Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How to make bed spread ?

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
I'm feeling adventerous and wondering if anyone could provide a link or the materials i need to make a piggie bed spread. Thanks.

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
We were just talking about this on another thread. I think this is the material for the middle layer of piggy bed spread. It's called Zorb.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/47310-have-you-seen-zorb.html

You can buy it from (broken link removed)
Compare to the description of piggy bed spread.
(Link removed by moderator)
If you do a google search you'll find many reviews on cloth diapers sites.

For the top layer, we all know it's fleece.
For the bottom layer, I think it's either (broken link removed)
or (broken link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I was looking into getting one made (link you post) But,shipping to Ireland costs like a zillion $ . I have 2 months to get it sorterd. (christmas pressie for the pigs) Many thanks for the reply.
"homemade cloth diapers " i guess thats terri cloth material ?

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
You're welcome. If you look at Wazoodle site, there's a section for diapers. It's almost the same thing we use for our cage. Top layer fleece, absorbent layer cotton, or other absorbent fabric. I think you can find most of the fabric locally, except Zorb. Looks like it's only available through Wazoodle.

ETA: There's a comparison between each absorbent fabric on this thread.
(broken link removed)

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
I checked them out,they ship to ireland. I just entered 2 yds to see the shipping cost. Only $12 so thats pretty good. You have been a great help. Thanks.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I thought they were out of stock. I've been waiting to order.

ETA: They have sample cuts available. But it's only 20"x24".

Last edited:

lmracing8l

Cavy Slave
I have been making piggie bedspreads. I used Bed pads like they use in the nursing homes. I put fleece for the top layer, the absorbant pad for the 2nd layer. The pad absorbs while it has vinyl like fabric on the bottom so it doesn't go through. It works great! The website is northshorecare.com. The pricing is very close compared to the Zorb fabric.

lmracing8l

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add I use the Sofnit 300 White Item #5411 4pk.

uglypiggy

Cavy Slave
zorb looks like a great alternative, if not better, to towels! I plan on buying some when they come back in stock.

One thing I'm wondering is what would be the best or most affordable elastic product to sew into the fleece to make for easier removal/putting on? Maybe I'd prefer something available in town so I don't have to pay for shipping if the former is harder to find.

I'm not a sewer by any means (never sewed anything in my life) but i'm willing to try.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm not a sewer by any means (never sewed anything in my life) but i'm willing to try.

I also never sewn anything in my life. I just started sewing after I got the pigs. I put together an easy step-by-step instructions for sewing cage pads and sent to guineapigfun.com.
Cage Pad by Lis

It's doesn't have the sides like piggy bed spread but it works fine for me. I don't have burrowers.

I am planning to add zorb for the absorbent layer and the waterproof backing to my pads.

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
Okay I am getting some of this Zorb stuff. If my cage is 4x3 and I have 2 of them, how many of those Zorbs things do I need? -lol- I completely suck at this.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
I also never sewn anything in my life. I just started sewing after I got the pigs. I put together an easy step-by-step instructions for sewing cage pads and sent to guineapigfun.com.
Cage Pad by Lis

It's doesn't have the sides like piggy bed spread but it works fine for me. I don't have burrowers.

I am planning to add zorb for the absorbent layer and the waterproof backing to my pads.

Some of the words in the u.s are different to the words we use here. A mattress pad,is that a mattress protector ? Ans is that all thats needed. I loved the pictures,thats exactly what i was looking for.
So all i need is fleece and mattress protector ???

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can use 100% cotton mattress protector for the absorbancy layer.
Mine is sewn to 100% polyester mattress protector. It does not help with the absorbancy. I use mine in a combination with puppy pads. I replace the puppy pads everyday for the wet corners.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
I looked into puppy pads here. Very pricy. What else can be used as the 3rd layer ?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You may not need 3rd layer since coroplast is water proof. Some people just use mattress protector and fleece.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Really. Great. i just saw washable mattress pads on wallgreen site but only u.s shipping :( so happens i have a single bed mattress protector. Maybe poppy & princess will get a christmas present after all :)

angiekay

Cavy Slave
Ohhh, I'm so glad I come across this thread, I was thinking of taking my towels/fleece to a local seamstress to see how much she would charge me to just sew them together, I gotta either order me some of this zorb stuff, or do the mattress pad thing.

Princesspoppy (or anyone) who has the mattress pad/fleece type setup, does it work good with absorbing? And how often do you switch/change/clean your cage with that type setup instead of the towels/fleece setup?

I'm getting 5-6 days with not too bad of a problem with smell or anything.

And the directions for making one of these says a Queen size mattress pad to make 2 - 2 X 5's, I have one 2 X 4 and one 3 X 4, would a single King size mattress pad be enough to make a pad for both cages? Or am I going to have to buy two queens?

Wodentoad

Cavy Slave
If you need the math on making the fleece fitted to the coroplast, I've posted it before and I'll gladly post it again. I use towels under my fleece, but I sew the fleece so that it makes a little fitted cover for my coroplast because my boys are notorious corner poop sculptors. This is the same as used for the pro ones.

I've actually figured out a second method of doing this that would make the pretty bordered version. Just let me know if you're to that step yet :cheerful:

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
I think i'm going to give it a try. I won't be using the coroplast just yet ,i'm still using the plastic table covering so the mattress pad will lay flat. Fleece and doubled over mattress pad/protector.
If it needs more abosrbancy then i'll have to rethink the materials.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
If you need the math on making the fleece fitted to the coroplast, I've posted it before and I'll gladly post it again. I use towels under my fleece, but I sew the fleece so that it makes a little fitted cover for my coroplast because my boys are notorious corner poop sculptors. This is the same as used for the pro ones.

I've actually figured out a second method of doing this that would make the pretty bordered version. Just let me know if you're to that step yet :cheerful:

Ok, I will let you know once I get my materials, but I will be taking mine to a seamstress to do the sewing part, I just need to know how to tell her to do it. Thanks so much!:) I also really need mine to "lap over" the edge of the rear of the cage where my boys also love to be poo sculptors, lol. I clip it to the back side of my coro (4" in the back) with binder clips. The front can just lay flat though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.