PDA

View Full Version : Is yesterday's news okay?

Allyh
02-21-05, 09:42 am
Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried yesterday's news as bedding? Currently using carefresh but it is $$$. I was wondering because of the pellet form of YN if it is too hard on their little feet? There's a "softer" blend of YN out there too. I prefer not to use any sort of wood shavings, any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!

ParanoidEv
02-21-05, 10:37 am
I searched for info on this bedding too (on this forum) and it seems to be just fine.

Allyh
02-21-05, 11:41 am
Thanks for the reply. Have you ever used it?

ParanoidEv
02-21-05, 12:44 pm
Thanks for the reply. Have you ever used it?No, I was planning to buy a bag (that is why I looked up here if it was ok) but I changed to fleece before I bought it!

mncavylover
02-21-05, 05:50 pm
Yep, but the cons are it tends to be heavy, a bit expensive, and the pellets may be a bit rougher on cavies' feet than other beddings.

fayers_79
02-23-05, 11:09 am
We use Cell-Sorb, which is kind of like yesterday's news. Yes, it can be expensive. Since we've switched to fleece, we only use it in their litter boxes and it seems to be working great. In fact, sometimes they like to lie more in their litter boxes than on the fleece :)

Susan9608
02-23-05, 12:28 pm
Yesterday's News gets very, very heavy when it's wet .... and the little pellets disintegrate when wet as well. I found that I had to do a lot more cage cleaning when I used Yesterday's News than with any other kind of bedding. I've found CareFresh to be the best product, but unfortunately, it's quite costly (especially when you use 6-7 bags a week!) so we use Aspen shavings now.

I tried fleece ... that last all of 12 hours before it was all wet, stained, and covered with piggy poopie. I don't know what it is that I did wrong with the fleece - I put newspaper under it. For those of you who use fleece, how do you make it work and keep it from getting so nasty so quickly?

o0Ms Jenny0o
02-23-05, 06:41 pm
Once I got yesterday's News just for their litterbox, (didn't notice it was "fresh scented") and within hours one of my girls potty was red. I took it out immediately after noticing and she was okay. So just make sure it's totally unscented.

guineagurl
02-23-05, 08:11 pm
Apologies in advance but I'm in a stupid mood..

If you use yesturdays news they will not be up to date with whats happening in the world.......*chuckles*