Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Questions about vet costs

L

LisaGlitterz4MC

Questions about vet costs

We're going to be making an appointment with the vet to have our new guinea pig, Sunflower, checked out. He sneezes a few times a day and he doesn't seem very happy lately, so we're worried. Money is tight this month, so I was wondering what the usual costs for a first visit are? Are vaccines and all the extras really necessary? What are the musts, and what are the things that could wait until next time? If Sunny has a URI, what are the typical costs for antibiotics and treatments?

Thanks SO much, in advance, to anyone who replies to this. We really appreciate your help!

- Lisa & Kelley

Attachments

Photo0137.jpg Photo0109.jpg Photo0110.jpg Photo0113.jpg Photo0118.jpg Photo0121.jpg IMAG0165.jpg Photo0123.jpg Photo0124.jpg Photo0126.jpg Photo0134.jpg Photo0140.jpg IMAG0167.jpg Photo0166.jpg Photo0165.jpg
J

janiexo

cost

I think the price's vary depending on region and how good the vet is. It cost me $50 when my pig had a URI, but it cost me $160 to diagnose ringworm. I think it depends on what's being done, but checkup is the most basic.

P

phone50

vet

When we had our piggie checked out it cost $36.00 at our vet. I don't know where you live ,but, prices can vary depending where you live. We live in Philadelphia PA.

Attachments

Photo on 6-17-12 at 3.38 PM.jpg Photo on 6-15-12 at 8.45 PM #4.jpg Photo on 6-15-12 at 8.45 PM #5.jpg Photo on 6-15-12 at 8.46 PM.jpg
L

LisaGlitterz4MC

thank you

Thank you for the responses. By the way, we are in Michigan. Do the vets tend to push vaccines, and are they really necessary? We don't want to sound ignorant, but this is our first guinea pig and we want to do the right thing. :)

- Lisa & Kelley

B

Briana D

Re: thank you

I don't know of any vaccines that guinea pigs need. If you pig is sick they'll definately give you the medication but I don't know of any safe vaccines given to pigs.

You may want to check out the vet section at Cavy Spirit (www.cavyspirit.com). Good luck with you pig - hopefully she doesn't have anything wrong with her.

Also regarding cost - the office visit for my vet is $50 plus anything extra and needs to be done. My vet is wonderful so I don't mind paying what he charges.

P

phone50

Re: Thank you

Brianna D is correct, our vet never pushed any vaccines(don't know of any). Make sure you get a Vet that knows about guinea pigs, ours is a exotic animal vet meaning he specializes in smaller animals(lizzards,mice,rats,guinea pigs etc.).

L

LisaGlitterz4MC

Sunny's first vet visit

Today we took Sunflower to the vet for the first time, and it was definitely a positive experience. Dr. Baron at the Downriver Animal Hospital (in Wyandotte, MI) was very friendly and knowledgeable. She thinks Sunny just has a mild URI and that a week's worth of antibiotics will take care of it. If not, we'll be bringing him back for bloodwork and other tests. So far he has only had one dose of the medicine (about six hours ago) and he is already acting like himself again! He's running around, popcorning, and making those adorable guinea pig noises!

Our vet costs, for the record, LOL, were $42 for the office visit, plus $12 for the medication.

We also brought a new cavy into the family today, one of the other males that Sunflower grew up with at the pet store. I wanted to adopt one, but I felt that Sunny might get along better with one he already knew. :) He is black and white (in contrast to Sunny's blonde and white), and I named him Gumdrop. He's very energetic and happy, and the two of them are very happy to see each other from across the room... can't wait until these three weeks are up so they can move into their new 2'x4' cage and play together! :) Hopefully no fighting... LOL :)

We just want to thank everybody here on the board for making it SO much easier to have our first (and second!) guinea pig! We'll keep you updated on "the kids" and how they are doing.

- Lisa & Kelley

B

Briana D

Re: Sunny's first vet visit

I'm glad to hear you quarantined your new pig.

Keep an eye on your new pig. If he shared a cage with your original pig it is very possible he may too have a URI.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.