Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Advice for a loose tooth please

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Two nights ago I noticed that one of my pigs has a loose upper incisor. I'm not exactly sure how he did it, but I'm wondering if it's from chewing on the grids of his cage. (My two males are seperated by a divider because of constant fighting, and they like to chew on the bars between their cages sometimes.) I've felt that the tooth is loose because it will wiggle a bit when I touch it. He is drinking and eating normally, although I did feed them both a carrot last night and had to cut his up into small pieces because he would not bite into it. I check both of their weights a few times per week and he has not lost any weight.

He does not seem to be in any pain, although I know that they won't always outwardly show discomfort. He does popcorn around his cage sometimes, so it's not like he's just laying around all day and night.

Do I need to take him to the vet, or just keep a closer eye on him and let nature take its course? I know that if a pig looses a tooth it will normally grow back. I just don't know if I'm supposed to remove a loose one to speed up the process. Thank you for your help!

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Ok, well I got no responses so I just assume let nature take its course.

It did. I came home from work this evening and the loose tooth is now gone. Still, he doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, and is eating and drinking normally.

So at this point do I continue to let it be and see if it grows back, or does this warrant a visit to the vet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
My advice would be to weigh daily to make sure that he is eating normally. It should grow back with no problems.

I'd like to add that you may need to hand feed if your piggie does lose weight.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sorry, didn't see this post.

I will grow back on it's own. If he has any problems eating just chop veggies into small easy to eat strips. A vet visit wouldn't be warranted at this stage. I've had pigs lose a tooth before with no ill effects or problems.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Re: Advice for a loose tooth please - RESOLVED

I was worried at first when this happened, so I know others might have had the same question I had.

So to follow up, Chuck is doing just fine. He ate well (actually gained a little weight) even with the missing tooth. The new one started growing in right away, and as of last night I would say it's 3/4 in already. Wow they grow fast!

So anyway, I just wanted to post this just in case anyone else had the same situation and was worried about their pig. Weigh them often, and watch to make sure they are eating and drinking. Other than that, they should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.