Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just wanted some imput...

TheAlmightyMiko

Cavy Slave
Hello all...

Well, it's official, In exactly one year and one month I will be graduating from university, and all of a sudden I became scared that "hey, I don't really know what I want to do with my life!" (like anyone does..haha). At any rate, after a lot of thinking, and realizing that a B.A. in english Literature will only really get me a career in teaching or as a starving writer (neither ideal for me right now), I realized that the one true passion and joy in my life is working with animals! Now, since I havn't been activly involved volunteering at shelters since my nearest humane society is about 1 hour and 1/2 bus ride from where I live, and so my school and work schedules never really permitted it, I don't really know:
a) what job opportunities are actually out there for working with animals, besides being a Vet?
and b) how I would go about getting into a job working at a shelter since I don't really have anything but amateur experience.

Any insight from you guys would really help, since I know how many of you are so active and passionite about helping the less fortunate animals of our world. Thanks so much...I just feel so lost right now T_T

dansamy

Cavy Slave
Oh dear! That degree will certainly leave you very well-qualified for .........??????????? I'm not sure what an English Literature degree is good for exactly. ;) (Just teasing ya!) Start by writing a nice resume. Then anything affiliated with animals....send them your resume with a nice glowing cover letter. Start with any SPCAs in your area. They actually have a payroll. Most rescues don't have any budget for staff. They are volunteer only. you might also look into local veterinarian's offices. These would likely be lower paid posiotions though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.