Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bricks in cage corners ??

mylilchichi

Cavy Slave
I have read that some of ya'll put bricks in the cage corners to keep them from pulling up fleece,my question is what kind of brick,like the red bricks? If so how do I go about cleaning them before putting into cage and by putting these bricks in will it keep them from peeing in those corners as I do have a litter pan with the hay rack,water bottle and food over it but they still will pee in the other corners and then lay in the same spot:yuck:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The red bricks are fine, or really any "pavers" at a hardware store.

I take mine out and hose them down when they get dirty. Bricks will keep them from peeing in the corner where the bricks are, but they may still make a mess elsewhere.

Some folks also use ceramic tile instead of or in addition to bricks.

anniewntsaG-PIG

Cavy Slave
I do the same as Paula. My girls always pee in the corner so that why I put them in the corners. :)
And yeah, I got my bricks from my neighbor who was ripping up his pavers from his driveway. So If you don't have any laying around in your garage, Home Depot sells them there for cheap.

mylilchichi

Cavy Slave
thanks ya'll if it stops raining around here I will go outside and get a couple bricks we have cleam them and put them in.

rahunter

Cavy Slave
I have toyed w/ the idea of putting bricks in the corners. I have a raised cage, would this be too much weight? I have supports underneath the cage, so maybe 1/2 a brick in each corner? We have some broken bricks in our back yard, not sure where they came from, lol.

Wodentoad

Cavy Slave
Remember that bricks are porous and they tend to soak up water, so unless you know what they've been exposed to, I'd be reluctant to use them.

I fitted my fleece to my coroplast so that it drapes over the sides (like the professional piggy bedspreads) so they can't pull the fleece or towels up at all. It's easy to do and takes 5mins with a ruler and a sewing machine, and it keeps all the poopies in while directing the pee towards the towels a little away from the corner.

BennyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
I have a brick on each side of the divider in the cage and they love to walk over them. Also keeps the nails from getting really sharp :p They don'y potty on them at all! :cheerful:

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I put bricks in my corners, but actually about 5 inches from them. The pigs seem to like to do their business behind the brick in the corner, so it gives me an easier time cleaning because instead of being all over the place, the poos are mostly there. Plus I put extra washcloths under that area for more absorbency. Eventually, I am going to work up to putting a litter box there, once I am sure that is where they are going to do their business.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
I was wiping them down with the 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water I use to clean the cage but that was taking forever.

Now I'm trying to let them soak in a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water overnight, and I'll let you know how that goes. (I've got enough for 2 sets.) They're ordinary red bricks, bought at Home Depot in the garden section.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
How much do bricks cost?

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
About 15 or 30 cents a piece and Home Depot in the garden section.

mylilchichi

Cavy Slave
Yeh I put two bricks in each corner and now my girls want to lay on them so I wrapped some scrap fleece over them because the bricks were somewhat rough and I didnt want them getting scratched.

Dichotomy83

Cavy Slave
Yeh I put two bricks in each corner and now my girls want to lay on them so I wrapped some scrap fleece over them because the bricks were somewhat rough and I didnt want them getting scratched.

your girls might like laying on them for the cooling effect?? try putting a piece of smooth tile in their cage, they might like laying on it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.