Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Gain and Pregnancy

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
I've been weighing my pigs and for the most part they've stayed within the same weight, give or take an ounce. But when I picked up both Jasmine and Lavender today to give them lap time I ended up feeling what felt like little kicks when I placed my hand against their sides. Should I be worried that they aren't gaining weight? Could I be feeling something else? I was really hoping that neither one was pregnant. When Jasmine went to the vet, she said that Jasmine didn't feel pregnant when she did her examination.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
How long has it been since the exam? And how long have you had the girls and since they were exposed to males?

I wouldn't worry too much just because you thought you felt kicks, because it could have been anything.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
The exam was approximately 2 weeks ago. They were separated from the male August 1, 2009. Both Lavender and Patches were born Mid-June while I was in summer school. I've calculated that they'd be around 52-59 days if they had somehow gotten pregnant within that last week. But I would think I would've seen an increase in weight. It's basically stayed within the same range. I've had them here with me since August 23 but I'm positive that they've had no contact with males since the 1st. They were in my room under my care while I was at home and I kept them all separated.

Thanks Paula, it's just after everything I went through with Honey, I don't want a repeat.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think you'd definitely have seen some weight gain if they were that far along.

I understand you're worried and for good reason, but I don't know that there's a reason to be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.