Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

New mum won't nurse: HELP!!

Gemma375

Cavy Slave
When I got my two Guinea Pigs (my first two) just about a month ago, I didn't know they were already pregnant. They were both quite young, and last week the smallest became quite ill. I took her to the vet and was told it was just the pregnancy, but the next morning she unfortunately passed away. It was only then that the vet told us that our other sow was pregnant. Thankfully, she gave birth to two little pups early this morning and so far both mother and the pups are doing well. However, I am a little concerned that she may not be nursing them correctly.
They seem to have bonded quite well, if I look in their little house, they are always lying together cuddled up and the mother definitely seems more skittish if I come near her or the pups than she used to be around me. One has also begun eating little bits of lettuce already. However, she doesn't seem to be giving them very much milk. This morning I saw her letting the other one suckle, but I haven't seen her do it for the other. Also, multiple times I've seen the pups following her around trying to get under her to suckle, but she will not sit to allow them to do so, she just continues to lay on her stomach as normal.
Also, if they are all walking around the cage and something scares them, the mother will often just dart back into the house nearly running over the top of the pups.
Is this normal, healthy behaviour, or should I be worried?
As my parents have said, it is possible they nurse in the house when I don't see them but multiple times I have checked on them and the mother is always lying on her stomach with one pup either side of her.
Should I consider taking them to a vet or getting some kind of alternative to try help hand-rear them?

Sorry about the questions, or if this is completely normal behaviour, but after losing our other sow just 3 days ago, we are on edge at the moment and don't want to miss out on any signs that we need to help them.

If you have any ideas, please help as I have been looking for more information everywhere and can't seem to find any. All cases I've read about mothers 'rejecting' and not feeding pups includes the mother not cuddling up to them either, so I'm a little confused about how worried I should be, exactly.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It is possible that they are nursing when you are not paying attention to them. The pups should start eating hay, veggies and pellets within 24 hours after being born. Unfortunately, there is no formula that you can give them instead of their mother's milk. But there are things like critical care and pellet mash that can be given if they are eating very little or aren't eating at all. If you don't have one already, invest in a scale and weigh the pups daily at the same time each day. This will help keep track of their weight and determine if they are gaining. It's possible for pups to lose a little in the first couple of days then they should start gaining. Read over this link as it contains some useful info: https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups

I am sorry for your loss of your other sow.

Gemma375

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for your replies.
The stores near me do not stock alfalfa, as apparently it is not a "big seller", so I've ordered some online and am driving out to a bigger store tomorrow morning to try and pick some up while I'm waiting for the hay I've ordered to be delivered.
I'm not 100% sure whether they are pooping as they and their mother are quite skittish at the moment, so I don't want to cause too much stress by getting into their cage too early, but I will try have a look when the mothers a little distracted, but they do seem hydrated and healthy little pups. Both are walking - and sometimes running around, jumping over food bowls, trying to climb up the sides of the house already and climbing over the top of their mother, so they seem active and healthy at the moment. I just know they can deteriorate very quickly if they're not looked after correctly.
And I'll definitely take your advice about weighing them.

Also, I was wondering how soon after the birth I can handle the mother? I used to have "lap time" at least once a day and in the days since we lost our other sow, I stepped that up to three to four times a day as she was very lonely and we noticed she came out eating and happier after a cuddle. However, I'm a little worried I may hurt her if I handle her too soon after the birth? I'm sure she must be quite sore as they were two very healthy sized pups!!

Gemma375

Cavy Slave
Okay, just an update! Late last night and this afternoon I had spotted mummy pig feeding the pups, and both have started nibbling at lettuce as well, so all seems well at the moment.

I was just wondering how long should I leave it before I take them all to the vet for the pups to be sexed? And will the mother still be sore? (She gave birth about 31 hours ago)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You can handle them now.

Unless there is a problem, you can wait to take them to the vet. Just make sure that they are properly sexed by 21 days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.