Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Do teddys have special grooming?

Piggly is I

Cavy Slave
I have a rough haired teddy guinea pig and I noticed she doesn't shed a lot like the abbys, made me wonder if it is getting stuck in her fluffy coat. Is there special grooming that needs to be done for teddys? or abbys for that matter.;)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No but teddies can be prone to dry skin and fungus.

Piggly is I

Cavy Slave
ok, her hair looks healthy though, its shiny and isn't flaky, but ive heard teddies need to be bathed often,every couple weeks, is this true?

kdb6003

Cavy Slave
I have a black teddy who also has the dry/rough feeling fur, and he sheds plenty. He also has a bad habbit of urinating in his little house where he sleeps, which makes him odiferous! I try to not bathe him because of his dry hair issue. He is the most challenging piggy for me to keep clean. Have you had any adverse reactions to bathing your piggy every couple weeks? Or maybe you haven't tried it yet...

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
ok, her hair looks healthy though, its shiny and isn't flaky, but ive heard teddies need to be bathed often,every couple weeks, is this true?

I don't think so, as this can dry out their skin. They should only be bathed if it's necessary and only every 3-6 months at the most.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.