Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Skinny C&C?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to work things out in my tiny apartment.

I am wondering, would something that is 20" wide by 98" long be okay for 3 pigs? (2x7, but overlapping grids a little for space constraints) I mean technically, I know it is, but I am a little iffy on the width.

How do you feel about it?

Anyone have a skinny cage?

I'm thinking they would appreciate the increase in length to run, rather than a short multi-level.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
2 grids wide isn't any narrower than your average C&C cage. It probably just LOOKS skinny because it's 7 grids long. A 2X5 is good for 2 pigs. 2X7 is fine for 3.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The cage technically wouldn't be a 2x7 because you'd be cutting the width down by about 8" per grid in length. It would be more like a 1.5x7.

Some pigs like to run mad laps and by the time you add in things like their hideys, dishes, tents/tunnels/cozies, etc. they won't have as much space in width to run their mad laps.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Exactly...that's why I am a little iffy on this. I know adding things will cut out some of the square footage, plus with boars, I don't want any more fighting now that (cross my fingers) everyone is happy in their groups. But mine do like running like mad, so I want to give them maximum space to do so, which will either be long and somewhat skinny, or short (2x5) with a loft, with the loft functioning as a "kitchen". I wish I had the space for a 3 grid wide cage - that would be ideal.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Can you do a 2x5 with an additional 1.5x2 on the end? So it would be 7 grids long but the width would be 2 grids for part of it and 1.5 grids for part of it. That way they would get a bit more space than a 2x5 but could still run laps in the wider part.

Wodentoad

Cavy Slave
Zane has no problem on the 1x4 top floor of our cage. He runs, turns (he corners well for a piggie that long) and runs down again. With a little extra room, they'll have no trouble running, I don't think, as long as there are no obstructions.

I refer to it as "Straightpiping" my pig. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.