Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is Pookie pregnant?

duhhitsmelissa

Cavy Slave
I got Pookie like a week and a half ago from a petstore. She was housed with another female so i dont think she had male contact. I'm not sure if she's pregnant, or just getting fat. Her belly is more plump than usual. She's been drinking more water than usual. Not eating more than usual though. She's pooping and peeing. Is she just a bit bloated? Help!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the problem with the pet store is that although she may have been housed with another female when you bought her, you have no way of knowing whether or not she was in contact with males prior to your purchase. Actually, unless you verified for yourself that her cage mate was in fact female, you can't be certain she was in fact a she.

A picture would help us here to determine whether or not she's actually pregnant, but only a vet can say for sure. If she is pregnant, I hope you have a good cavy savvy vet lined up, as there are numerous possible complications.

Please consider getting a friend for her, as guinea pigs are social creatures that will thrive with companionship of like kind. If you decide to acquire a friend for her, please adopt and don't buy, because buying only perpetuates a cruel cycle of breeding and abuse.

duhhitsmelissa

Cavy Slave
Thank you.

I actually did get a friend for Pookie. She's in quarantine right now. So in about two weeks, they will meet for the first time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.