Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Discharge - picture included

Aquena

Cavy Slave
2 days ago I noticed Bella had some drainage on her Right eye, I gently wiped it with a wet cotton ball and dried it, yesterday It looked better than the day before (little drainage if any) Today I just took a picture, it is a grey white gel goop. I did look at Guinea Lynx, not much help there. Please take a look at the picture and I would appreciate advice.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
To me, it looks like the "cleaning" solution that they secrete from their eyes.
However, I cannot entirely tell from that photo.

Here is the page on guinea lynx about discharge, I hope it helps:
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#discharge

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I agree. To me, it just looks like the whitish discharge they get when they groom themselves. If there isn't a discharge elsewhere (like from the nose), I'm thinking it's probably not anything medical but just to be on the safe side, I would keep an eye out for sneezing, wheezing or anything else that might be associated with a respiratory type infection.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
To me, it looks like the "cleaning" solution that they secrete from their eyes.
However, I cannot entirely tell from that photo.

Here is the page on guinea lynx about discharge, I hope it helps:
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#discharge

Thank you for your input, however, I did read that same page on Guinea Lynx, and I am not convinced it is the milky cleaning discharge, since this discharge is gel like and grey in color.

Since Bella is sort of squinting her eye, and her eye is pinkish-red around the edges, I think something is actually irritating it.

Maybe I could try and irrigate it by rinsing it with an eye wash...(would a human eye-wash be the right Ph?) Maybe she has something in it...I suppose I will let common sense rule - I will try and wash her eye with an eye wash, and watch it again, if the discharge does not go away, or worsens a trip to the vet may be in order.

Bella is not sneezing, and does not have discharge in the other eye.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I honestly don't think it's the milky substance they use for cleaning.

It may be an early onset of a URI.....I just went through this with my boy Pigster.
First it start with one eye of clear discharge like in your picture, in a couple days it progressed to the other eye. Shortley after he developed wheezing and rhythmic breathing and turned into a full blown URI. I wouldn't delay in getting her a vet visit. Coinciding with this was the fact that he had a large abscess in front of his front molars.

He went from 2.5lbs down to 1.9. He stopped pooping for 48hrs because of the antibiotics....at one point I really thought he wasn't going to get through it. He then had an urgent care visit because he wasn't moving, was feverish and his abscess grew huge in a days time...the vet lanced it, drained it.

The next morning (last friday), he developed an ulcerated eye...so another urgent care visit. Now he's on eye antibiotic ointment.

Today, Pigster is nearly 99 % better, the vet feels I can stop flushing the abscess...his eye is almost normal, the eye discharge has subsided, he's no longer wheezing or having labored breathing and he's finally picking up weight and eating all the time. He went from being on smz, to baytril back to smz which he is on now....his follow up is this friday. I recognize the discharge....as I said earlier, I wouldn't delay a vet appointment as it progresses fast.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I agree with pigsmakemesmile. The cleaning substance they excrete is usually whiter.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
I honestly don't think it's the milky substance they use for cleaning.

It may be an early onset of a URI........I recognize the discharge....as I said earlier, I wouldn't delay a vet appointment as it progresses fast.

I am taking your advice because it is better to be pro-active, but I have one other question. This morning her eye does not have the discharge, but there are little small pieces of dried discharge on her fur where she must have rubbed it onto, not around the eye, but about 1/4" away from her eye on the fur...so is this crusty eyes? When people talk about crusty eyes, do they mean the eye itself gets crusty, or any dried matter anywhere...as I type this it is apparent that if I have so many questions, a trip to the vet would be the right thing to do.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
The crustyness is from the discharge as it streams it's way down. Pigster's eyes had clear discharge intermittently throughout the day for a couple of weeks. He also experienced fur-loss below the eyes as a result of the discharge. What I did was take a clean cloth and blot the discharge up then I'd take a warm moist clean cloth and clean the crustyness away. I wanted to keep a clear path for the discharge to drain. Rather fight it, I had to learn just to cope with it until the infection cleared. He is soooo much better now. The discharge has resolved and I see new hair growths under his his forming.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
I am glad Pigster is doing well. Bella seems to be fine now, no more discharge.

Grandmar Cavy

Cavy Slave
I agree with pigsmakemesmile as I went thought something like this with sweetie, she had the discharge from both eyes took her straight to the vets, was put on Baytril however she still ended up with Pneumonia. She's doing fine at the moment however still fighting with the Pneumonia my vet is now looking at additional treatments to help her over it.

So don't delay take your little one to the vets ASAP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.