Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Would you think this weight gain might mean they are pregnant?

danav

Cavy Slave
We got our two female piggies July 21 and do not really know their history, so I have no idea if they were with males before we got them or not. I didn't get a scale until Aug 7, so I don't know their weights the first couple of weeks. In the three weeks I have been weighing them, Hermione has gained 64g (2.26oz) - 53g were gained in just the last 5 days - and Ginny has gained 77g (2.72oz) - she's gained 50g in the past 10 days alone. Both of their bellies seem "fat" but we don't feel anything in there...no lumps or movement.

I know weights can vary a lot, but does this seem a normal amount of weight gain for a relatively young guinea pig (we were told they are "less than a year" old but don't know an actual age)? Or does this seem excessive and indicative of pregnancy?

I will add that I had stopped their veggies for a couple of days then limited veggies for several days in the past week because they have been having very soft/squishy poop (not diarrhea, formed but very soft). The poop has gotten slightly better, and as of yesterday I am giving them more veggies again. But in the past week, even with less veggies, they have both gained more weight than either had gained in between previous weigh-ins. They are getting Oxbow Cavy Cuisine and unlimited bluegrass hay.

If they are pregnant, they would be at least 5 1/2 weeks along since that's how long we've had them. Would a vet be able to easily tell at this point or should we wait a bit before taking them in? I'm wondering if I need to be giving them alfalfa pellets instead of the timothy pellets right now - I'll have to order some online if I should be using them.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
First, are you 100% positive both are girls? Don't rely on what someone else told you unless it was a vet or a reputable rescue. If not, separate them immediately, look up the sexing guide on guinea lynx, and if you're still not sure, ask a vet.

Where did you get them from? It it's a pet store, it is very likely they are pregnant. If it's Craigslist, it's hard to say, and if it's a rescue/shelter they are most likely not pregnant.

I would switch to alfalfa pellets (or another form of extra calcium--veggies with extra calcium are fine if you don't want to order new pellets). Growing pigs should have this anyway. Are you feeding veggies according to the charts? This is an important part of their diet, so I wouldn't stop feeding them. Just feed veggies with less water content, and no iceberg lettuce.

A vet can use an ultrasound to tell you for sure if they are pregnant. Otherwise you can just wait and see if you can feel the pups moving. Handle them gently in case they are pregnant. You can post a picture of them from above to get opinions, but this is not all that reliable in most cases. Good luck!

danav

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'm sure they are both females. Here are a couple of pictures to show their side/belly bulges. I have no experience with pregnant guinea pigs - if they are 6 or so weeks pregnant, would their sides/bellies be fairly firm? As of now they are soft and squishy - I don't feel anything that feels like babies in there.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
By the time a cavy is 6 weeks along in pregnancy, you'd pretty much be able to tell. If the sides feel kinda squishy, it's doubtful that one or both are pregnant. Also the pig does not look pregnant in the photos.

danav

Cavy Slave
Well, that's good to hear! I guess maybe they're just getting plump from good food. I suppose it won't be too long before we know for sure!

danav

Cavy Slave
Hmmm...this is Hermione's weight in the last couple weeks (she's the one in the second picture above, viewed from the front):

8-23 810g
8-28 863g
9-2 894g
9-3 920g
9-4 949g

Last night I was holding her with my hands under/around her belly, and I felt several times a very slight movement. :eye-poppi Could that possibly be her intestines or something, or is it pretty much a positive pregnancy sign? I did pick up some kale and parsley today to up her calcium intake just in case.

Ginnny, in the first picture viewed from the back, has only gained 49g in the same period of time that Hermione gained 139g, and I have not felt any movement in her belly yet...

danav

Cavy Slave
Update and new questions

I am definitely feeling kicks and wiggles on both sides of Hermione's belly today, and less pronounced but still definite movement on one side of Ginny's belly. So it appears I have two pregnant piggies.

I will call the vet Monday. Should I go ahead and take them in for a check?

I'm going to order some alfalfa pellets today. Do I need alfalfa hay as well, or will the pellets be enough along with the bluegrass hay I'm already feeding them (for both the mamas now and they babies when they arrive)?

I will babyproof the cage ASAP. I have a bent-grid hayrack - do I need to find something else to use for a while? Or will covering the cage grids be enough? I'm not clear if the danger is the babies escaping the cage through the grids, or getting stuck in them.

Anything else I need to do?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Re: Update and new questions

Just make sure you have a cavy savvy vet lined up and know what to do if there is an emergency.

Alfalfa pellets are sufficient.

The danger is the pigs getting stuck... you could always just take the hay rack out for a while.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.