Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C a few c&c questions....

luv.my.piggies

Cavy Slave
I am sure that the questions i am about to ask have been asked a few times before, but I do not have time to search through tons of posts, so if some really patient, kind folks could just give me some answers, that would be super great! :) and THANKS in advance!

1. Are tops hard to attach to the cage, and are the difficult to open and close

2. why are some of the cages in photos elevated

3. what is easiest way to clean the cage...never dealt with cloroplast before and I dont want to damage it

4. how many grids do I need to make the best cage possible for two pigs with the possiblity of a third in the future...space is not a problem as my small mammals have their own room...please give the measurements for 2 and 3 seperately as I can add onto the cage if I get a third.

5. how long will it take to assemble the cage for a first timer like myself (i have assembled martins rat skyscraper, so I figure I can pretty much do anything at this point!)

Thanks again!:D

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
1. To put a top on the cage is not that difficult and as far as opening and closing I think that would depend on what you choose to use to hold it in place, such as what type of clasp.

2. This is personal preference some may want there cages up off the floor while others may want theres on the floor.

3. You can clean it with a 50/50 solution of vineger and water. Spray the coroplast down and wash it with a wash rag.

4. This would depend on how big you want to go and if you want the cage on the floor or elevated. If you have a perticular cage in mind we might be able to help you figure out a round about how many grids you need. If you want to add another piggie later then I woulldn't go smaller than a 2x4 = 12 grids if placed on floor, obviously quite more if you want to add a top or have up off the floor.

5. Again depending on how you want your cage I would say anywhere from 20min.-4 hours.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
1. Check the gallery. Shelving is popular for lids since it is easier to open/close than grids will be.

2. It's better to have the cage elevated if possible. It will be less drafty, and you won't tower over your pigs as much so they are likely to be a bit less skittish.

3. 50% vinegar. If there's a particularly dirty part, you can use full strength vinegar and let it sit for a bit. Coroplast is pretty durable.

4. The bigger the better, as long as you'll be able to reach the entire cage to clean it. Rectangles or L-shaped cages are the most popular for that reason. Check out the gallery for ideas and the home page for instructions on how to build the cage.

5. It depends on the cage, but they're pretty easy to make. The hardest part is gathering all the supplies. Maybe an hour or so.

luv.my.piggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Very informative and much appreciated.

luv.my.piggies

Cavy Slave
Wow! If they didn't also share the room with two large rat cages, that would definately be a fun home for my pigs! The room also has shelving for all of the animal supplies, so while the small animals have their own room, it's also occupied by other habitats and supplies. I have enough room to build them a fairly large home, though, which I will be doing soon. My piggy is still in her quarantine home for 2 more weeks, so I still have time to view photos and decide exactly what design I want to use. She is going to be so pampered and when I get her a new friend, they will be two happy piggies.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Quarantine home? If you only have one pig, there is no quarantine. I'm confused what you mean.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think he/she quarantines the pig before putting her in the same room with the rats. I think that makes sense, since ratties can get URI too.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
That makes sense. Thanks!

luv.my.piggies

Cavy Slave
Yes, that is what I do, but it's for more than that. I also quarantine pets before they go into their forever habitats because I don't want ANYthing brought into that room. It is sickness free, and I have worked very hard to keep it that way. Even when one of the rats gets a sniffle, I bring them out of the room, treat their sneezes, and they go back when they have finished their antibiotics. Most of my rats are rescues and two of them have recurring myco, so I have to keep sickness to a minimum. I also don't want to bring any bugs into the room, like mites or lice. The quarantine before going into the small animal room is crucial to the health of my furry babies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.