Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Making a C&C Cage, can you answer a few questions, please?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I'm making a 2x4 C&C Cage for my two females and I was wondering ... how much did it cost you TOTAL to make your C&C Cage? I just want to estimate how much I'll spend, etc.
And where did you get your supplies? I can't seem to find the right cubes anywhere. :(
Do your pigs genuinely seem to enjoy living in their C&C Cage as opposed to their previous cage? Was it worth the money/energy spent?
What type of bedding do you use? Does it work well? Do you recommend it?
Thanks in advance! lol

juliaaa

Cavy Slave
I got two full sheets of coroplast (I was making a cage for my bunny too) each for $15 from a local sign shop. The cheapest I found cubes was $20 for a 6-cube set from Kmart. I think they have 4-cube sets from Walmart for around $25.

Looking back at when my first guinea pig was in his pet store cage, I honestly think he was depressed. He moped around and never wanted to play or anything. Since then I have made a 5x2 with a 1x2 upper level C&C cage and adopted another guinea pig. He is a totally different guinea pig now. He is so happy and noisy, it was well worth all the money and effort to make the cage.

I use aspen bedding, and it does make a big mess, so I'm considering switching to fleece, which I think most people would agree is the best bedding.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can often find grids at places like Target (as long as they are the ones with 9x9 holes), Bed, Bath and Beyond, Wal-Mart, Costco and there is a sticky thread about places you can find them online to purchase here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/43050-where-buy.html.

Coroplast can be found at sign shops, printing places, some Home Depots.

My girls have always loved having a large cage. It stimulates them, it gives them a lot of room to roam around, encourages exploration and exercise. A cavy can't really get exercise in most petstore cages as they are too small.

If you can't find grids, closet shelving is an alternative. Places like Home Depot, Lowe's and other hardware type stores carry closet shelving. Most places will also cut it down to size. Closet shelving also makes a good lid.

Bedding questions need to be asked in our bedding forum. Or you can browse that forum and get ideas on good bedding.

mylilchichi

Cavy Slave
I was able to get 68 cubes at a flea market for $20.00 and I got my coroplast for $12.00 at a sign and lettering shop.So $32.00 is what the cage cost us and yes it is way better for my piggies to have this 2x4 cage vs. the crappy thing that pet stores sell.I use fleece in my cage and I love it no smells no mess and alot cheaper than having to buy bedding.My piggies are so happylollol

MapleSyrup

Cavy Slave
My total spending cost is about $34.00? $20.00 for coro, and $14.00 for the cubes in Bed,Bath,and Beyond. Fleece I love! So soft and comfy...

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I literally JUST bought my materials and made my 2x5 cage. Here in NW Washington, I was able to find my coroplast at a local sign shop for $20 for a 39" by 83" sheet. I needed 14 grids to go around it. I got them from Fred Meyer at $14.99 for a box of 12 grid squares. If I hadn't wanted to build a base to put them up off the floor and give me some pig supply storage space, I would have only needed 2 boxes of grids and I'd have had 10 left over for my future planned second level.

I could have built my cage for $50...

BUT! I ended up wanting to make a bottom storage space and bought 3 boxes of grids, so my cage cost me $65. (Plus gas to run around and get everything, which wasn't much.)

I'm picking up my pigs from a local rescue this weekend, so I haven't had any first hand experience with C&C... but I can tell you that when I was growing up, my piggies who were stored by traditional, unfair pet store standards did not live anywhere NEAR the 5-7 year life expectancy. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Good luck!

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
If you're lazy or you can't find one of the components you can buy it here from this site but then you have to pay the shipping.

Buy a C&C cage

I love fleece. I always buy it on sale at Jo-Ann fabrics, or from the rements section.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.