Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Calling Bunny Experts, questions! (long)

tenn38

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I've been trying to decide whether a guinea pig or rabbit would be a better pet for me. Please help me decide, here's the deal:

1. I have an area for a cage planned out, that will hold a 2x3 or 3x3 cage, 2 levels, maybe even 3.

2. I will be able to have floor time for around 2 or 3 hours everyday.

3. The main factor my parents don't like about a guinea pig is that "the cage stinks", but the people they're getting this from probably only changed the bedding now and then. I've read that bunny pee doesn't stink as much when you get them neutered: True? False?

4. With a litterpan, i think it would be easier for me not to have to change an entire cage of bedding.

5. I would rather have an animal that will be willing to let you hold it and interact with you. Which one is better when it comes to this?

One more question: (sorry!) If I do eventually decide on getting bunnies, what cage size is best assuming there will be 2 full levels?

bromers

Cavy Slave
well i think that a rabbit would be better than a pig as they do smell less and there poo is easy 2 clean than pigs. you cannot put the rabbits in a cage that is closed if you grids are only 1 grid high they need to be able to stand up filly on there legs and have three bunny hops at least along there cage than it is big enough

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
There are both pros and cons to rabbits and guinea pigs.

Rabbits:

Pros: They are easier to littertrain, they are intelligent and like to play with toys, they seldom bite, they do not stink when kept clean and fixed, they are entertaining, they can be very affectionate, sometimes they can come when called

Cons: They might be more expensive because they must be spayed/neutered, some rabbits do not like to be picked up and cuddled, they can be shy around new people, it is much harder to bunny proof than to pig proof a room, they need lots of stimulation , attention, and toys; they must get at least 3-4 hours of exercise time a day, they have the potential to chew things up; most rabbits appreciate having the company of another rabbit, but bonding can be difficult, they can shed quite a bit

Guinea pigs:

Pros: easier to handle, most like cuddling or tolerate it, much easier to pig proof a room, easier to groom

Cons: more difficult to littertrain, might not be as interactive as a rabbit, must be kept in pairs, need daily vitamin C

I know more about rabbits than piggies so maybe someone can fill in some more.

Bigger is always better when it comes to cages. Since you said it had to be either a 2X3 or a 3X3, I would go with the 3X3 for rabbits and make at least two levels.

Visit www.rabbit.org for more info on rabbit care

tenn38 said:
Hi everyone, I've been trying to decide whether a guinea pig or rabbit would be a better pet for me. Please help me decide, here's the deal:

1. I have an area for a cage planned out, that will hold a 2x3 or 3x3 cage, 2 levels, maybe even 3.

3. The main factor my parents don't like about a guinea pig is that "the cage stinks", but the people they're getting this from probably only changed the bedding now and then. I've read that bunny pee doesn't stink as much when you get them neutered: True? False?

4. With a litterpan, i think it would be easier for me not to have to change an entire cage of bedding.

5. I would rather have an animal that will be willing to let you hold it and interact with you. Which one is better when it comes to this?

One more question: (sorry!) If I do eventually decide on getting bunnies, what cage size is best assuming there will be 2 full levels?

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

JennieAliza

Cavy Slave
tenn38 said:

This is a difficult question to answer. Rabbits are a lot more demanding than guinea pigs are, in terms of floor time, contact, diet and health. That said, also rabbits can be more engaging than guinea pigs. Both types of animals are social, so it is important to provide them with a companion.

Please keep in mind that bunnies can be more difficult to take care of, especially as a first pet. If you like guinea pigs, they do require work as well in order to take good care of them, but rabbits require significantly a lot more attention. In terms of housing, it is important to provide them with a large cage that they can run around in as well as spend hours outside of the cage since they are active animals.

In regard to the smell of guinea pigs, if you clean the cage frequently, they should not smell. Male guinea pigs, being territorial, can place scent marks and odors that can be unpleasant. On the other hand, male bunnies can mark their scent by urinating in specific places which can be unpleasant as well.

tenn38

Cavy Slave
I would be adopting either of the two options from a shelter, and the pro to that is that most are already neutured/have a planned date to be. Also, I would do my best to find a pair that's bonded already, so it would probably make their homecoming a little easier on them...

I've had a dog, I have multiple aquariums, and more.. so the responsibility of either animal is not an issue. I think I'm really leaning towards rabbits at this point, but I'm still researching and poking around at some information. Whatever my choice is, I want to make sure I know what exactly I'm getting into.

Any more input?? Thanks!

JennieAliza

Cavy Slave
tenn38 said:
I would be adopting either of the two options from a shelter, and the pro to that is that most are already neutured/have a planned date to be. Also, I would do my best to find a pair that's bonded already, so it would probably make their homecoming a little easier on them...

I've had a dog, I have multiple aquariums, and more.. so the responsibility of either animal is not an issue. I think I'm really leaning towards rabbits at this point, but I'm still researching and poking around at some information. Whatever my choice is, I want to make sure I know what exactly I'm getting into.

