Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Who are they trying to kid

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
I saw this today on thier website and nearly fell of my chair. (broken link removed)

The Dumpling

Cavy Slave
what a big fat LIE

The Dumpling

Cavy Slave
I can't believe they have the nerve to post that! Wait, strike that, yes I can. They're a bunch of liars there. This "Vet Assured" program sounds like nothing but an advertising/marketing ploy. There's no way they conduct site inspection on their suppliers throughout the year - they don't even take care of their own animals.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
AS IF they look at every animal and every supplier! What a crock!!

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
The vets probably do "look them over" but since Banfield knows nothing about small animals, birds, and reptiles, their opinion is worth nothing.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
It makes me crazy that some people will see this and believe it.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Not all Petsmarts have onsite vets. So, since I know this is true, how can an onsite vet look at them.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
What is so hard to believe about this? I absolutely agree that you should adopt animals rather than purchase them from a pet store. However, this does not mean that all pet stores or even all Petsmarts are evil animal abusers that don't care for their animals.

I've been to the local Petsmart and have been impressed with the care they have for their animals. Although the cages are obviously too small, the pigs at least are kept in same sex pairs and were obviously healthy and had fresh veggies in their cages. I was surprised at the worker their who seemed to know every little animal and was describing their personalities and cuddling them.

Also, the site doesn't claim that every store has an in store vet. It says that they have a "supervising veteranarian." I would assume that to mean that their is a local vet that makes periodic visits to the store.

I also think that it's great that Petsmart does not sell cats and dogs and instead does weekend adoptions of rescue animals. Perhaps in the future they could get out of the live animal business altogether and instead adopt out the small animals as well.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:
I've been to the local Petsmart and have been impressed with the care they have for their animals. Although the cages are obviously too small, the pigs at least are kept in same sex pairs and were obviously healthy and had fresh veggies in their cages. I was surprised at the worker their who seemed to know every little animal and was describing their personalities and cuddling them.
Not always true. Most stores depend on the distributer to sex them. They get tossed into cages based on how they arrive. THey don't actually sex them. The distributer does.

LiciaMommycott said:
Also, the site doesn't claim that every store has an in store vet. It says that they have a "supervising veteranarian." I would assume that to mean that their is a local vet that makes periodic visits to the store.
I seriously doubt that since they have a contract with Banfield Medical Group, they would have another Vet come in. I can't see Banfield allowing it. I asked at out local Petsmart if the Banfield vet ever came in and they said NO!

LiciaMommycott said:
I also think that it's great that Petsmart does not sell cats and dogs and instead does weekend adoptions of rescue animals. Perhaps in the future they could get out of the live animal business altogether and instead adopt out the small animals as well.
Yes, they are so wonderful to not sell dogs and cats. It would be great if they didn't sell small animals either, but it won't happen. They don't make the money off the animals, but rather all of the supplies. Plus, they bank on people's ignorance towards small animals. Most people view them as disposable.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
It's just that Petsmart vets are known to rip people off and have incompetent advice. I too agree, our petsmart has good living standards for their pigs(aside from the too small cages and occassional missexing, which is the worst for me), but I still wouldn't go to their vet our buy an animal from there.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
I believe I am right in saying that this chain was closed down in the UK. Hubby and I used to go in to see what they were up too, there was invariably something to coomplain about...and believe me I did.

carrotflavour

Cavy Slave
CavyKind said:
I believe I am right in saying that this chain was closed down in the UK. Hubby and I used to go in to see what they were up too, there was invariably something to coomplain about...and believe me I did.
They didnt close down, they just changed their name to 'pets at home' or were bought by that company.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.