Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm allergic to the boys

P

peachygrl

I'm allergic to the boys

Last time my eye itched and swelled up like this I pinned it on seasonal allergies, but now I know it is the piggies. :mad: It makes me sad because I want to give them a good home, but since December whenever I pick one up and let them cuddle against my neck I get welts on my neck looking like an angry pack of hornets attacked me. ACK!

I've listed them on petfinder and GPAN, but if you guys know anyone in Southeastern Idaho/Northern Utah/Western Wyoming who would like to take in my two boys and give them a great home, please let me know. Thanks.

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: I'm allergic to the boys

I'm sorry Peachygrl you have to get rid of your piggies due to allergies. How awful. But I wish you luck in finding a perfect and suitable home for them. :)

Attachments

GEDC0081.jpg GEDC0100.jpg GEDC0103.jpg IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0026.jpg
B

Briana D

I too am allergic to my guinea pigs but I didn't see it as reason enough to get rid of them. There are many medicines that can help you cope with animal allergies.

You really should look into the medicine instead of giving your pigs away.

Please follow the link below for other options then adding to the population of unwanted guinea pigs - cavyspirit.com/allergies.htm

Good luck. I hope your pigs live out their lives happily.

P

peachygrl

I do take medication, flonase for my nasal allergies, a separate medicine for congestion and eye drops ($80 for a tiny little bottle!) for my eyes. I have yet to find anything that works for the hives without completely knocking me out, so I just try to wash my hands/neck/face/etc. immediately after playing with the piggies. Sometimes it helps, but usually it takes 5-6hours for the hives to fade away on their own. Today, even after using my eye drops as prescribed my left eye is still very bloodshot and a little itchy.

*shrug* I do try.

A

AngelicumCavy

Satins?

One of the things is that when breeding it is a form of developing the Cavy or any other animals to dev. Health and movement etc. SATINS a variety of cavy breeds that dont have a thick hair shaft, it is said to be non-allergic for minor cases. The Satin Variety has a type of an almost human hair, meaning its not an all-fur coat.
Now the significance of responsible breeding comes in, although this forum holds nothing about breeding I have read that a REAL responsible breeding can be tackled with. Theres a page on the Cavy Spirit Website wherein a girl more named Cupido wrote an article on how one can be a responsible breeder.
But in such cases, a major allergy problem is not advisable to own fured animals except for Miniature Schnauzers a breed of dog, they're allergy-free!
Peachy you allergy involves your eye, its really lonesome that you must get rid of cavies :(
Guinea lynx site will be very helpful

<a href="https://www.theministryofmagic.org.uk" target="_new">[/b]The Ministry Of Magic</a>

K

KarlyAndChad

Don't get rid of them!

Hi Peachy!

I'm allergic to all my piggies too. I posted not long ago asking if anyone could suggest a good medicine for me, because I couldn't see getting rid of my babies. I'm on Zyrtec now, and it's working great! I got hives all over my face and neck, and would itch like crazy, and it's not happening anymore. If it's really your allergies that are making you think about getting rid of them, and not some other underlying reason, there are better ways to manage them I promise. Give Zyrtec a try, it's made a world of difference for me.

Karly

Attachments

IMAG0993.jpg
P

peachygrl

Re: Don't get rid of them!

I'm going to try a change in bedding and see if Claritin will help since it's OTC. A friend suggested Aspen bedding because it doesn't have any aromatic oils and since I wheeze and cough when I change bedding (even with my mask on) she suspects it's the bedding that is the problem. I hope so! I'll keep you guys updated :)

Attachments

IMG_0285.jpg
F

Falcon The Lancer

Re: Don't get rid of them!

did you try the newspaper bedding stuff

J

janiexo

their right

It could be the bedding or hay. I use aspen bedding and it works fine for me but i notice if i get to close and breath it in it causes me to sneeze a lot and the same for the hay.

Attachments

SDC11044.jpg
P

pregasaurus

I too am allergic to my babies

I have 2 theories.......

Theory 1
The hives only started when the weather started to get cold. So maybe it is a) their hair is thicker to keep them warm b) they don't play outside, and so all their shedded hairs are in the house
Theory 2
I found out that I am pregnant in October so maybe I am just more sensitive to it than I was before.

Either way, I love them so much and it saddens me that I can no longer play and cuddle with them like I used to. I feel like a bad piggie-mommy :( I still talk to them all the time and cuddle with them whenever I can. (I use a towel to seperate their hair from my neck) But I still kiss them and get itchy face. I will not give that up.

Good luck to you in finding them a home. I know it is a hard decision to make. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.