Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Separation anxiety?

PJandMess

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Mess recently had 3 pups and they are now 3 weeks old and doing great. My concern is that when I take them out to play with them, they begin to wheek excessively until I put them back in the cagewith their mother and father. Is there something I can do to get them to be more comfortable or will something like this just take some time?

Thank you for you help...

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My first question is are the mother and father separated? My second question is have you sexed the pups?

It's pretty normal for pups to get some separation anxiety when they are young like that and being away from mom.

PJandMess

Cavy Slave
The pups are all boys. They stay with their mother, and from what I have read, they should soon be separated from her since they are now 3 weeks old. I let them stay in the other cage I have with their father from time to time. These are my first pigs and it was my first batch of pups. Just looking for some advice as well as some help.

Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sorry, missed your response to this. It's now approved. It's time to remove the male pups from mom and let them live with dad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.