Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Daisy and Buttercup

Coryn

Cavy Slave
Hello, my name i Coryn and im new to the site with two new piggies!

I had my first two Guinea pigs when I was 7 years old and they lived till the ripe old age of 9!
I have Daisy (crested, tan and black stripe) who was born in March and Buttercup (Teddy, white, tan and brown) who was born in May.

I rescued them from the Rspca (England) where I work as a volunteer. They were taken away from a breeder who ended up with far to many to cope with, lots of different piggies living in a small enviroment all mating with each other. About 30 were brought in as we did'nt have the space for all 60 and they were all crawling in mites and the long haired guinea pigs were a mess :weepy:. The sad thing is that most of these piggies are pregnant and we are just waiting now to see if they give birth.

The good news is that alot of them have been adopted which is great. I choose mine because they were put together so they were already friends and they were so mis-match because Daisy is so big and buttercup was a bit of a runt lol.

I have had them for a month now and i'm having a few problems and would really appreciate any help you can give me!

Daisy is most probably pregnant but Im not overly sure. I will take them back to the Rspca at 3 weeks and hopefully be able to take them all home and in seperate cages if there are any males obvisouly! If she is pregnant she has been for over 2 months now so im not sure. They dont allow people to adopt pregnant piggies by the way it's only because I work there.

Also because of the enviroment they have come from they are VERY VERY shy. I have left them alone to get used to there new house and tried giving them lots of cuddles (not so much for the pregnant piggie) and they go in the garden everyday in their run. They dont seem to like me at all, can I do anything to help?

They also are not drinking at all!!!! I fill there water bottle (working fine) with fresh water everyday and I even tried a bowl of water but no! They havent drunk water for over a month. The love their dry food, straw and greens and salad so are they getting enough water from that? Surely not?

Thank you for any advice you can give and look forward to discussing our furry friends together :)

Coryn

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome.

Pigs are sometimes skittish and shy, it doesn't mean they don't like you, it's just it's their nature to run away as they are prey animals. You have to give it a lot of time and be patient and they will get more used to you as time passes.

They should be getting grass hay, not straw. If you are giving wet veggies they may be getting enough water from that or they may not like the type of water bottle you are using.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh, I so wished I could get one of the long haired piggies, I'm looking and waiting now to get another one for my Barney, we had to separate them, I will have 4 total, 2 each cage. So glad you took these babies to give them a new home, I'm sure they will come around, it's just going to take a bit longer considering the enviornment they came from I guess. Good Luck!! God Bless You!!!

Coryn

Cavy Slave
Sorry I meant Hay not straw lol

Im using the average water bottle that you see every where called 'classic'!

When they were at the Rspca they were using the same and would drink from it? Maybe they are just getting used to every thing still. They look perfectly healthy and happy so if there are any problems i'll just take them to the vet

Thank you:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.