed because he is so small and it's a completely new thing for them. I don't know how big guinea pigs get, but do you think that when he grows up they will be friends? Because they are REALLY friends with the rabbits ^^
And another thing, can you tell me how to litter train guinea pigs?
My rabbits learned by themselves, so I have no idea how to teach them. Any hints? I swear I'll stop bothering you with my stupid questions, but I just have NO idea how to deal with guinea pigs, since it is not a very common pet around here... Vets, by the way, treat only cats and dogs. I had to force a vet to neuter my rabbits. They just don't know how to treat them. I asked them if the take any vaccines or something, but they don't know!!!
I wish we had better vets around here...

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
do you mean 1.5 square meters or 1.5 meters long and how Wide?

fieryone

Cavy Slave
And another thing, can you tell me how to litter train guinea pigs?

Guinea pigs really can't be truly litter trained. If you put a litter pan under their hay rack and/or in the corner you see him peeing in most often you can get him to pee some in the box, but he will still pee and poop wherever he pleases.

I have litter pans under the hay racks and it does help a bit. I get an extra couple of days in between whole cage cleanings by doing this.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would not ever expect the cats to be friends with the guinea pigs. Cats are predators and pigs are prey. A cat could seriously injure or kill a guinea pig, so do not allow them to be together. This will be very stressful for the pigs, and even under supervision, you might not be able to prevent an attack.

There is an entire section in this forum under the prefix litter training.

If you post your location, maybe someone in your area can refer you to a good vet. If you can't find one, be sure you are familiar with dangerous antibiotics and other general health info. Guinea Lynx has a lot of good information.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Well, the cage is 1.5 square meters, it's about 50 centimeters long...
Hum... I'll try to litter train him, let's see if he agrees

Catayn

Cavy Slave
You know what, I see these GORGEOUS cages you people make and I wonder they must be litter trained, otherwise, how can you guys keep it clean?
I believe it is possible to train them ( and I also hope so, rs) because I don't want him to keep pooping on my lap.
And by the way, I read that guinea pigs don't really bite, but he bites me all the time!!! If you look at my hands you'll thing I went into a cat fight so hurt and bruised they are. Is there something I can do about it?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Litter training: there's not a whole lot you can do. Pigs either train themselves or they don't. You can put the litter box near hay or in the area they use most often, but that's about it. You do not need to have a litter trained pig to use fleece as long as it is prepared and used properly. You can't just put the fleece in the cage. Read the Fleece Project sticky for details.

Biting: There is a good chance your pig has mites and is in pain. Read this: Biting Guinea Pigs: What to Do

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I believe it is possible to train them ( and I also hope so, rs) because I don't want him to keep pooping on my lap.

Your pig will probably eventually stop pooping in your lap. Mine never poop in my lap anymore and they are not litter trained. When they were new to me they would poop out of stress, or so it seemed, and because I didn't yet know their potty cues. Mine also rarely pee on me anymore. I have one that's harder to read than the others so I don't hold her for very long, but she's the one that will get me once in a while

The clean cages you speak of are probably fleece which is a wonderful and cost effective bedding alternative. If you sweep the poos daily then your cage will be clean like the ones in the gallery :)

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
In addition to what akstrohm and fieryone say (which I agree with) it may be that he's biting you because he's trying to tell you he needs to poop and you're not getting the message and getting him off your lap! My boys try very hard not to go on us, and getting very wiggly and nibbling on our hands are one of their indications that they really need to go.

My particular boars are not potty trained at all, but it's easy to clean up the fleece - read the fleece threads and you'll see what we mean. In playtime I put a box of hay on the ground and they do about 80% of their peeing and some of their pooping in that - but I have a tarp to catch any mistakes.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Her... sorry Brazilian here ^^ What is fleece? Is it ike wool? Won't he chew it?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh, certainly do not put them in with the rabbits. I'm sure other people on the forum will be able to give you a lot of reasons why, because I'm not an expert but I know it's not a good idea.

And maybe you could shut the kitty outside while the guinea pig has floor time in a play pen? You don't want piggy getting stressed by a cat chasing him o_O

Hm I've often joked about my girls sleeping on my bed with me but it's not a good idea o_O he may get hungry or thirsty and how can he get to his food and water?? you also may roll on him and squash him?! And guinea pig wee in your bed among other things?

I am a little worried at your post in general.

What is the piggy runs off the bed?

Your looking for 100 percent polyester fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.