Any more input?? Thanks!
I would highly recommend a Netherland Dwarf rabbit as they tend to be on the smaller side. I believe they reach a maximum weight of 2.5 - 3 lbs as an adult. In addition, they can be funny and entertaining. It is great that you plan to do a lot of research before you bring the bunnies into your home.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Netherland dwarfs are small rabbits, but they can be hyper and some are high strung. I have a netherland dwarf and he is very sweet, but he sometimes nips when annoyed with us. If you build a two level 3X3, I think it would be appropriate for almost any size rabbit. I think a good first time rabbit is a New Zealand, as they are big, lazy, laid-back rabbits. A lot of people pass them up at the shelter because of their red eyes, but most are incredibly sweet and mellow. All rabbits have different personalities, so choose one that appeals to you.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Please handle a rabbit first before you get one. Many many people are allergic to rabbits without even knowing this. More people are prone to allergies from rabbits than from guinea pigs.

tenn38

Cavy Slave
I've played with two of my friends' rabbits and it never bothered me-- I'm not really allergic to much.

What do you guys think of mini-lops?
My friend's lop is pretty laid-back. She has a dwarf too(can't remember what kind) and she said that dwarfs are more skittish. If I find a bonded pair at a shelter, I would want at least one of them to be a mini-lop. She's letting me borrow some books tomorrow so I can read more. Wish me luck.

Moxie

Cavy Slave
Mini lops tend to be pretty laid back......I have two mini rexes; some people also call them the "velveteen rabbit" because their fur is sooooo soft. I like mini rexes because they are a good size and I love their fur! One of my mini rexes really likes to be scratched on the head but the other would much rather hop around and get into trouble (hehehe silly rabbit, her name is Lilly so her nick name is Silly Lilly lol) So if would want a laid back rabbit that is not too big a mini lop would be good, or a Holland lop I think they are a medium sized rabbit also.

Poohbear

tenn38

Cavy Slave
I asked my friend today, and holland lops are actually smaller than mini's. I think I will either try to find a holland or mini lop at a shelter, whichever I find.

Queen B-- you mentioned that earlier in the thread...

Poohbear

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
I have a mini rex. As previously stated, they are known as the "velveteen rabbit" because their fur is sooooo soft. I like his fur because it is so short it doesn't seem to end up everywhere - very easy to manage. Mini rex's are know for their great personality as well. The one I have can be precocious outside the cage if he is bored, but otherwise he is gentle, sweet, loving and smart! They aren't one of the larger rabbits so this breed is good for a 3x3 cage. Look at my cage that I built him. I will be moving some of the cubes around to create a taller section so he will have more room vertically, but otherwise this size is perfect for him to hang out in while I'm at work. His cage smells only if I fail to change the litter.

I find that he is much like taking care of a cat (who is part goat - chewing anything rubber or leather that I forgot to bunny-proof). He loves companionship, skritches, and being playful, but he is also content hiding and sleeping under my bed.

I vote for rabbit! Although I am a bit biased! Here are my pic's... (broken link removed)

Good Luck!

tenn38

Cavy Slave
Ugh! My friend has 4 dwarf rabbits under a year old, I don't know if she bought them or if another rabbit had them. Anyway, her mom didn't want them and let them outside while my friend was sleeping. I told her to try and catch them today and if she does to give them to me. If she does give them to me, I'll probably find another home for at least 2 of the 4. I guess we'll have to see tomorrow... Am I wrong for getting incredibly mad at her mom? My other friend even gave them the number for the shelter but they didn't even try to call it or even give the rabbits to one of us.. What the heck.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
You are incredibly right for getting angry with the mother. Rabbits cannot survive in the wild, they WILL die. They fall victim to predators, injury, starvation, cars, disease, and lots of other horrible deaths.

tenn38

Cavy Slave
Those are all the things I told her. When she told her mom she was going to try to catch them and give them to me, her mom told her "Oh, but they're already happy living outside!" She did go outside to try to catch them but supposedly couldn't, even though she told me that the morning after her mom let them out that she fed them apples when they came to her. Around here a lot of people have big hunting dogs. Every summer there are a lot of even WILD dead rabbits because of the dogs. But not to mention, it's way below freezing around here right now, every plant around is frozen stiff, and there's tons of traffic. I highly doubt they'll make it another week.

"Happy," Um, yeah, right. Has she asked the rabbits that while they starve, freeze, get chased by dogs, and dodge traffic? I think not. I'm really mad about this.

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
That story is truly disheartening. Where are you located? I was planning on adopting more rabbits anyway. I would be willing to give a home to a few of them. How big are they? I have a mini rex all alone in a huge cage - see my photos.

If they are local I'll go and try to catch them myself!! Horrible!

:(

tenn38

Cavy Slave
Near Chicago, but she supposedly "couldn't catch them". From the way she said it, I don't think she even tried. I'm still shaken by the "happy outside!" thing. I might find out where she lives and go myself to try to catch them, but they're dwarves so it's going to be hard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.