Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Food!

J

JJThinker

Food!

Okay maybe I'm missed something but I never believe reading that the pellets that I give my piggy are made from Alfalfa. Am I giving my pet the wrong kind of food. I'm a new pig own and I've only had her (I believe I will call her Lucy) about 4 days. I read all the info about Alfalfa being bad because it creates stones because of the calcium intake. But the same pellets that I'm giving my pig say they are made from dehydrated alfalfa.

In addition to giving it the pellets (two different brands; I wanna know which one she likes) I am also giving her the Timothy Hay (which she eats all night long).

I have another question as well. My piggy is very scared right now. It's like she never ever wants to see me. Now I know that she's got a new home and everything; in fact I've probably only held her twice since I got her for about 2 hours each time. This is because I have to "chase" her around her cage every time I want to hold and I don't think she likes it. So I guess my question is when can I aspect her to be more social? Does it take time to build the bond? How long should I wait?

Attachments

185480_483526441658186_1469774635_n.jpg
B

Briana D

Re: Food!

Usually after you pig is 6 months I believe you should want to start feeding him/her a timothy based pellet. Oxbow ((broken link removed) carries a very high quality pellet with stable vitamin c in it.

I'm glad to hear your pig enjoy timothy - feed him/her as much as they want it is very good for them.

Most guinea pigs always run from their owners. They are prey animals so they are very skittish most of their life. Some people have had great luck in taming their pigs to the point where they will just about come running when their name is called.

I've had my guinea pigs for about 2 years and they run from me when I pick them up but they settle down once they feel safe. Hold your pig more often and that will help greatly with your bond with him/her.

Don't feel bad when they run away its their instincts.

Attachments

001.jpg 061.jpg 064.jpg 065.jpg 070.jpg 003.jpg 010.jpg 002.jpg P1000128.jpg P1000139.jpg IMAG0479.jpg IMAG0480.jpg Princess's babies.jpg Princess's babies2.jpg Princess's babies4.jpg Princess's babies5.jpg Princess's babies7.jpg Princess's babies6.jpg Princess'a babies3.jpg babies in basket5.jpg All 3 of the babies.jpg Awww.jpg Babies eating out of the bowl.jpg Babies on my floor.jpg Black and White boy eating hay and hiding in it.jpg Diamond was sniffing my daughters dress and her brother followed her.jpg Diamond.jpg Brown and white boy with Diamond sniffing.jpg Diamond eating pellets off the floor of the cage.jpg Diamond on my floor.jpg The babies exploring.jpg Brownie8.jpg
M

Makay772

I have had my guinea pigs since Christmas and I will tell you my experience...

Both of them were very shy and nervous, especially when I came to the cage or opened it. Then in the past week, maybe 2, the male always runs up to the cage when he sees me. And both of them will start squealing when I come in the room. I love hearing it!

Anyways, give it time and they will adjust. You will see a difference in the next few weeks, I am sure.

J

jesswade5575

My guinea pig was the exact same way. It would take me forever to catch him & that was about 5 months ago. Now he comes when I call him, lays in my lap & crawls up on my chest and puts his head down. He popcorns all over when he hears his food OR even just his name (Eeyore).

Just keep on holding him - try putting a pillow in your lap and laying him on it & gently pet him the whole time. That is what I did with Eeyore and still do - except now he climbs off the pillow and onto my chest.

Jessica:)

J

JJThinker

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. My piggy even now is coming to my hand; at certain times. Lucy is a cute little piggy.

Attachments

0611122033b.jpg 0613122032.jpg 0613122033.jpg 0614121521.jpg 0614121522a.jpg 0614121523.jpg 0601121548.jpg 0705121414.jpg 0720121033a.jpg 0705121415a.jpg 0705121414b.jpg 0702120935a.jpg 0721121738.jpg
L

LisaGlitterz4MC

By the way...

We also have our first guinea pig, and just took him to the vet for his first checkup this week. She told us to limit him to 1 Tablespoon of pellets per day. In the paperwork she gave us, it says to limit them after they are four months old, and if they are younger than that, to give them unlimited amounts of pellets. Sunflower is only 2½ months old, so I'm not sure why she said to start limiting him now...

Anyway, it does sound logical to me to switch to Timothy based pellets. I haven't heard anything positive about alfalfa for piggies, so why feed them alfalfa-based pellets? You have given us food for thought tonight, and I'm about to check the ingredients on Sunny's and Gumdrop's pellets. Thanks a lot, and let us know whatever else you find out! :D

Attachments

DSCN0614.jpg DSCN0625.jpg DSCN0623.jpg DSCN0613.jpg DSCN0622.jpg DSCN0621.jpg DSCN0616.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.