Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm gettin' a new piggie...

P

Peggy IL

I'm gettin' a new piggie...

I was given a guinea pig for Christmas. One week after I picked it up it died of a URI. It was from Petco! I will never accept another pet from there and definitely will never buy one from there. They said their whole shipment died after being sold to individuals! "Shipment!?!?" like they are some kind of object! I was appalled at how uncaring they were.

My whole family was already so attached to Li'l Kritter and we spent lots of time getting to know her and making sure she was comfy and well taken care of. We were crushed when she died. I said I would not get another one for awhile because it hurt too badly. But then last night I was looking at piggie sights and knew in my heart there is a piggie out there waiting for me. I checked all the local shelters and rescues. There were several piggies I would have chosen. Then today as I was thinking about it (constantly! :) ) we went to our local mom-and-pop pet store to see what kind of guinea pig supplies I might be able to buy there as I don't want to go to Petco again. The owner normally doesn't sell guinea pigs and today was no different, but as my husband and I told her our story she said she knew of someone who took in piggies to foster and the lady might have one for me to adopt. I am so excited. I will probably find out tomorrow if she has one. If she doesn't have one now she will in the near future.

I spent the evening disinfecting everywhere my Li'l Kritter had been and anything she touched. I disinfected and then rinsed everything very well.

I called my vet and I received information about what to look for healthwise and what to watch for. I have read every cavy sight on the web, I think! I feel well informed now, whereas I wasn't when I got my Li'l Kritter or I might have been able to save her. I feel very guilty about not knowing how serious sneezing is...because she had sneezed all week (from the moment I picked her up at Petco, although not constantly) before she died.

If there is anything else I need to do before I get my piggie please let me know. I only want to provide a good home for my new friend.

Peggy IL

Attachments

Photo on 7-5-12 at 12.00 PM #2.jpg Photo on 7-5-12 at 12.00 PM.jpg Photo on 7-5-12 at 11.51 AM.jpg Photo on 7-5-12 at 11.51 AM #2.jpg
B

Briana D

Re: I'm gettin' a new piggie...

I'm sorry to hear about your first pig experience. I'm to hear that your loss didn't ruin your whole guinea pig experience.

One thing I've learned from having guinea pigs is that there is always something else to learn. I recommend you read all of www.cavyspirit.com and all of www.guinealynx.com . You will find never ending information on guinea pigs.

Also a good rule is that if you ever suspect there might be something wrong with your guinea pig go to the vet. Guinea pigs are well known for being able to hide their illnesses until it is almost too late. Go with your gut feelings and don't listen to anyone that may criticize you.

Good luck on your new pig! Again, I am sorry about your first pig. At least she knew happiness when she was with you. In your pigs death, she helped you save another life.

P

Peggy IL

I have a new piggie, but I did not get it the way I thought I would.

The local pet store owner said she had 2 guinea pigs brought in by people who gave no reason for giving them up except they said they had too many. They were checked out and seem to be healthy although she thinks the female is pregnant. The pair are brother and sister. She said they would need to be separated and asked me if I would take one. I decided to take the female because she had someone who wanted the male as a companion to their male. I am still waiting on a rescue pig, and I don't think I want to withdraw my adoption request just yet. I have found good homes for the prospective babies if they materialize so I will still be able to take the rescue pig.

In the meantime I am very happy with Charlie (her real name is Charlotte), but a bit apprehensive about a pregnant pig. I don't have any experience with this sort of thing, but I hated to see this piggie sit in a pet shop or go to a rescue shelter and not have a proper home.

So I may be asking lots of questions on this forum. Please be patient with me as I learn how to give this piggie the best life possible.

B

Briana D

I would suggest going over to Guinea Lynx (www.guinealynx.info) and reading up about pregnancy so you know what to look for. There is also a great forum over there with very experienced people.

Sign up at the forum and all your questions will be answered. If you have any problems with your pig coming up on her delivery they will surely be able to help. Hope to see you over there!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.