Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Moo Is Pregant. I Think?

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
I got my sow Moo a couple weeks ago she was privately owned but homed with her father and brother:eek:. When the lady I got her from dropped her off she told me this, and that she thought Moo was pregnant. She is 4 months old and definitly seems to look more and more pregnant all the time. her belly bulge just keeps growing even though she dosnt seem to be an overeater. However, her belly is squishy. it dosnt feel like there is anything in there? Now if she is pregnant I don't know how far along she is. She dosn't seem to be drinking excesivly but poops ALOT.
Could anyone describe the physical stages of pregnacy to me and what they might feel like ( what would I feel at what point of pregnancy, when touching her belly )
Thank you.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would assume she is pregnant. You should be feeding extra calcium already since she is only 4 months. When pigs are farther along you can feel the pups moving... it sounds like she's not there yet. Do you have a competent vet lined up? Pregnancy complications including death are very common. Also be sure to weigh her weekly.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
If she was housed with males she's pregnant. I'm suprised she hasn't had a litter already in her three fertile months prior to coming to you.

A lot of poop is definitely normal pregnant or not.

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
I do have a vet lined up...thankfully they are just around the corner so if nessesary I can scoop Moo onto my lap and wheel it down there as fast as I can.
I will be swiching her hay to alfalfa as I am now certain she is pregnant.Over the weekend she has started drinking non stop and I can now feel the babies:heart:
God willing all will go well.
There is one problem : Moo has been introduced to, and is now liveing with Lucy, but they seem to have a very tensse retationship, they are always trying to dominate eachother, though there have not been any full blown fights, they bluff often. However niether piggy likes to be alone.Should I separate them or keep them together? Should this "passive agressiveness" supside or increase when pupps are born?

Thank you.
PS.
I have no idea weather she has had previous litters or not. The lady I adopted Moo from recived them from a friend that had 2.5 generations housed together: Moo's Parents, Moo and her Twin brother, and a new litter of Moo's baby brothers and sisters.

Moo was likely inpregnated by her twin brother or her father:( Dose this seriously increase the chances of either Moo or her Babies not surviveing?

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would leave them together unless the fighting gets really bad. Make sure you have a big enough cage, multiples of everything, and hideys with multiple entrances/exits to keep the fights to a minimum.

Who the father is has no impact on Moo's survival. Inbreeding does increase the likelihood of birth defects, but there is a very good chance the babies will be just fine. There's nothing you can do about that at this point anyway, so try not to worry too much.

And don't forget to babyproof the cage. Good luck! I hope it goes smoothly!

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
Thankyou, I'll try not to stress, ever since I got my first piggy all I have been reading is how dangeruose haveing pupps can be and I love my girls so I'm a little freaked out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.