Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

worried with questions

chewy

Cavy Slave
We rescued two male piggies from Best Friends here in Utah in April. Last month I posted some quesitons on if and when to get a new piggie as Chewy died. I took advice and decided to go with a female being the boys had been fixed. I bought Harley from a lady that had her in a 14"X22" cage. I could go on and on about her but we all know too many people that get a pet for their child and leave it unhappy and uncared for.
I took Harley to the vet 5 days ago because she was making funny noises and seemed bloated. Our vet is very cavy savy and is even on your site. He thought she was a bit gassy and gave her two meds and off we went. This morning I picked her up and noticed, as I have all weekend, that she is even bigger yet continues to eat. I think that bleeping lady got rid of her becuase she knew she was pregnant. Harley now seems to have larger bumps on either side of her and has gained 35g in 10 days.
Harley is around three..looks like she may have had a litter before as her nipples are large and more floppy than my boys are.
She is housed with Scabbers..if I change her pellets to an alfalfa is it going to be bad for my big chubby boy?
Do I need to feed her more veggies? I try to give them both about 1/2 c tiwce a day plus some greens.
If she gives birth when I'm not home do I need to worry about Scabbers harming the babies?
We have had her about 5-6 weeks...so I guess she could be anywhere from 2-4 weeks from giving birth?
And finally..will I know if there are problems or complications? My vet only works 3-4 days a week and I'm worried what I will do if it is his off day.
Sorry..long I know but I want you to know that I thought I did everything in my power to not go through this and I feel betrayed and angry plus worried for little Hardy Har Har.
Thanks everyone...this site is the best!!!!!!!!

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I know my vet makes provisions for when he's not available as he's one of the few exotic vets in this part of the city, his number redirects to an emergancy exotic vet when he's not available. Perhaps you could talk to yours and find out what his afterhours set up is.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You may want to contact the vet with your concerns. It's possible she could have ovarian cysts instead of being pregnant--the vet may want to do an ultrasound.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If she is pregnant (and I'm not sure she is), give her veggies with extra calcium during lap time (i.e. parsley) instead of the alfalfa pellets. Weigh her often, and ask the vet what he recommends for after hours.

I hope she's not pregnant. Do you know if she was housed with males before you got her? Good luck!

chewy

Cavy Slave
I know the family I bought her from had other pigs only because she said she had gotten rid of everyone but Harley and I am kicking myself for not thinking to ask whom she was housed with...I am one of those silly gals that trusts people will give all info needed and not do what is best for them. I will watch her carefully though with her starting to sleep much more and the water has been replaced more often lately, I am leaning towards her being pregnant.
Thanks for the advice on talking with the vet for after hour care..I will definately do that.
Is it important to remove Scabbers from the cage and if so when?
I have heard of pigs and rabbits eating young...I would just die!!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You can leave Scabbers with her.

Live pups are not eaten by guinea pigs.

chewy

Cavy Slave
You can leave Scabbers with her.

Live pups are not eaten by guinea pigs.
Thanks so much Akstrohm, I feel I can worry a little bit less. He seems to be pretty interested in her..shoving in her pigloo and wanting to rest by her. Is it possible that he knows?

Last edited by a moderator:

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Most male animals can smell pregnancy on a female long before it's visibly obvious. It's usually a 'turn on' for them to know a female is fertile and there for a viable mate. Poor Scabbers probably doesn't realize that he's the one who's not viable.

chewy

Cavy Slave
Just one more question for now...since I have read up on all of this I know pregnancy is better when they are younger, since Harley is three should I be even more concerned? I can't find the number for the gal I bought her from so I can't call to confirm whether she has had pups before. If her nipples are stretched out do you think that would be a sign that she has indeed given birth before?
She is gaining weight everyday so I am convinced that we are going to have babies here in the next 2 weeks or so.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Have you had her in for a check up?
I imagine the vet would be able to tell (likely by her pubic bone's spacing) and would be able to discuss with you potential complications.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Yes, talk to the vet. A C-section is an option too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.