Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Extra grids

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of buying extra grids (I live in a rural area and will order online, I can get free shipping if I buy two sets as it will be over $50 order. Assume Whitmor is the correct brand ?)

My question is: are the sets easy to put together quickly for an impromptu play area? For instance, I might want to use some as a fence one day to block off an area of the house. Or make a play pen for the deck another day if I am outside. Coroplast would not be involved in this. They'd never be left unsupervised, but I would like to take them out when I work on my flowers, etc.

Would it be easier to hook the sets together with plastic ties and not use the connector things, and so be able to fold up the whole thing?

Also, in another post a person responded that the pigs are shy when in a new spot. Is that just in case I take them with me to the grandkids house or will they become accustomed to different areas of my home?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I need to think about all this thoroughly before I get my guinea pigs.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Cubes are very versitile. I find it easier to use the connectors for cages because if I use the ties and fold it, i'd have to carry a big mess of metal. In your case, maybe the ties would be easier? I really don't see why your piggies wouldn't eventually get used to a new area they're exposed to.

No such thing as too many questions either. Ask all you want. :)

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I would say that your guinea pigs will become accustomed to the different areas of your house. And if you ziptie many grids together you can easily fold it up and use it as a playpen to put the piggies in a different areas, although I would keep atleast 2 connecters set aside to put the 2 ends together when you are ready to use it.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I find it easier to use the connectors for cages because if I use the ties and fold it, i'd have to carry a big mess of metal.

Actually it's much easier to zip tie it. If you use connectors you will have to disconnect it and reconnect it each time. If it is zip tied, you can fold it all up accordion-style and just carry the stack. It will not be a "big mess of metal".

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Actually it's much easier to zip tie it. If you use connectors you will have to disconnect it and reconnect it each time. If it is zip tied, you can fold it all up accordion-style and just carry the stack. It will not be a "big mess of metal".

Folding really was never my strong point. :p

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
It is not mine either, but I thought I'd give it a try. I will let you all know how this works out !

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Another thing is that since you said that you will also be taking the playpen type cage to your daughters house when you go for a few days every month you may want to consider getting a cheap shower curtain liner, cotton blankets, towels, and fleece to set up at your daughters house.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
I was also thinking about doing this with some extra grids. I just got another box today from Big Lots ($20), as we are in the process of remodeling the c & c due to a dominant boar problem!

Let us know how it works out, I would like to know for sure.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Another thing is that since you said that you will also be taking the playpen type cage to your daughters house when you go for a few days every month you may want to consider getting a cheap shower curtain liner, cotton blankets, towels, and fleece to set up at your daughters house.

I am lucky, my local Bed, Bath will order the cubes for $14.99 a set and I will use one of those coupons. Then my sister has lots of fleece as the local fleece store went out of business and she bought a lot and I have asked everyone I know for old towels. I have a huge plastic table cloth to put under any configuration I make. I think I am good to go.

Where does one get the shelving top I see used? I do have a cat and will need to put a top on my cage.

Can someone please explain, do you need to tuck the fleece in securely over the towels? Can the pigs burrow and suffocate? How often does the fleece need to be washed and do the towels get washed just as often? I have a large capacity washer. Sure feel for anyone who has to wash by hand ! But it shows your dedication to your little pets !

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Well, I saw a NASCAR fleece on Ebay $3.99 with free shipping. Then I saw it was a new seller and I knew she'd not make a cent on the auction, so I bid on another that charged a small amount for shipping so she'd at least not lose money. I am not a NASCAR fan, but hope the guinea pigs are ! I think I am all set on fleece now.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
The shelving top can be found at walmart and any hardware store it is the closet shelving.

rahunter

Cavy Slave
I purchased 2 set of cube grids from a craigslister. These were 6 cube sets, so I had plenty left over after making a 2 story cage. I zip tied my extras to make a fence and kept the box to store it in when not in use. It's very easy to open out and fold up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.